Blovels Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob1965

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
A blovel is a novel written on the fly in short daily posts on a blog. Each post is 500 words max, and each post ends with suspense so the reader will want to read the next post. A typical blovel ends up being around 60-100,000 words in length and is usually finished in less than a year. The story becomes addictive to the readers and thus it builds an audience for the author.

I write blovels, and as far as I know, I’m the only one doing so according to the description given above. I believe blovels are a new art form for fiction. I believe they are the future of fiction, and I would appreciate anyone who could tell me where I might find others doing blovels. Or, if you’re thinking of starting one, I would sincerely enjoy dialoging with you.

http://gordons-ghosts.com

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
Sounds similar to a trend in fanfiction about a year ago.

Folk called them drabble fics but obiviously they were a lot longer than 100 words. It was roughly 100 words per update but some were longer. Readers went crazy for them for a while because they were quick to read and constantly updated. Like all trends, it faded.

Interesting idea for a blog. Good luck with it.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
A blovel is a novel written on the fly in short daily posts on a blog. Each post is 500 words max, and each post ends with suspense so the reader will want to read the next post. A typical blovel ends up being around 60-100,000 words in length and is usually finished in less than a year. The story becomes addictive to the readers and thus it builds an audience for the author.

I get the concept - the problem is, it only really works if you are reading one post a week, or a day. If you read more than that, the constant resolution-action-cliffhanger sequence becomes very irritating.

I write blovels, and as far as I know, I’m the only one doing so according to the description given above.

You're not. Trust me. I've seen many of them over the years - in blogs, fan-fic, magazines, I've even seen writers write their book on twitter 140 characters at a time. I've seen a couple of folks do the same thing on facebook, and a couple of years ago there were a couple of big novels that were written and posted from text messages.

It's been done.

Not only that, but it's been done for decades. Think back to the pulp magazines of the 50's - they were short serialisation that did the same thing - a couple of hundred, maybe thousand words, ending on a dramatic cliffhanger - 'read on next week to see how Captain Armavagus escapes from the floating snake pit of Death' sort of thing.

I believe blovels are a new art form for fiction.

They're not. This sort of serialisation in small parts has been the norm for most of the last 150 years at least, maybe longer.

I believe they are the future of fiction, and I would appreciate anyone who could tell me where I might find others doing blovels. Or, if you’re thinking of starting one, I would sincerely enjoy dialoging with you.

A quick google search, or half an hour spent on FF.net will show you a lot of people doing the same thing. in fact, FF.net is a perfect example - it's very common for folks to post a chapter at a time, with days, weeks or even months in between. The only difference is that FF.net host the story, rather than your own blog.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's interesting. Except for the constant cliffhanger part, but that's my problem.

Blovels probably won't become that big, for the reasons outlined above, but they could be rather popular if one managed to get publishing contract. I have a question, though. About original fiction that you put on the web, how likely is it that a publisher will take it? Doesn't putting it on a public blog count as self-publishing?

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
:welcome: Bob!

Ugh, Blovel is a strange word. As other said, this concept is not new.

Why not just write your novel and submit to agents and or publishers? You post it on your blog and its considered published.

I must say, however, that you blog looks supernaturally fun! :D

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Reminds me of an email correspondence I had with a friend some years ago, where we were each writing part of a novel in turn. It descended into each of us getting the protag into as difficult a situation as possible and leaving the other author to get them out. Hilarious, but not publishable. Probably not even of interest to anyone but the players.

Bob1965

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Sounds similar to a trend in fanfiction about a year ago.
Folk called them drabble fics but obiviously they were a lot longer than 100 words. It was roughly 100 words per update but some were longer. Readers went crazy for them for a while because they were quick to read and constantly updated. Like all trends, it faded.
Interesting idea for a blog. Good luck with it.

Thanks.

Could you come up with a less horrible name? "Blovel" sounds like onomaopoeia for vomiting.

I didn’t invent the word, actually. I just thought that’s what they were called.

I get the concept - the problem is, it only really works if you are reading one post a week, or a day. If you read more than that, the constant resolution-action-cliffhanger sequence becomes very irritating.

In my opinion, each post doesn’t have to end as a cliffhanger, per se, only with a suspenseful element. That could be a question, perhaps, or an ongoing sequence of events. “…with that being done, they walked into the room…” Something like that.

You're not. Trust me. I've seen many of them over the years - in blogs, fan-fic, magazines, I've even seen writers write their book on twitter 140 characters at a time. I've seen a couple of folks do the same thing on facebook, and a couple of years ago there were a couple of big novels that were written and posted from text messages.
It's been done.

I sure would like to find others who are doing the same thing. If you have any leads. Please let me know.

Not only that, but it's been done for decades. Think back to the pulp magazines of the 50's - they were short serialisation that did the same thing - a couple of hundred, maybe thousand words, ending on a dramatic cliffhanger - 'read on next week to see how Captain Armavagus escapes from the floating snake pit of Death' sort of thing.

I know there’s been serialization since the Victorian age, but I’m specifically referring to blovels as I described in the OP.

I think it's interesting. Except for the constant cliffhanger part, but that's my problem.
Blovels probably won't become that big, for the reasons outlined above, but they could be rather popular if one managed to get publishing contract. I have a question, though. About original fiction that you put on the web, how likely is it that a publisher will take it? Doesn't putting it on a public blog count as self-publishing?
I always thought it kind of went along with self-publishing. Once a blovel is finished, it is taken down from the blog and the author can then make a paperback novel of it, put it up for sale, and start a new blovel. I suppose one could get a deal with a publisher to handle the “blooks” if they had a good audience for their blovels. Or even prove that they can write a good story, that people read their work, and end up with a contract for other original novels.

Ugh, Blovel is a strange word. As other said, this concept is not new.
Why not just write your novel and submit to agents and or publishers? You post it on your blog and its considered published.
I must say, however, that you blog looks supernaturally fun!

Thanks, Susan. I like to write in blogs. I can do a post a day and I don’t feel overwhelmed by the grind of writing a novel for a year with no reader participation. I have a short attention span; I think a lot of readers do to.

So...serial fiction (certainly not a new idea) in very small chunks?
I listened to a podcast on serialization in romance (DBSA podcast, #32) recently...You might check it out.

Thanks, LJD.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Me, I'd vote for "novog." Yes, it's somewhat Lovecraftian, but better than than making your readers think about explosive vomiting.

- Victoria

I'm sure most wouldn't have this problem, but as a diabetic, that looks like a misspelling of "Novalog". But, yeah, better, I think, than "blovel".

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A blovel is

... a horrible word.

I write blovels, and as far as I know, I’m the only one doing so

No you're not. I've seen loads of them. Very few are good.

if you’re thinking of starting one, I would sincerely enjoy dialoging with you.

Do you mean "talking with you"? If so, why not just write that? Or do you mean "writing dialogue with you"? Again, if so, why not just write that? It would be clearer, and more elegant, and would avoid another "eugh" moment from your readers.

###​

I wonder if this thread would fit better in our Self Promotion room than in here.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It really is just plain old serial fiction, and being on a blog doesn't change this. It also sounds like it's pretty much all first draft, which doesn't have to be bad, but is a problem with many writers.

Few readers have short attention spans, and attention spans are not getting shorter. The great majority of readers still prefer long books, and even children are reading very long novels. Didn't Harry Potter teach anyone anything about length and attention spans.

I like a lot of the serial fiction I've read, but I always wait and read it until after the last installment is finished. I usually do the same thing with trilogies and the like. I didn't read any of King's Dark Tower books until the last one was out.

I think you'll find an audience for anything, if you write well enough, but not because it's short segments on a blog, and certainly not because attention spans are getting shorter. If readers want it, they'll want it because it's as good, or better, than whatever else that have to do or read with their time.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I had too much novog at the Christmas party last year. I bloveled all the way home.

Although, I'm thinking more along the lines of alien sex...

His blovel twitched, gained volume, and reached toward her. She spun her tentacles and her high-pitched squeal stung my ears. In a quick bound, she lept at him, encapsulating the blovel with her novog. Her scream ramped in tone and volume, and the windows shattered, showering me with shards...

Last edited:

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with all of James' post.
I want to read polished stories. My attention span is only shortened by poor editing and its similars. Also, I usually only want to start a serial if I know it has an end. What could be worse than getting caught up in a story only to find it just drops off because THE AUTHOR LOST INTEREST (it happens all the time with serial fiction online)?

Status
Not open for further replies.