A cooking related rant

Deleted member 42

I'll be bringing the green bean casserole and the pumpkin pie. :Thumbs:

Honestly, I don't know how I missed the green bean casserole thing.

I noticed that out here in Western Washington not only do all the grocery stores have end-caps with the ingredients, but even Trader Joe's does, right down to TJ-branded French Fried Onions.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Not having many people around (my wife, my adult son, and myself), I'm planning a simple, nontraditional, nutritious meal: A big crockpot roast with vegetables, cooked slowly all day, and some cornbread. I need to find a good-sized lamb roast tomorrow, and if I can't do that, go for beef. Marinate it overnight Wednesday with some wine, herbs and pepper, then crockpot it all day at low heat with chopped potatoes (from my garden), celery, carrots, brussel sprouts, bok choi, rutabaga, onion, parsnip, daikon radish) in a beef broth with some barley and quinoa added.

Always gets eaten, great for leftovers.

caw

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Blac, next time you do a beef roast in the Crock-Pot, try adding stout instead of wine (I prefer Murphy's to Guinness, personally). I promise you won't regret it. :)

Actually, I have decided to do exactly that. Bought some Guinness just today. Haven't tried Murphy's, but another really good one is the American Deschutes' Obsidian Stout.

caw

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Actually, I have decided to do exactly that. Bought some Guinness just today. Haven't tried Murphy's, but another really good one is the American Deschutes' Obsidian Stout.

caw

Oooh, oooh! Please let me know what you think! :)

The Guiness/Murphy's thing is more sentiment, I think, since Murphy's was the first stout I ever tried. But I do notice a flavor difference between the two, and I do prefer the Murphy's, though if the store only has Guinness I don't usually bother making a special trip elsewhere.

I used to occasionally drink Spaten Optimator, because who can resist a beer called "Optimator?" :) (Plus it's quite good.) But I've never cooked with it; it's very hard to find. I'll keep an eye out for the Obsidian Stout.

Warning: For the first half-hour/hour or so the beer won't smell great, and you'll wonder if you made a huge mistake. It'll get better, I promise, and by the end of the next hour or so your mouth will be watering.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Sometimes it's not possible to say "enough is enough". In my family, I'm the only one who can cook anything beyond the daily basics. If I refused to do the holidays, my family would eat supermarket pizza and ice-cream :-/ Not very festive...

Also, they're never all happy, someone always complains about the food and dad grumbles because he has to do the dishes. Then he and mom will argue because mom tries to help with the dishes. My sisters will disappear to their rooms and computers with not so much as a thanks for the meal and I'll despair for a while and contemplate those brandy truffles.

EVERY.FRELLING.TIME! :D

And this is with just four other people to feed. If the lady the OP posted about has more than that (likely, most people didn't live the bohemian lifestyle we did and settled far away from our extended fam) and has been doing it for 19 years and never asked for the duty in the first place, well, I can see how she might be exhausted and entitled to complain.

I asked to be the designated 'hostess', I was 13 and tired of the same food for the hols but eaten off the nice china :D
I'm pretty glad I'm not going to my fam's for the hols this year, can't afford to travel. One of my sisters is coming to visit for Xmas so I'm looking forward to cooking for just two and we have similar tastes so that'll make it so much easier.

Assuming we don't end up pulling each other's hair out... or eyes...

We're so dysfunctional, I know...

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I believe peach trees have been bred to have significantly greater cold tolerance in just the last 50 years, maybe less. It's wonderful - I have a dwarf peach in my zone 6A front yard, not sheltered from the elements at all, and every year it bears so much fruit the branches can barely support the weight.

That is so cool!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

caw
Please do let us know what you think of it. I'm sensing it ought to be wonderous.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Blac, next time you do a beef roast in the Crock-Pot, try adding stout instead of wine (I prefer Murphy's to Guinness, personally). I promise you won't regret it. :)

I have done this with stout, with wine, and with beer. Oh, lausy! It's GOOD. The meat falls apart and it's great on mashed potatoes, on noodles, on gnocchi, on rice, on bread... YUM.

Carry on.