• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Shhhh, I'm Hunting Copywight Infwingers

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Recently, I found that a couple of my Writing-World.com articles were posted on other sites -- without permission. (One was even posted without attribution.)
:rant:

One of the sites was a writer's site -- why can't writers learn about copyright and permissions?! Even weirder, the other site was a gay erotic story archive that had posted the article in their writing resources section! (They're the ones who posted the article without attribution!) Actually, I don't mind the gay erotic story aspect. I'm more annoyed by the copyright infringment -- and the fact that they are a pay site but never thought to cough up the dough for my article. ;)

I've contacted the other authors whose articles I found on the sites and informed them of this. Also, I've sent off firm e-mails to the two sites, telling them to remove the articles by close of business tomorrow, etc. But I have a "few" questions... Is there anything else I should do? Is there anything else I should have said? When is it appropriate to contact the site's ISP? Also, what do I do if one of the sites gives me a hard time?

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
You can certainly talk to their ISP. All of them have Terms that allow them to pull a client that pirates or breaks copyright law.. if they choose to do so.

I ran afoul of a situation where my ISP was contacted and I was removed, "poof", without even a chance to plead my case.. but then I was not a paying site, just a personal one.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Anne, do you have an agent? Because if so, hand this over to them. They should have a legal department or pay a retainer to a legal firm to deal with exactly this sort of situation, at no cost to you. I know--my work has been plagiarised several times in the past. Each time, my agent dealt with it at no cost to me, and I ended up getting a nice fat cheque as compensation for the theft.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Old Hack said:
Anne, do you have an agent?
No. I still have the finish my novels. Well, the good ones anyway. I'm not counting the ones I wrote in high school. Or college. Or the first few years after college. Or... Well you get the picture. ;)

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
AnneMarble said:
And the !@#$ who posted it without attribution are at http://www.assgm.com/authors/.

That site features photos that are not office-safe and may be offensive to some individuals. Caution is advised as the photos are not in a restricted area accessible only by signing in. They are in one of the guideline sections.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
DaveKuzminski said:
That site features photos that are not office-safe and may be offensive to some individuals. Caution is advised as the photos are not in a restricted area accessible only by signing in. They are in one of the guideline sections.
Whoops. I should have thought of mentioning that. :eek: :e2hammer:

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
AnneMarble said:
Whoops. I should have thought of mentioning that. :eek: :e2hammer:
Anne: maybe edit your post to include "NWS--adult material"?

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Send 'em an invoice.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Update

AnneMarble said:
Update! The owner of this site took down the article. She explained that she didn't realize it was wrong and thought she was giving me publicity. Sigh. I wish authors would learn more about copyright.

AnneMarble said:
And the !@#$ who posted it without attribution are at http://www.assgm.com/authors/.

:Lecture: Warning: Adult Material at This Site
This one, however, was still up last time I looked -- despite the fact that I CC'ed the ISP as well. I might have to bring out the big(ger) stick...

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Update to the Update

AnneMarble said:

:Lecture: Warning: Adult Material at This Site
This one has been taken down, even though both of the e-mail addresses on the site bounced. (I CC'ed the ISP's abuse department, and they forwarded it to the actual downstream web provider.) I also suggested to one of the other authors whose work was taken that she do the same thing. (I didn't get a response from the second author I contacted, but it might be an old e-mail address.)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Anne, I'm glad that those copyright infringements have been removed. It is horrible when one's work is stolen like that. And Roger--that's a very useful site, thanks for the link (I love your photo, by the way, but must warn you that it makes you look like a celebrity hairdresser!).

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Old Hack said:
Anne, I'm glad that those copyright . And Roger--that's a very useful site, thanks for the link (I love your photo, by the way, but must warn you that it makes you look like a celebrity hairdresser!).
And you do you know I'm not? The picture's a little blurry, but I have a comb in one hand and a blow dryer in the other. :D

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Roger J Carlson said:
And you do you know I'm not? The picture's a little blurry, but I have a comb in one hand and a blow dryer in the other. :D

I nearly married a hairdresser once, who lived on a boat in California. Imagine. Me in California. Ridiculous idea.

(I'm hardly off-topic at all, am I? Sorry.)