Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Promotion] Bublish

practical experience, FTW Celeste Carrara's Avatar

[Promotion] Bublish

Has anyone here heard of this site? Any reviews or thoughts on this? I'm trying to decide if I want to put my books on there to help attract new readers. Would love to know if anyone has used it yet & your opinions.
    Thanks!
    www.bublish.com

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I very much doubt that they have many readers.

And I am going to publicize my own sites, not someone else's platform.

Just my 2c. The site lacks both utility and appeal.

Thanks Veinglory!

practical experience, FTW robertbevan's Avatar
    i put mine up on there. it's free, and i didn't figure it was going to hurt any. but yeah, it's kind of weird. i linked my 'bubble' on facebook, and my friends who clicked on it wrote back saying that they weren't able to see the bubble without logging in first. (so they didn't bother.)

still... free is free. any little bit of exposure i can get.

here and there again fadeaccompli's Avatar
    From the title of the thread, I was briefly worried that this was going to be some portmanteau of "blog" and "publish". I suppose that would be Blublish, though.

The site itself looks like an overly complex way to package covers and blurbs and spew them across a lot of other websites, rather than tailoring the presentation to the different audiences. I am dubious.

A free way to get your fans to join their site, and possibly annoying them in the process. Sometimes even free things are too expensive.

In general, if you yourself would not use the site or do not deem it interesting enough, do not publish there.

crazy mean SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    I'm going to move this to BR&BC as I think it's probably a better fit there than in Book Promotion And Advice.

ETA: Done!

I've taken a look at Bublish's first page and it's impenetrable. All it does is tell me that it's a book-promoting site: it doesn't actually promote any books to me! I think I'd have to sign up for an account with them to see anything there. I can't be bothered, and don't see why any readers would either.
    Last edited by Old Hack; 11-20-2012 at 02:39 PM.

I can't view the site at work, so I Googled a little.

It was launched by Kathy Meis and Charles Wyke-Smith in June according to this article. The former also founded Serendipite Studios -- the url is no good but there's a cache -- and the latter appears to be a CSS guru. As for how they make money:

The service will be free for readers and for authors up to a certain threshold. Bublish will offer a premium service for high-volume authors or publishers and also make money through ads and a percentage of book sales, Wyke-Smith explained.
    It may have changed since then, but another site states, "Bublish gains money from commissions on the sale of books it does through affiliates like Amazon."

They posted a link to this discussion on their Facebook page.
    Bublishers, u helped us out before. This writer is trying 2 decide whether 2 put their books on Bublish. Can u comment?
    Personally, I approach claims a site will "revolutionize the way writers share their stories and readers find books theyíll love" with skepticism. I also dislike sites that require I register as I've too many online accounts as it is.
    Co-writer/creator of (On break while the artist works on other projects):

Writer & Artist of Brainfuzz (on hiatus): http://www.drunkduck.com/Brainfuzz/

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    God's knickers, I hate textspeech. Just saying.
    John Robinson

Trade published: Until the Last Dog Dies, When Skylarks Fall, To Skin a Cat, The Radiance, and Last Call

Pitfall: sold to Wildblue Press by my agent, Chip MacGregor

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com/blog.htm
    check out my blog; c'mon, you know you want to.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicyclefish View Post
    I also dislike sites that require I register as I've too many online accounts as it is.
    Same here. I would have explored the Bublish site to learn more, but the registration requirement made it not worth the bother.

- Victoria

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
    God's knickers, I hate textspeech. Just saying.
    Oh, so do I.

I'm rather taken with "God's knickers", though.
    "There is only one thing worse than being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass, and that is being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass near an ant colony"
    Oscar Wilde (citation needed)

Thank you Old Hack for moving this to the appropiate board! :-)

Thank you all for your insight. I did join up just so I can get a better look at the site and see what it offers. I didn't upload my book and don't think I ever will. Mostly for the reasons others have mentioned.

Summary: This site looks like
    98%: I want to make money
    2%: a social network for readers, that's a shiny new idea! (newsflash, it isn't)

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceshortcake View Post

I'm rather taken with "God's knickers", though.
    Me, too

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    New this Summer! ePub Creator for paid members! Will wonders never cease! http://www.bublish.com/pricing/?user_is_a=2
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II2014: 2015:

practical experience, FTW JulesJones's Avatar
    This just landed in my inbox:

Hi Jules,
    My name is Joy and I'm with Bublish.

A number of Musa Authors have approached us to distribute their books. That said I wanted to reach out to you, too.

We can get your books live and on all the online retailers fairly quickly.

If you're interested in learning more, please reach out to me or kathy@bublish.com.

We look forward to hearing from you.
    A quick look shows a "first month free, no credit card required" promo at the top of the page, so I think they've moved on to monetising the authors directly.

This came in to my public facing email address, so I'm assuming that they went looking for people with books at Musa.

I'm somewhat bandwidth challenged at the moment, so further dissection of this pinata is left for those in need of candy and popcorn.
    http://www.julesjones.com

Alex loves watching a man do up a silk tie, and heís just found the perfect eye candy on his morning commute. A pity Robinís his new client at work, and off-limits as a dress-up doll.
    Nice Tie -- out now from Loose Id