Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Image search for large images?

  1. #1
    we are the words 'i love you' kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    at the end of your dream
    Posts
    33,759

    Image search for large images?

    It was hard enough to find hi-res wallpaper before, but now both Google and Bing seem to have taken away my ability to specify the resolution of images to search. Now they only have options like "Small," "Large," "Wallpaper," etc., even in the advanced search.

    And their definitions of "Large" and "Wallpaper" are unhelpful when I have a 2880x1800 screen to fill.

    Anyone else notice these options missing? Any other way to search for hi-res images?
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

  2. #2
    Bango Skank Charles Farley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ninth Circle
    Posts
    4,422
    Quote Originally Posted by swachski View Post
    .. you need to get some sensitivity training, man...

    Quote Originally Posted by SWest View Post
    *becomes hopelessly enmeshed in the narcissism*

  3. #3
    Formerly Phantom of Krankor. AW Moderator Torgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    7,634
    Quote Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
    It was hard enough to find hi-res wallpaper before, but now both Google and Bing seem to have taken away my ability to specify the resolution of images to search. Now they only have options like "Small," "Large," "Wallpaper," etc., even in the advanced search.

    And their definitions of "Large" and "Wallpaper" are unhelpful when I have a 2880x1800 screen to fill.

    Anyone else notice these options missing? Any other way to search for hi-res images?
    I still have an 'exactly' option in GIS, so could search for exactly 2880x1800, or common resolutions in pro?

  4. #4
    we are the words 'i love you' kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    at the end of your dream
    Posts
    33,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Farley View Post
    Thanks, but I'm searching for particular kinds of images.

    ETA: Actually, none of those are hi-res enough anyway... They top out at 2560x1600.

    (Anything related to Evangelion 3.0 specifically... only thing I've found so far is this, which is visibly scanned from a poster or similar source, so not the prettiest as wallpaper.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
    I still have an 'exactly' option in GIS, so could search for exactly 2880x1800, or common resolutions in pro?
    Why don't I still have the option??
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

  5. #5
    Formerly Phantom of Krankor. AW Moderator Torgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    7,634
    Quote Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
    Why don't I still have the option??
    Weird. Perhaps they're rolling out some kind of change? I'm using Chrome, too, so it's possible certain features only exist in that browser, or maybe there's some extension hiding it?

    EDIT: Any help?

  6. #6
    we are the words 'i love you' kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    at the end of your dream
    Posts
    33,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
    Weird. Perhaps they're rolling out some kind of change? I'm using Chrome, too, so it's possible certain features only exist in that browser, or maybe there's some extension hiding it?
    Just tried in Chrome. Same as in Safari. I got nothing.

    EDIT: Any help?
    Thanks.

    Dammit, everything is vertical. C'mon, Khara, make some widescreen posters.
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

  7. #7
    Bango Skank Charles Farley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ninth Circle
    Posts
    4,422
    Quote Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
    Thanks, but I'm searching for particular kinds of images.

    ETA: Actually, none of those are hi-res enough anyway... They top out at 2560x1600.
    Sorry . . yeah . . .I just realized that a little late . . . .

    I get this in my google search advaced settings . .

    http://support.google.com/images/bin...5176&ctx=topic
    Quote Originally Posted by swachski View Post
    .. you need to get some sensitivity training, man...

    Quote Originally Posted by SWest View Post
    *becomes hopelessly enmeshed in the narcissism*

  8. #8
    we are the words 'i love you' kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    at the end of your dream
    Posts
    33,759
    I'm in the US.

    Yup, when I go to google.co.uk or google.ca, I get the old options back.

    Watch out, they might be coming for you, too.
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

  9. #9
    Bango Skank Charles Farley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ninth Circle
    Posts
    4,422
    Quote Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
    I'm in the US.

    Yup, when I go to google.co.uk or google.ca, I get the old options back.

    Watch it, they might be coming for you, too.
    The Queen wont allow such nastiness . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by swachski View Post
    .. you need to get some sensitivity training, man...

    Quote Originally Posted by SWest View Post
    *becomes hopelessly enmeshed in the narcissism*

  10. #10
    "Assume Good Intentions" SuperModerator Williebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    youtu.be/QRruBVFXjnY
    Posts
    19,176
    In google (chrome) you can add "size 2880x1800" to the "evangelion" to refine the search.

    "There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

    "Murder at the Beach" -- Anthony Award Nominated Anthology!

    Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
    Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
    More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

    Read the Newbie Guide.

    "We are writers; we own our words. Please choose yours to add light and not just heat."

  11. #11
    we are the words 'i love you' kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    at the end of your dream
    Posts
    33,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Williebee View Post
    In google (chrome) you can add "size 2880x1800" to the "evangelion" to refine the search.
    Doesn't work for me.
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

  12. #12
    "Assume Good Intentions" SuperModerator Williebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    youtu.be/QRruBVFXjnY
    Posts
    19,176
    have you tried searching via duck duck go? (Just in case it is a filtering issue.)

    "There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

    "Murder at the Beach" -- Anthony Award Nominated Anthology!

    Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
    Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
    More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

    Read the Newbie Guide.

    "We are writers; we own our words. Please choose yours to add light and not just heat."

  13. #13
    we are the words 'i love you' kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    at the end of your dream
    Posts
    33,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Williebee View Post
    have you tried searching via duck duck go? (Just in case it is a filtering issue.)
    Doesn't seem to change anything.
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

  14. #14
    practical experience, FTW ave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Posts
    821
    (Using Google images)
    once you've searched for your image, add this to the end of the address and press enter:

    &tbs=islt:2mp,isz:ex,iszw:2880,iszh:1800

  15. #15
    we are the words 'i love you' kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    at the end of your dream
    Posts
    33,759
    The old options now appear in my google image search.

    I checked the UK and Canada google sites, and they've changed, too. It seems they were changing the UI, but released it in the US before they'd added all the old options into it.
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search