Would you write about something illegal?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Would you write about something you've done or something you do that is illegal? I am thinking yes because it is about something important that could help other people and it is for a glossy mag. If they take it, they want it in first person. I think, for this, it works best in first person. I am just wondering how you guys would feel in this situation. Thanks.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it is a public confession in a way, but I am not too worried about getting into trouble over this, and I have no plans to run for office.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
veinglory - what sort of legal actions are you talking about?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you write down a confession to a crime, I assume you could be prosecuted for it. You didn't specify otherwise.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd make sure the statute of limitations had expired, and I would publish it under an alias which doesn't easily lead to me. I'd disguise names and places as needed, so I don't implicate others or lead to myself.

But I do write about things I've done which were and are illegal, fairly often, mostly at Yahoo Answers when some kid without a clue wants to try certain drugs or sexual practices.

Maryn, stuck in mom mode

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I'd make sure the statute of limitations had expired, and I would publish it under an alias which doesn't easily lead to me. I'd disguise names and places as needed, so I don't implicate others or lead to myself.

But I do write about things I've done which were and are illegal, fairly often, mostly at Yahoo Answers when some kid without a clue wants to try certain drugs or sexual practices.

Maryn, stuck in mom mode

I didn't kill anyone or rob a bank. Also, this publication would never go for an alias. I'm okay with that. I will never write under an alias. I believe in taking credit and responsibility for my work. They want it because it is a true story and my story. I think it will bring attention to a greater cause, and isn't that the point of journalism?

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I didn't kill anyone or rob a bank. Also, this publication would never go for an alias. I'm okay with that. I will never write under an alias. I believe in taking credit and responsibility for my work. They want it because it is a true story and my story. I think it will bring attention to a greater cause, and isn't that the point of journalism?

If you really want advice, then don't be coy - what sorts of illegal acts are you talking about? No one can tell you "Yes, this is a good idea" or "No, don't do this" when you could be talking about anything from shoplifting to international terrorism.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What sorts of illegal acts are you talking about? No one can tell you "Yes, this is a good idea" or "No, don't do this" when you could be talking about anything from shoplifting to international terrorism.

This. There are good illegal acts and bad illegal acts. I would think your mother's advice would stand you in good stead here: to wit :granny: Do you want me to have to explain this to your grandparents?

If the answer is no - then you probably shouldn't have done it. And you certainly shouldn't be publicising it ;)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be coy, but it is a long story and I didn't really want to get into it here. I was just wondering if this is something you, fellow writers, have come across or had to deal with at all.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be coy, but it is a long story and I didn't really want to get into it here. I was just wondering if this is something you, fellow writers, have come across or had to deal with at all.

I haven't personally written about any hypothetical illegal acts I may have committed in the past, but other writers certainly have.

I don't know what advice you are looking for here.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, ok. Well - I haven't. If it was something illegal that I was proud of, I'd write about it - but I'd do it as fiction because I believe quite strongly that except in the case of true heroism, fiction reaches people more directly than non-fic. (In cases of every-day true heroism, th opposite is true.)

TheKoB

Smooth Operator
Registered
Reaction score
If it is something like drug abuse I would go for it. Certainly I can understand your fear to publish criminal experiences, but as a matter of fact the world will benefit from your accounts of it.
Just think of William Burroughs who happily swallowed every drug he could find and documented his experiences for mankind.

I don't know what else you could have done, but if you feel to insecure, then leave it. No need to torture yourself unnecessarily.

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You mean, a magazine wants you to write--in first person--about something you've done illegally? That sounds very odd to me. So, the mag is aware you've committed this illegality, whatever it is? You say it will help other people. Well, I could see this, if it was your story about how you struggled with poverty and had to steal food to live, etc. I personally wouldn't incriminate myself in any way when writing a true life story. Too many variables!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I think others were trying to say it depends on the nature of the crime. If it's driving drunk, some people won't like it but police and prosecutors almost certainly won't go after you. There are many books and magazine articles about that, people telling of their drinking, drunk driving, illegal drug use and lots of other things from recovering alcoholics and such. If it's a really major crime such as murder and there's "reasonable suspicion" that you actually murdered someone, then they may investigate.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score

Most glossy mags, especially in he UK, are more than happy to print stories under a pen name - in fact, certain types of stories routinely have names changed.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've never found a publication of any kind that didn't allow the use of a pseudonym. Not that using one would protect you for a second, if you really confessed to a serious crime.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This all hinges on what 'illegality' you're talking about. If you don't state what it is then this thread will simply go round in circles.

And to say you don't want to go into it because 'it's a long story' is waffle. Any illegal action can be covered in less than half-a dozen words.

Goldenleaves

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Just one thing, you know it'll be sensationalised a bit, right? The purpose of these glossy mags is to make a profit. People who read them don't rush to buy the stories of well meaning people who want to help others. They usually want to read about the dirt and sleaze. It's likely your story will be portrayed from that angle. Which isn't a problem at all, as long as you're ready for that.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it will bring attention to a greater cause, and isn't that the point of journalism?
Nope. The point of journalism is to report on events. Bringing attention to a greater cause is the point of public relations, activism or martyrdom.

If you are comfortable with writing about an illegal act perpetrated by yourself, and accepting of any consequences, write the story. Don't look for an excuse to justify it, or an excuse to give about why you didn't do it. It's your choice, not ours.

Jeff