Hollywood remake of Tomorrow People

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't know. I think it could not suck. I liked original Tomorrow People but even as a kid I thought the basic concept could have been done a lot better. On the other hand I pretend the 90s remake never happened.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. I think it could not suck. I liked original Tomorrow People but even as a kid I thought the basic concept could have been done a lot better. On the other hand I pretend the 90s remake never happened.

I kind of agree. I liked the show as a kid, but as an adult, I realized that it could have been a lot better. I wouldn't even want to watch it now.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I used to love the show as a kid (they showed it on Nickelodeon in the US back in the early 80s) but I think it's one of those things that was super cool when I was a kid because I didn't realize how "not actually great" it was. Nostalgia seems to sometimes make things cooler than they deserve. Except Danger Mouse. It's still cool. :D

However, I'm not too keen on Hollywood ruining yet another one of my treasures from childhood. It's bad enough that they destroyed The Karate Kid and Footloose. They don't need to crap on TTP, especially not on The CW, which has already rebooted and destroyed 90210, another iconic show from my childhood.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Why not? It's not like they'd be ruining anything. The original series was tosh, more-or-less.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
A lot of what we remembered as being great as kids was never that good to begin with. It hasn't really been "ruined."

True, but The Karate Kid and Footloose were both awesome and the remakes were crap in comparison.

The fact the it's being developed for The CW doesn't fill me with much hope that the reboot will be good. Only TV reboot of an old franchise that I can think of that was successful (and much better than the original) is Battlestar Galactica.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
True, but The Karate Kid and Footloose were both awesome and the remakes were crap in comparison.

The fact the it's being developed for The CW doesn't fill me with much hope that the reboot will be good. Only TV reboot of an old franchise that I can think of that was successful (and much better than the original) is Battlestar Galactica.

Ooh, that's a hopeful thought. The old Battlestar Galactica was pretty rubbishy. When one starts from something that bad the remake can be no worse and is likely to be somewhat better. The same holds for The Tomorrow People.

I wonder if the's going to be more rummaging through cheesy old cult TV. Electrawoman and Dynagirl, anybody?

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I watched a clip from The Tomorrow People on YouTube recently. It hasn't aged well. I loved it as a kid. I still want one of those jaunt belts!

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

I don't remember the Karate Kid, but when I watched Footloose years later, I was embarassed that I used to like it. I'm sure the remake is crap, but it's not as if Footloose was Casablanca, and remaking it would be blasphemy.

Something like The Tomorrow People could be interesting if it were remade because, even though it hadn't aged well, there was always something there that was interesting. It could be made into something cool.

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
I caught the pilot. Didn't much care for the original series, but after seeing commercials for the modernized version, I was intrigued enough to watch.

There was some annoying narration at the beginning that I'd hoped disappeared for good, but to my consternation it resurfaced at the end. Good FX throughout, but the story seems fairly rudimentary. Also, when viewers are expected to believe telepaths are unsure of someone else's motivations, it stretches believability a bit too far in my opinion. Not planning on tuning in next week.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know this was a remake. Never heard of it as a kid. When I watched the commercials for this show, all I could think of was Heroes.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I didn't know this was a remake. Never heard of it as a kid. When I watched the commercials for this show, all I could think of was Heroes.

This is not the first reference I've seen comparing it to Heroes. Since I have seen the original, I've seen some of Heroes, then saw this new reboot, I don't get the comparison at all. The two are nothing alike.

That said, I'm not sure what I think of the new series. Already I see the set up for a love triangle, which is not a trope I'm fond of. I'll give it a few more episodes before making a final determination.

Violeta

All I Ever Wanted Was The World
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't expect to like it, but I kind of did.

Agreeing with Steve's comment about the narration bits, though. Really unnecessary.

Anyway... I think they went a little too fast for a first episode. The protagonist took it all in pretty fast and easy. I don't know. They didn't waste any time in marking him as the chosen one. That many powers, that powerful... I don't know. Too fast for my tastes.

But I still liked it, though, so I guess I'll be watching a few more episodes to see where it goes.

Btw, the guy playing the bad guy is OMG everywhere! Am I the only one noticing him in every single tv show on Earth? He plays the bad, bad, bad, really bad guy in all of them. He gets killed. And then he moves on to another show in serious need of a very twisted villain. :foilhat:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I saw a show with almost none of the good bits of the original and yet another superbuff too old actor who finds he is the chosen one. The turned the weirdness of the tomorrow people (which are closer to the modern idea of indigo children) into Marvel light where everyone has basically the same powers for no obvious reason--but the chosen one has even more.

AskMalice

Registered
Reaction score
Why this nobody becomes the all powerful one in a matter of days is what is killing my enjoyment of the pilot.

The ending bit/twist, and the two main rebel characters are the bulk of what I enjoyed about it. Most of it felt cheesy and forced beforehand. Everyone having the same powers... except our hero... who is super powerful...

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
This is not the first reference I've seen comparing it to Heroes. Since I have seen the original, I've seen some of Heroes, then saw this new reboot, I don't get the comparison at all. The two are nothing alike.

That said, I'm not sure what I think of the new series. Already I see the set up for a love triangle, which is not a trope I'm fond of. I'll give it a few more episodes before making a final determination.

"In the vein of X-Men andHeroes, Tomorrow People is the story of several young people from around the world who represent the next stage in human evolution, possessing special powers, including the ability to teleport and communicate with each other telepathically. Together they work to defeat the forces of evil."

This is taken from the article linked in the first post. It's the people around the world realizing they have special powers thing that makes me think of Heroes. Other than that, I don't know anything about the show.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
"In the vein of X-Men andHeroes, Tomorrow People is the story of several young people from around the world who represent the next stage in human evolution, possessing special powers, including the ability to teleport and communicate with each other telepathically. Together they work to defeat the forces of evil."

Ah. Hm. I still say it's nothing like Heroes but it is closer to X-Men where it appears everyone has the same powers.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Wow. I remember watching the 90s version of this (I'm too young for the original). I wouldn't have thought it was a good enough idea to warrant a remake...