AW Amazon Affiliate Store

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Do you have a right to privacy (and to call Obama a "nigger?")

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
    I would just mention that research I've seen suggest kids don't always know quite so much about the internet as we expect. For example, lots of children think Wikipedia is written by an authoritative person or team of people, a la encyclopaedias in the past, and think that if something's online it's authorised ("it can't be copyright infringement if it's on the web."
    These aren't children. And that's still no excuse. Ever since we were allowed to use Wikipedia in school, in every single school I've been too (and I've been to a lot in various socioeconomic neighborhoods) we've been taught that it is not to be used as a source. And we have been taught over and over again about copyright infringement to the point of ridiculousness. If you don't know, that is your problem. Idiots like that are why I've had to sit through a million different stupid lectures on what plagiarism is and why Wikipedia shouldn't be cited definitively. It's ridiculous. They're fucking high schoolers about to be applying to colleges.

But during those lectures, they're probably facebooking on their phones.
    And we've all heard stories about people who unwisely advertised their house party on social networks when their parents were away, and ended up with the party crashed and the house trashed by strangers. I'm not disagreeing that children are often what we would call, in the jargon, 'digital natives', but we can't legislate/moralise as if they all are.
    These are not children if they're throwing house parties when their parents are away. After a certain point, you've got to take responsibility for your own actions. Deliberate ignorance, when the information is right there, a click away, is no excuse. Especially when it's being spoonfed to you all the time.

If you can't expect someone to take care of themselves online, when it's so damn simple, how can you expect them to function in the real world?

Just two weeks ago, I had my third mandatory college "how to use the internet" class. After a certain point, you've got to get it on your own. Grow up and learn how to use the internet or don't use it at all. Simple. But the "they're just kids" excuse doesn't work in regards to internet safety anymore. I will maintain to the end of time that most teens know more about social networking than most adults, and if they don't, they've had much more instruction on how to use it since their fingers have been able to type.
    Last edited by thebloodfiend; 11-20-2012 at 11:03 PM.