Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: It's polling day in England and Wales...

Out to lunch

It's polling day in England and Wales...

..and I nearly missed it.

Elected police commissioners are a pretty stupid idea in my boo. Couple that with the date (no other elections taking place) and the publicity (no funded leaflets, so there hasn't been any at all) and you've got a recipe for a farcically low turnout, but someone's going to get elected whether you like it or not. The Guardian blog gives a good idea of just how few people are voting.

I don't think I know anyone's who voting. Or who cares. Or who's been able to find out much about it.

Stupid question - what are the commissioners actually going to do?
    Last edited by seun; 11-15-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: typo

Out to lunch
    Quote Originally Posted by seun View Post
    Stupid question - what are the commissioners actually going to do?
    Hopefully nothing. I presume these are just joking offices so the coalition can pay lip service to localism.

The worrying alternative is that they'll actually have power. Imagine some UKIP tosser elected on nought point bugger-all of the vote actually ordering police officers around.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    I may vote on the way home if I'm not too late.
    Behind the smile, there's danger and a promise to be told.

knows a hawk from a handsaw Shakesbear's Avatar

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
    A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

Out to lunch
    Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    I may vote on the way home if I'm not too late.
    Stay safe. It's a voting frenzy out there.

practical experience, FTW
    Eh I'm not voting. Didn't even know until just now.

I wouldn't mind, but all we got was a voting card. Even if I went, I wouldn't know whom I'm voting for, or why (other than the obvious 'I want to be your elected police commissioner').

Don't know you, mate. Move on. Nothing to see here.

Out to lunch
    I voted. That way, if a UKIP candidate does get in (and on the turnouts reported being by the BBC and the Guardian it's not impossible) at least I can say, 'Hey, not my fault'.

Quote Originally Posted by Priene View Post
    I voted. That way, if a UKIP candidate does get in (and on the turnouts reported being by the BBC and the Guardian it's not impossible) at least I can say, 'Hey, not my fault'.
    It wasn't promoted at all where I live so i never voted. Pity I'm not at home.

Out to lunch
    Quote Originally Posted by fireluxlou View Post
    It wasn't promoted at all where I live so i never voted. Pity I'm not at home.
    It wasn't promoted anywhere. The Tories and Liberals decided not to allow free postage for election leaflets, unlike every other election. Result: no-one knows their candidates and most don't even know there's an election on. Another fantastic coalition success.

knows a hawk from a handsaw Shakesbear's Avatar
    I met one of the candidates for Norfolk - only he had the sense to withdraw from the farce. He was probably the only reason I knew about the whole thing. And getting a voting card which I have not used.

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
    A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

In Time-Out For My Sins
    I did think about voting but could find out hardly anything about the candidates in my area. Then I had a really busy day and totally forgot about it until this morning.

I doubt it matters. From what I have found out, the PC will mainly be a front man with little power.

The only way I could be bothered to vote would be if one of the candidates had been named Jim Gordon.
    Destiny Deceived - Internet serial story. Written by one of the best writers I have ever been.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
    Douglas Adams

In Time-Out For My Sins
    So .... the average turnout was what? 8 - 10%? Quite a lot of them spoiled.....

What a waste of time.

What an uplifting series of photographs, thanks. I particularly liked the "Commissioner Gordon," "Batman," and "The Answer is Never More Politicians" ones. I think I need a t-shirt or bumper sticker of that last one.
    I wrote a blog.
    Between a good and a bad economist this constitutes the whole difference - the one takes account of the visible effect;
    the other takes account both of the effects which are seen, and also of those which it is necessary to foresee. ~Frederic Bastiat
    Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
    The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
    The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
    If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
    ~ Medievalist

Out to lunch
    Quote Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
    I did think about voting but could find out hardly anything about the candidates in my area. Then I had a really busy day and totally forgot about it until this morning.

I doubt it matters. From what I have found out, the PC will mainly be a front man with little power.
    They apparently will have the power to hire and fire the heads of their local forces.

They also have the power to set budgets - and there are people who are very concerned that this will mean privatising the police by the back door, by putting various police activities out to tender. G4S (who made such a hash of security at the Olympics that the Army had to be called in) already have contracts to run various services for Lincolnshire police, for example.
    The trilogy Tanwchs of Ytir by Lesley Arrowsmith is now available on Smashwords (YA fantasy) and I have a blog at http://morwennatower.blogspot.com

I didn't vote, and neither did anyone I know.

Our local BBC site had short profiles of all the candidates, but they all pretty much promised to do exactly the same thing - be tough on crime, with no real specifics. An independent candidate ended up winning in my area; she was the only one who seemed to have any experience of management within the police force, which I'm sure played a huge part in her getting elected. My sister in law works for the police and she was given no more information than anyone else as to who she should elect to run her department.

Part of the reason I didn't vote was in protest of party affiliations being dragged into the whole process. The main reason though is that I worked all day then had a pub quiz to go to in the evening, wasn't about to sacrifice that just to go and vote.
    ~Cat~

WIP - some sort of time-travellish apocalyptic urban fantasy weirdness
    April Nano project

Out to lunch
    The first action by Avon and Somerset's new commissioner (Sue Mountstevens, Independent, voted in on a 20% turnout,) is to get the Chief Constable to resign after telling him he must reapply for his own job.

Well done, the Coalition, for this startling demonstration of local democracy in action.