Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Urban Agriculture 2: This time, it's personal

Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C AW Moderator Zoombie's Avatar

Urban Agriculture 2: This time, it's personal

http://singularityhub.com/2012/11/05...vertical-farm/

And going from theoretical test to "actually working right now."

Singapore, a small country that imports most of its food, has now begun selling vegetables from its first vertical farm. And even while they’re more expensive the vegetables are already selling faster than they can be grown. If the farms prove sustainable – both technologically and economically – they could provide a much desired supplement to Singapore’s locally grown food and serve as a model for farming in other land-challenged areas.
    According to the article, it's not just land-efficient, it's also water and electrical efficient. I could see this being a great boon. Imagine, cities being self-sustaining rather than dependent on long distance shipping and transport.

Fingers crossed for this farm and the company making it.
    2068 Series: On Hiatus!
    Shard Series: On Hiatus

Untitled Furry Thing: 65k/XXXk

The Bracewell Parable: Done!

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!

Sockpuppet
    I can feel the overwhelming darkness and apocalyptic thoughts leaving. Please world, continue with the happy-making science.

...have you been talking to Plot Device again?

BUY MY BOOK HERE!

A floopy flolloper K.L. Bennett's Avatar
    Awesome!! I remember watching a show on Discovery or Science years ago about a company developing a prototype of one of these, maybe the same company, and I remember thinking we better get these going sooner rather than later.

There's been a ton of activity in urban agriculture lately. Given the hollowing out of the inner cities, there's already more than enough land available in a lot of places to avoid going vertical, and as other cities follow Detroit, there will be even more. For places like Singapore, though, this is a great, if relatively expensive, solution.
    I wrote a blog.
    Between a good and a bad economist this constitutes the whole difference - the one takes account of the visible effect;
    the other takes account both of the effects which are seen, and also of those which it is necessary to foresee. ~Frederic Bastiat
    Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
    The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
    The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
    If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
    ~ Medievalist

I hope this works out for Singapore because, if it does, it could get the momentum going for similiar farms elsewhere. And if it catches on, there's a good chance that the prices to both sell and create these farms may drop.

But yeah, there's a greater interest in Urban Agriculture lately, which thrills me. I have my own little garden this year (and hopefully next year) and I support my local farmers by going to my local farmer's market every year when it's open.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Urban ag is great for countries with no land for farming to improve sustainability and security.

However for places like the US it would be very wastefully of resources that are not sustainable such as electricity from coal burning plants.

Well, according to the article, it didn't actually take that much electricity. Plus, how much energy is saved by growing locally?

BUY MY BOOK HERE!

It takes a lot of electricity to move it to cold climates (heating) and scaling upwards (lighting).

The unit shown is a nice one. But would be hobby scale here and the price differential would be bigger because veges in the US are a lot cheaper.

It is a niche principle for some niche growing, but not easily translated and scaled to the US. Where we have land and cheap labor.

I would also put a word in for being in touch with the actual soil on the actual land and conserving farming as a land-based activity. I think the first priority should be getting back to that--not proceeding even more with intensive systems.

Makes sense! Still, it's a good thing for places like Japan.

BUY MY BOOK HERE!

It is a good for any area to be self-sufficient. And for more people to see and be involved in making food.

Everything in balance IMHO.

I remember seeing the conceptual drawings for this some years ago. It's neat to see it in practice and working. Self sufficiency is important for everyone everywhere. This is a good step for densly populated areas who don't have the space necessary for normal farming.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    Albert Einstein

I helped write this!!!!http://www.ibnbattuta.tv/