Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 'Casting' your novel

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin kibou's Avatar
    Little island between America and mainland Europe.
    I definitely cast, but like many have said, it has to be someone I don't know. There is no way I could cast famous people.
    I have an idea in my head, say race/hair colour/age, and then I have to find a picture that looks similar to what I'm envisaging. This can take some time!
    When I write, the characters act out the scene in my head (much like a film), so I need to be able to visualise them. I often seek out visual representations of clothing, locations etc etc.
    I find unless I have a face and a name (I can spend days looking for the right name), I cannot get them to act in my head. Personalities, mannerisms and voices come from this acting, so that isn't picture specific.
    I work on Scrivener, so I have a character template complete with photo for each of my main players and a few of the minor.
    I couldn't work any other way.

As I write, a picture grows. Sometimes I come to visualize someone I know or an actor. Colin Farell with blue eyes for my (so far) favorite MC, Liam Neeson in a later book. However, I don't build my character accordingly. It works the other way around.

The men are always clear to me, the women not so much.

practical experience, FTW cmi0616's Avatar
    I don't usually do it, but I knew I wanted to write a book with a hippie character in it after watching Goats with David Duchovny.
    Goodreads- let's be friends!
    [/COLOR][/FONT] [/FONT][/COLOR]

Writing my way off the B Ark Becky Black's Avatar
    I rarely do it, but must admit that one of the main characters in my most recent draft just happens to look exactly like an actor named Tyler Hoechlin.
    Writer of m/m and now f/f romance. My novels are available from Loose Id and my shorts from JMS Books and Dreamspinner Press. See more details in my Absolute Write Library thread.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Sieglinde View Post
    I do that a lot. My current WIP's two leads look like David Tennant and Misha Collins.
    Well, yeh. I could cast them in anything ... well, maybe not cement! But, I couldn't use them as characters in my work. Too limiting. But I do like your train of thought!

The only novel I've "cast" anyone in I cast with real people. Not people I know, just people I've seen: a motorcyclist getting pulled over by a cop in the parking lot of my gym; the kid who works the drive-thru at the chicken place I like.... that kind of thing.
    WIPs

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
    Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
    Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
    Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345