Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Newest dumbocity (dumb + atrocity = dumbocity) from our school

Newest dumbocity (dumb + atrocity = dumbocity) from our school

In advance of the kids reading S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders, a teacher posed some questions to the kids to have them thematically on the same plane as the book.

One of the questions was whether the kids thought violence was ever an acceptable way to resolve a conflict.

One kid, a good friend of my daughter's, answered that yes, he thought that sometimes violence is what gets a result. The teacher asked him to stay after class.

(Prepare to facepalm.)

After class the teacher just wanted to say to him that she "found your answer just so interesting because Ghandi was a pacifist and he was from India and you're also from India..."

Good lord.
    Last edited by Perks; 11-14-2012 at 04:37 AM.

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    Perks, after hearing of all your troubles with this school....have you ever thought about home schooling? (and I hope the kid put her straight!)

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

I've only toyed with the thought. I've got no inclination, personally, to teach.

We do a lot of supplemental stuff, but maybe the education of how pathetic the world can be at times is valuable?

And the kid didn't say anything. He was too shocked at the whole thing. I'm sure he'll think up a hundred comebacks tonight.

Unreal.
    Last edited by Perks; 11-14-2012 at 04:06 AM.

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    Quote Originally Posted by Perks View Post
    maybe the education of how pathetic the world can be at times is valuable?
    Could be, could be (and I hear you - I don't have the patience to teach mine.) I suppose as long as you discuss these things wit her, she's learning what not to do, at least....

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

I'm going to go with that.

is watching you via her avatar jjdebenedictis's Avatar
    Oh, goodness. There are over a BILLION people in India--and she's surprised to discover there's a wee bit of diversity among them?

Not to mention the kid is being educated in another nation entirely and has potentially been influenced by that.
    Twitter: jjdebenedictis
    GoodReads: jj-debenedictis

ummmm...wow.

You know, I remember reading that book in grade 7 and discussing that exact question in class

"Assume Good Intentions" SuperModerator Williebee's Avatar
    Was she sure? I mean all those brown people look alike.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
    Kobo Kindle Nook iBook

Anthony Award Nominated Anthology!
    More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."

Seriously, does this school have any other requirements for it's teaching staff than the ability to count both of your brain cells?
    Destiny Deceived - Internet serial story. Written by one of the best writers I have ever been.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
    Douglas Adams

I can't tell, Jimmy. It's amazing how much has been really eyebrow-bending in this school. It's a safe place and, I have to say, well-organized, but sometimes just holy crap.

To further illustrate his answer the kid should have punched her in the face.
    Grill me a cheese.

I'm hoping she wasn't a Social Studies teacher.
    I do horrible things to punctuation.
    If I wanted a label I'd tattoo a barcode on my ass.
    You know it's all fun and games until one of those petal-winged harbingers of death sticks its proboscis in your eye and sucks your gray-matter out through your retina.

figuring it all out MaggieAmada's Avatar
    Wow. There is a pervasive culture in our schools that violence is never okay and we should all be pacifists. Furthermore, there is an assumption that all cultures are teaching the same (which they are not). I hope not all children buy into it and I'm glad yours didn't. The world is diverse and we need to prepare our children to live in it.
    Last edited by MaggieAmada; 11-16-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Kreon Prowl AW Moderator regdog's Avatar
    He doesn't think he's smarter than everyone else, he knows he's smarter than everyone else.
    Wow, just wow.
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

not napping... brainstorming! TudorRose's Avatar
    *wanders into thread eager to hear about this city full of airborne baby pachyderms. Is vaguely disappointed, but facepalms in sympathy with Perks anyway*