Adobe Reader printing problem mystery

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
This problem has been going on for maybe a year or more. It only affects me once a month but always makes me wonder about it.

It concerns printing a page from the wellsfargo (.) com website, where I go to pay my mortgage bill.

Set up: working on MacBook Pro, Firefox 16.0.2 browser, Adobe Reader 9.5.2 .

I login to the website, click on the current online statement link, which opens Adobe Reader and pops up the statement on the screen. It looks fine, like every other PDF. I open up the print menu, via <control P> or from the File dropdown menu. Settings look fine, I click on Print and get an error box saying, "The document could not be printed." I click the <ok> and a second error box pops up saying, "There were no pages selected to print."

But there *are* pages selected - default is ALL, I've tried changing it to one of the other option (current view, current page, or specifying page 1) and that doesn't matter.

So then I go to the PC desktop we have, which has Firefox 3.6.24 and Reader 9.5.2, and do the same steps, and it prints fine from there.

NOTE: I print PDFs using Adobe Reader from other websites on my Mac frequently, no problem. Only this wells fargo website gives me trouble.

So, what's up? It's just a nuisance, not a real problem as long as the PC is available. And my husband can print them from his PC laptop fine.

I just don't understand the disconnect between the page looking just fine on the screen and then not being able to print it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Deleted member 42

I'd try downloading the .pdf file (control-click on the link, chose a location to save it) and I'd use Preview to print.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
When I click on the PDF link it automatically goes into my downloads, but then when I try to open that file I get an error message saying, "There is no default application specified to open the document session."

???

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
From the Reader print menu I click on the PDF on bottom left, then "open PDF in preview" and I get error message saying "preview is not supported."

I try "save as PDF" and get error message "Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported. Instead, choose File > Save."

But there is no Save in my file menu. Aarrggh.

Deleted member 42

When I click on the PDF link it automatically goes into my downloads, but then when I try to open that file I get an error message saying, "There is no default application specified to open the document session."

???

First, Adobe uses preview as a verb; you can preview a .pdf file before you print it. Preview is also the image and .pdf application that Apple includes as part of OS X.

To set an application as the default automatic application to open a particular kind of file (like .pdf files):

1. Display the Get Info window for the file (From the Desktop/Finder, go File menu ---> Get Info)

2. Scroll down in the Get Info window to the section that says

Open with

On an OS X install, the default application for .pdf files in OS X is Preview; you may need to re-set it to Preview, or you can set it to Adobe's Reader.

Select an app from the menu.

You can then, if you wish, choose to have all .pdf files open in that app.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, but I'm throwing in the towel on this problem. I printed several pages from Adobe Reader off other websites this morning. Just the wells fargo website that gives me trouble.

Oh well, it's only once a month, so I can deal with it. Just wondering why ... seems like wells fargo is anti-Mac or something.