Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Book Recommendation

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin IkhlasHussain's Avatar

Book Recommendation

Hi everyone!

So I hope this is the correct place to post this...

My best friend is going away to med school in about a month and a half, and I want to get her an inspirational type book but have no idea what! I know how gruelling med school can be, and so I want to give her something uplifting, maybe funny, and inspirational.

I don't read a lot of non-fiction, so that's why I'm kind of stuck. She likes Malcolm Gladwell's stuff, but she's already got them all!

I know I can just check Amazon, but I'd appreciate any suggestions any of you have.

Thanks so much!
    "Everything's a story. You are a story. I am a story." A Little Princess, Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Whimsical Whims of Ikhlas Hussain
    Facebook
    Twitter

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar
    Comic strip books. Calvin and Hobbes. Pearls Before Swine. Get Fuzzy. The Far Side. Bloom County (it would help if she remembers the 80s, though, since Bloom County could be topical at times)

During grad school I needed a light, mindless escape. It was as necessary as coffee and ramen noodles.
    Short Fiction in the AW Library

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
    Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
    WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.

Quote Originally Posted by IkhlasHussain View Post
    My best friend is going away to med school in about a month and a half, and I want to get her an inspirational type book ....
    Not so sure it would fall into the "inspirational" category, but I think she might find "Cutting for Stone" (by Abraham Verghese) fascinating. It involves a lot of medical info for characters in a third-world country. One of them eventually comes to the US for medical school. It's one of the best books EVER in my opinion, but the members of my reading group agreed with me so I can recommend it without hesitation.
    -----
    Jane

my blog: Writing Alchemy

practical experience, FTW Sunwords's Avatar
    "The Medicus" by Noah Gordon. It deals with medcine in Europe, but also in Baghdad in times of Ibn Sina. It has two sequels, but the first part makes really fascinating reading - although maybe not for someone who hates histo.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin pattycat's Avatar
    I second the recommendation for Cutting for Stone. It's not inspirational non-fiction, but it is an amazing read that a medical student would really enjoy. One of my all-time faves.