Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: A planet without a star may have been found

That cheeky buggerer Maxinquaye's Avatar

A planet without a star may have been found

http://www.astronomynow.com/news/n1211/15rogue/
    A possible free-floating exoplanet, drifting through interstellar space without a star of its own to orbit, has been discovered a hundred light years from Earth. If confirmed, it will be the first of its kind to be proven to exist - and there may be billions more like it out there.
    This is so cool!

Still, I can't help but put this in. Just to throw it out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzWSJG93P8

What if it's not a planet... per se?
    ----
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian Barnes
    "Yes, of course we were pretentious — what else is youth for?"
    ----
    My blog and site:
    Max on Everything

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Great link! Made me smile!

In regards to the planet - just one more illustration of how little we really know. I would like to believe that humanity has finally figured out that just about anything is possible! Of course, too many people can only manage to believe in that which can be seen with their own eyes.

Psychopompous AW Moderator RichardGarfinkle's Avatar
    The thing that may make this not unusual is that it may be a brown dwarf. Brown dwarfs form exactly the way stars do, but they lack enough mass to get fusion started.

Here's a pretty good illustrated description of stellar formation.
    http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/ast122/lectures/lec13.html

The point is that there could be quite a large number of brown dwarfs out there. They would look like free floating planets but are really stars that never started shining.

More analysis would need to be done to tell which this is.
    Sometimes, what people need is to have things asked of them.

Now on Smashwords

That cheeky buggerer Maxinquaye's Avatar
    Isn't that a mere classification thing though? I mean, every celestial body is born in roughly the same way - the difference between a star and a planet is, in essence, which one passed beyond a mass barrier to ignite fusion and which didn't.

Someone said once that Sol is a binary system, except Jupiter never got the last bit of mass in order to ignite. That is of course the premise behind 2010, where Jupiter is ignited artificially.
    ----
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian Barnes
    "Yes, of course we were pretentious — what else is youth for?"
    ----
    My blog and site:
    Max on Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Maxinquaye View Post
    What if it's not a planet... per se?
    It could be the Debt Star.

I wrote a blog.
    Between a good and a bad economist this constitutes the whole difference - the one takes account of the visible effect;
    the other takes account both of the effects which are seen, and also of those which it is necessary to foresee. ~Frederic Bastiat
    Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
    The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
    The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
    If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
    ~ Medievalist

Psychopompous AW Moderator RichardGarfinkle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxinquaye View Post
    Isn't that a mere classification thing though? I mean, every celestial body is born in roughly the same way - the difference between a star and a planet is, in essence, which one passed beyond a mass barrier to ignite fusion and which didn't.

Someone said once that Sol is a binary system, except Jupiter never got the last bit of mass in order to ignite. That is of course the premise behind 2010, where Jupiter is ignited artificially.
    Yes and no or kind of. It is true that the distinction between a gas giant, a brown dwarf, and a star is largely one of mass. But there's also what's swirling around what as formation happens.

One way to think about the development of the entire non-dark-matter, non-dark-energy universe (i.e. the small part we baryonic bigots think is important) is that small asymmetries in the initial distribution of hydrogen (also helium, lithium and other odds and ends) led gravitationally to clumping together into proto-galactic clusters which further clumped into proto-galaxies, proto-stars etc. If enough of this concentrates down to enough stuff in a small enough volume fusion starts. Smaller sized lumps can become brown dwarfs or gas giants.

But there's also heavier gunk out there, the dust that forms planetesimals out of which planets like ours (the small rocky ones) are formed).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetesimal

In a system such as ours there was enough gunk and planetesimals for even our gas giants to get a belly full of heavier stuff probably lodged inside them (it's hard to say). There's certainly a lot of junk rotating around them in the form of moons and rings.

So there's a question about whether this 'rogue planet' had an opportunity as part of a forming solar system to attract that kind of junk or not.

The origin of this object (free standing brown dwarf or orphaned planet) would probably determine a lot about what's inside it and possibly what's in orbit around it.
    Sometimes, what people need is to have things asked of them.

Now on Smashwords

Represent.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardGarfinkle View Post
    The thing that may make this not unusual is that it may be a brown dwarf. Brown dwarfs form exactly the way stars do, but they lack enough mass to get fusion started.

Here's a pretty good illustrated description of stellar formation.
    http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/ast122/lectures/lec13.html

The point is that there could be quite a large number of brown dwarfs out there. They would look like free floating planets but are really stars that never started shining.

More analysis would need to be done to tell which this is.
    True, but there are likely planets out there that have been ejected from their solar systems as well.
    NaNoWriMo:
    The Forest of Oblivion 51,077/50,000
    Finished!

Are you gonna finish that bacon? Vince524's Avatar
    I find it very annoying that the death star joke was done before I got here.

However, isn't more likely that it's a Dyson Sphere? http://jharbour.com/Dyson_sphere_exterior.jpg

Represent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince524 View Post
    I find it very annoying that the death star joke was done before I got here.

However, isn't more likely that it's a Dyson Sphere? http://jharbour.com/Dyson_sphere_exterior.jpg
    Next up - a star with a solid metallic ring around it, right in the middle of the habitable zone.
    NaNoWriMo:
    The Forest of Oblivion 51,077/50,000
    Finished!

If it starts speaking in Orson Welles' voice, run and call the Autobots.
    Quote Originally Posted by blacbird
    You be a baaaaaad man.

That hairy-handed gent
    Astronomers have been speculating about the possibilities of "rogue planets" for quite some time. Problem is, such objects are bloody difficult to detect, even if they might be quite near us in celestial-scale terms. But there's no theoretical reason to think they don't exist, and every theoretical reason to believe that multitudes of them do.

caw
    "Badger! Badger! The weasels have stolen my motor-car!"

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows

"Assume Good Intentions" SuperModerator Williebee's Avatar
    Does it, by chance, look like a big blue phone box?

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

"Murder at the Beach" -- Anthony Award Nominated Anthology!

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
    Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
    More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We are writers; we own our words. Please choose yours to add light and not just heat."

Sorry to burst everyone's science-boners, but this doesn't really exist because exoplanets aren't covered in Genesis.
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

we are the words 'i love you' kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Dibs.
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

Damn it, I wanted to dibsie it! Thanks a lot, space pirate asuka.

Anyway, that really does sound awesome. I'm curious, though - wouldn't a free-floating planet eventually be drawn into orbit around a star anyway? I mean, space is big, but gravity doesn't have an outer limit for any given object, so probabilistically speaking wouldn't it be drawn into or in orbit around a sufficiently large gravitic attractor?
    Am I too stupid to care, or just too bored to think?

I would be a merry wanderer of the night, but my city has curfew laws.

I'm not really crazy, I just like exploring all possibilities in things. If that happens to include angry flying bicycle catfish, that's not my problem.

That hairy-handed gent
    Quote Originally Posted by StormChord View Post
    I'm curious, though - wouldn't a free-floating planet eventually be drawn into orbit around a star anyway? I mean, space is big, but gravity doesn't have an outer limit for any given object, so probabilistically speaking wouldn't it be drawn into or in orbit around a sufficiently large gravitic attractor?
    No. This object is already in orbit around the center of our galaxy, which is the gravitational core. But the gravitational attraction of other stars, given the distances involved between them, is so tenuous that "capture" by one would be exceedingly unlikely. In fact, stars born close together in star-forming nebulae generally drift apart in their adolescence into the kind of loneliness the sun currently inhabits. The only stars gravitationally bound to one another are those siblings which formed as part of the same orbital system.

caw
    "Badger! Badger! The weasels have stolen my motor-car!"

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows

It's a doggy dog world benbradley's Avatar
    Here's some new (to this article and to me, anyway) news, an actual image of a planet that orbits another star:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro...arby_star.html
    Ello.
    NaNoWriMo 2014: Unknown.
    Tweets daily or so.

Quote Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
    No. This object is already in orbit around the center of our galaxy, which is the gravitational core. But the gravitational attraction of other stars, given the distances involved between them, is so tenuous that "capture" by one would be exceedingly unlikely. In fact, stars born close together in star-forming nebulae generally drift apart in their adolescence into the kind of loneliness the sun currently inhabits. The only stars gravitationally bound to one another are those siblings which formed as part of the same orbital system.

caw
    Oh, okay. Thanks!
    Am I too stupid to care, or just too bored to think?

I would be a merry wanderer of the night, but my city has curfew laws.

I'm not really crazy, I just like exploring all possibilities in things. If that happens to include angry flying bicycle catfish, that's not my problem.