Windows 7 doesn't see files saved today

Stephanie Golden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniegolden.net
I had a go-round with the Microsoft forums and no one could figure out what the problem was, so I'm hoping someone here can.

When I save a new version of a file and go to attach it to an email, Windows Explorer doesn't show it and so I can't attach it. I can get around this by saving it to the desktop. Then it appears in the dialog box and I can attach it. But it's ridiculous to have to do that. This only happens with files saved today. I tried changing the sort order but they still don't appear in the list.

On the MS support site I found something called Fixit, which actually fixed this problem initially. But now it's back again and Fixit no longer helps. It tells me it finds nothing wrong. Very irritating.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, one thing you might mention to help your eventual fixer person:

If the file was created, say, last week, and you type in it today and press save - does that file appear in your upload list? This may narrow down whether it's a problem with Save or a problem with Create, if you get my meaning.

One other idea I just had was the Calendar/Create Date. As in, if your computer thinks it's the 7th, and your Created file says it's the 8th, perhaps that'd be why it doesn't show up in Uploading until the next day?

Just a few thoughts...

Stephanie Golden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniegolden.net
If the file was created, say, last week, and you type in it today and press save - does that file appear in your upload list?

It appears in Recent Files (Word 2010). Is that what you mean by upload list?

One other idea I just had was the Calendar/Create Date. As in, if your computer thinks it's the 7th, and your Created file says it's the 8th, perhaps that'd be why it doesn't show up in Uploading until the next day?
Don't think that's the problem.

Stephanie Golden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniegolden.net
I've done that--that is, instead of making a new folder I saved to the desktop. That worked. But I don't want to have to save things elsewhere and then move them around. I'd like to figure out what's wrong and fix it.

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah .. how many files are in the folder . . . thats what I was getting at . . .sorry . . .

windows limits the number of files that can be saved in one location . . .I was just thinking a new folder inside the old folder would help . . . or try going through all your files and delete a few . . .see if that helps . . .

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I never even try looking for files in Windows Explorer. I hate Windows Explore. I save files in folders in Documents, and one of those folders can hold thousands of files. It's the default file location, and I don't have to search for any file.

Stephanie Golden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniegolden.net
WELL--I didn't know this about Windows. There are at least 40 files in that folder, so I tested by creating a new folder inside the old, and lo and behold, it worked.

I am relatively new to Win 7 and used XP for years with lots of files in one folder and no problems like this. Besides, it's only the files saved 'today' that don't show up. I can't understand it. Does this mean I have to keep making new subfolders?

Stephanie Golden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniegolden.net
Yes, but this issue is attaching files to an email, not finding them. In Win 7 Explorer pops up when you try to attach a doc to an email. If Explorer can't see the file, you can't attach it.

I suppose I could avoid the entire issue by using gmail, but my professional email address is my website, and that's a marketing necessity.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Where were you saving them before?

Because, it sounds like that the browser was not in that folder.

Example:
So you have word open and save a file in say the main c:/ (don't do this)

Then you open your email and hit attach, and it opens to the documents folder.

Are you sure you were in the right folder?...cause it can't see it if it's not there. You'd have to navigate to the C:/ to attach the file, cause it's not in that documents folder.

It sounds like when you hit attach it's opening in the desktop folder by default. Which is why you see it when you open attach and save it in the desktop. But not if you save it somewhere else.

The quick links in the windows 7 explorer (documents, desktop etc) are not the only places things show up.

And the limit on how many files is 30,000. If you really have that many time to invest in back up.

Last edited:

Stephanie Golden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniegolden.net
I was saving them in the folder where I've saved all my files for the project. I know how to navigate to the right location when the email attachment box opens in the default folder. And I am quite sure I did navigate to the right one.

Plus, the file that doesn't appear the day I save it is right there the next day, with the correct date and everything. It was there all the time, it just doesn't show up in Explorer on the same day it was saved.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
I was saving them in the folder where I've saved all my files for the project. I know how to navigate to the right location when the email attachment box opens in the default folder. And I am quite sure I did navigate to the right one.

Plus, the file that doesn't appear the day I save it is right there the next day, with the correct date and everything. It was there all the time, it just doesn't show up in Explorer on the same day it was saved.

My first suggestion then is check for virus and malware. That is not normal for Win 7.

If you do a search for the new file via the start menu does it show up right after you've saved it?

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
You may have some sort of filter turned on. Either Explorer (the app) or the directory itself.

You may also be confusing files with links. Links (also known as 'shortcuts') are NOT data files. Links only point to the real data files.

> It appears in Recent Files (Word 2010).

This can be deceptive if you move things around. The 'Recent Files' is nothing more than a list of links. Some of those can point to a file that is not there anymore, and Word has no way of knowing this. This is an example of a badly designed feature built on top of a worst one. It's been around since Word 2.x / Windows 3.x (circa ~1996).

OR you are looking at file links through the 'Recent Places' directory. There, things have directories like Today, Yesterday, This Week, Last Week, etc. So obviously those lists are maintained - links whose files you edited Yesterday will no longer be found in the Today sub-directory.

If you really want to see where things go, try "File->Save As..." and check the directory where Word is pointing. It's likely the current file you are editing will be there.

> When I save a new version of a file and go to attach it to an
> email, Windows Explorer doesn't show it and so I can't attach it.

In general, whenever you edit a file straight from a 3rd party application, this file is copied to the user's temporary directory. All edits go there. For example, edit a file that came as an email attachment will not be saved where you think.

Hope this helps.

-cb

Last edited:

Stephanie Golden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniegolden.net
My first suggestion then is check for virus and malware. That is not normal for Win 7.
I have full AVG protection and did a scan the other day. I'm quite sure there are no viruses.

If you do a search for the new file via the start menu does it show up right after you've saved it?

I made a new file to check this today, and it did show up. And I was also able to attachit to an email message. But this problem has been inconsistent in the past, so I have to wait and see whether it happens again.

GrayLensman

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Have any of the "disappearing" files reappeared? What about a command line search? Do they show up there?

I can provide steps if desired.

Stephanie Golden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniegolden.net
Have any of the "disappearing" files reappeared? What about a command line search? Do they show up there?

They never disappeared except in Explorer, on the day I saved or modified them. On the next day they were there. This was true no matter how I sorted the files. And Word could see them even on the same day. But Win 7 uses explorer to attach files--that was the problem.

Were any of the files open and in use by another program (like Word) while you were trying to attach them?

I had an exchange with someone on the MS community forum who kept suggesting different things. What seemed to work was doing a repair of Office 2010. That surprised me--I thought it was a Win 7 issue. But you've hit on something, since the file now appears the same day, but only after I close it in Word. Very annoying, since there was no such problem in XP and Word 2003.

GrayLensman

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
They never disappeared except in Explorer, on the day I saved or modified them. On the next day they were there. This was true no matter how I sorted the files. And Word could see them even on the same day. But Win 7 uses explorer to attach files--that was the problem.

OK.

This still his all the earmarks of a date/time stamp issue. You say below that it appears to be caused by MS Word. That could be true.

Maybe try this: In File/Options, go to the Save options and have MS Word use a different folder for the autorecover file location. See if that has any effect.

I had an exchange with someone on the MS community forum who kept suggesting different things. What seemed to work was doing a repair of Office 2010. That surprised me--I thought it was a Win 7 issue. But you've hit on something, since the file now appears the same day, but only after I close it in Word. Very annoying, since there was no such problem in XP and Word 2003.

This almost sounds like what I said above about the autorecover file location.

Stephanie Golden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniegolden.net
In File/Options, go to the Save options and have MS Word use a different folder for the autorecover file location. See if that has any effect.

It did. It worked. Now the new doc that I just saved and left open appears in the attach dialog box. (Before, I forgot to say, the temp file appeared if the file was open, but not the actual one.) So you were right, and you solved this problem that none of the Microsoft experts understood. Bless you!

GrayLensman

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
IT is my crossword puzzle. *And* I get paid to do it.

If it weren't for my hunger to be published, I'd be one happy little worker bee. :D

Oh, and you're quite welcome. My pleasure.