I was looking at the small selection of books at a grocery store the other day and really decided to step back and pay attention to the books they offered, what was on the covers, and who wrote the books. Now, this was just a Pay Less, and I usually look at these shelves when I'm grocery shopping and never find anything I like, but by taking it all in as a whole and really paying attention . . . yeah there was no apparent diversity at all.

I definitely live in my own little world a lot, and so does my wife. We moved this weekend and had no cable and she picked out the movies we watched. Besides kid DVDs we watched Made in America (not Maid with JLo but Made with Whoopi) and Beauty Shop. Normally I wouldn't pay attention to things like this but I guess the conversations here made me just keep an observing eye to my own life. The place we just moved into was cautioned to be in a "bad neighborhood" by some people . . . we ignored those people with alarm. I think being white means some things I will never experience, but having black and biracial family means I see more of other things than some, and being gay means I know what it is like to not be the perceived norm . . . and being another sexuality and another color, while both being things I don't think a person can help, at the same time I don't think you should say is the same experience or anything like that, either.

So I think opening my eyes as much as I can will not only make my worldview more appropriate, but could help my writing too. I like to write diversity without making the diversity itself an issue. (Well, in my latest book being gay is an issue, but color isn't.) I have read that many agents want diversity in books without necessarily having that be the plot, but I still want to be as educated as possible and write my stories without harming anyone.