How did you become a freelance writer?

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing how you became a freelance writer and what was the motivation for going that route?

Originally, I started out as a short fiction writer...but three months before graduating from the University of Maine, I had an opportunity to interview a title winning bodybuilder. On spec, I sent that article into MuscleMag International and was shocked when they accepted and paid me $100.00! That was in 1985. I'm still writing for them, and yes, the payment has gone up considerably.

That experience opened the floodgates for me, though Bodybuilding wasn't exactly my cup of tea. But I saw it as a viable way to get my stuff in print. So, I began approaching Bodybuilding and fitness professionals for interviews. That has served me very well over the years, and I've been steadily (all paying markets) printed in such magazines as Muscle & Fitness, Flex and MuscleMag.

My real interest lies in the horror genre, however. I live and work in Maine, home of horrormeister Stephen King, and always wanted to get into Fangoria magazine. I broke in with them in 1986 by sending them an interview I'd done with an author by the name of John Coyne. That led to another long association, and I'm still working for Fango. In the years since, I've covered movies for them (Pet Sematary was the first), with the latest being Dark Shadows, starring Johnny Depp and directed by Tim Burton.

Between all this madness, I've been actively freelancing in the "nostalgia" market. I'm now old enough that my childhood has officially entered the realm of "vintage" (I'm 60), so writing about the late 50s, 1960s and 70s has proved both lucrative and a lot of fun. There are several publications that deal in this kind of subject matter, and they're always looking for new approaches and ideas.

How did you become a freelancer?

rod

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
A fellow writer put out a call from a Korean press for fiction on spec for the English as a Foreign Language educational market. As a former ESL teacher, I thought I could do that. I've sold three manuscripts and received four or five kill fees. They take as many stories as they can get and then whittle down to the ones they really want. It's not like non-fiction freelance work.
I also do lesson plans and teacher's guides. I'm no where near earning a living at it (pay for material geared for teachers is not that good, and market options are limited because I don't have a current teaching position), but it's only been a year or so. I'm hopeful one thing will lead to another.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I've enjoyed writing since I was young, but always knew that it would be very difficult to make a living at it -- so I pursued other, more reliable careers for most of my life. At one point I became unemployed and started working hard at finding a way to make money while doing something I really enjoyed -- writing.

So I managed to get myself in print in various and varied publications from Renaissance Magazine to computer magazines to home school magazines. I found that I was able to put words together on a page on nearly any topic in a way that editors liked and people wanted. I continue to write for various different magazines, mostly when I can find a need for them. I don't have any consistent or reliable avenues for writing, still, but when I can find the needs, I can write!