NASCAR. Just...why?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I don't get the appeal of golf, especially watching it on TV. Its like watching grass grow...
Agree. I enjoy playing golf, however.

As to Nascar, part of the real appeal is being there in person, imo. It's a very different experience from watching it on TV. And I think many fans who enjoy it on TV have been to races in person, so perceive things differently than the casual viewer.

Me, I'll watch a little Nascar from time to time. As is the case with an NBA game, though, I really only enjoy the last part of it. And a great finish in Nascar, while far from common, is riveting imo. There's an awful lot going on and there's a reason why the big names pull off the big wins, just as is the case in the NBA, Golf, or any other sport.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I think with most sports, you either get it or you don't. I'm not sure what it is, but there is something about any given sport that really appeals to certain people, while also repelling others. This is the case for racing, baseball (another one that some people absolutely love while others find boring as hell), football, golf, basketball, etc.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a die-hard NASCAR fan, although I have seen the races live twice. Watching NASCAR on television isn't that fun, unless there are quite a few wrecks. There is something about watching a bunch of cars smash into each other at 180+ mph that is addicting. It's even better when you don't feel guilty about the drivers involved, since most escape uninjured.

NASCAR fans are vastly different from those of any other sport. These are people who showcase their farmer tans, missing teeth, Rebel flags, and dress from head to foot in advertisements. Jeff Foxworthy would be impressed how "country" some of these fans are.

Watching the race in person is an adrenaline rush. Seeing a car crash in person is intense. Add in the good food and seemingly endless beer, and you have a great time.

That said, I haven't watched a NASCAR race in over a year. My husband does watch motocross religiously, which is dirt bike racing.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
NASCAR fans are vastly different from those of any other sport. These are people who showcase their farmer tans, missing teeth, Rebel flags, and dress from head to foot in advertisements. Jeff Foxworthy would be impressed how "country" some of these fans are.

Yeah, my dad has watched NASCAR all my life. He's not remotely like the people you've described.

A lot of NASCAR fans aren't, in fact, no matter how awesome and superior it might make some people feel to stereotype people who like cars as dumb racist hayseeds with poor hygiene.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, I just don't get why people like NASCAR. I've even grown up in and lived in the South my entire life, and I've never understood why NASCAR has any kind of appeal at all.

It's a bunch of country dudes who drive around a track. Other than the crashes (which are a bad form of entertainment considering that people can be seriously injured or die), I cannot wrap my brain around how it is in any way entertaining...or can even be called a "sport" without laughter ensuing.

And, how do you figure out who to like/support? Sports teams represent entire schools, cities, sometimes states. So, there's a local pride I can understand there. But, drivers represent Mello Yello, or Napa Auto Parts, or something else stupid and consumerist like that. Why do people have favorite drivers? Because they represent their values ("he's a good ol' Christian boy who don't take shit from nobody!"), or they're from the same town, or the guy is cute, or the person just likes spark plugs and caffeine?

I really don't get the entire thing. So...can anyone explain it to me?

Go get in a car. Drive teh car to some backcountry roads. Bury the speedometer and slide around a few hairpin turns. If this doesn't do it for you, you're lost. NASCAR started with running moonshine on these same roads.

I would say that ninety percent of fans I know are rednecks, but they're as smart and as educated as anyone. They just like fast cars and having fun. Many of them worked on muscle cars as teens, like driving fast, like a cold Bud, like the roar of the engines, and the smell of gasoline and hot rubber.

But NASCAR fans are no difefrent than people who watch any American sport, and they are not just people with farmer tans and missing teeth. That's idiocy, pure stereotyping by people who can't see what's in front of their faces.

We often support a driver raised in our area, or a driver that shows he has what it takes to be a winner. I love football, too, but I never believe for a second that the team represents me in any way. Driving bumper to bumper at 200 miles per hour takes reflexes and courage, and it darned sure is a sport, but only a turd goes to see the crashes. No real fan wants to see anyone injured, let alone killed.

Fast cars, particularly muscle cars, have been a way of life for decades. They're fun to build, fun to drive, and millions of men, and more than a few women, have been involved.

And, Michael, if there's power in knowledge, you're the weakest person on the planet.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Meowzbark, you must have missed the post I shared on the previous page of this thread. I've copied it below for your benefit. You can simply replace the other member's username for yours:

Michael, I think you've seriously misjudged your audience here. We value responses that are engaging, but please do not insult the fan base and/or athletes of any particular sport.

Keep that in mind should you decide to post in this room again.
Please note that I'm not keen on repeating myself, and I trust this will be the last time I have to do so in this discussion.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, Mr. Silverking, I wasn't listening. What did you just say?

Maryn, ducking

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
The thing is, I grew up in a bigtime gearhead family. My dad had a 67 Mustang fastback which he'd completely rebuilt for racing: racing cams, no exhaust, big fat slicks, the whole deal. It wasn't street-legal at ALL but every once in a while we'd take it out for a ride to test whatever new part he'd put into it or whatever. He spent almost every winter Saturday in the garage, and almost every Sunday we all ate popcorn (which my dad made on the stovetop) watching either football or NASCAR.

He used to run quartermiles in the Mustang every summer and had a room full of trophies. He had a bunch of friends there, and some who raced funny cars and drag racers, too. I spent half my childhood at the track or at auto swap meets. My Big Wheel was covered with Tarantula and Crane stickers.

I love cars (there's a reason why one of my characters drives a '69 Chevelle; I wanted to have an awesome car in the book, although my Ford-fan dad wasn't thrilled, lol, but he understands since until the early 90s that particular car with that particular engine was the fastest car ever to come off a production line). I like auto racing. The smell of a racetrack--although now you don't get the burning clutch smell so much--is really evocative for me. So it really annoys me to see that "Oh they're all dumb racist sheep with bad teeth" crap. You wouldn't see a thread started here devoted to making fun of tennis fans or people who watch chess matches, but for some reason it's cool to rip on people who like auto racing as if they're some inferior breed of human.

There was a story on Yahoo today about high school girls in CT who posed doing Nazi salutes because they hate their Jewish teammate. I bet they've never been to an auto race in their lives.

Last edited:

Ashwood

supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious
Registered
Reaction score
My dad loves NASCAR. Has favorite drivers, the whole works. Maybe it's a dad thing, and we aren't really supposed to understand it?