• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ravenswood Publishing / GMTA Publishing Group

GMTAPublishing

Registered
Reaction score
Setting the Record Straight

Hello,

My name is Kitty Bullard, I am the owner of GMTA/Ravenswood and I'm posting here to set the record straight. I appreciate your feedback and your feelings about my company but I feel that I need to let you all know why I do not have staffed editors and allow the authors to choose their own editor. I am a single mother of a 13 year old daughter. I have worked hard to go back to school and obtain a degree that would allow me to work at home so that my child could attend school at home due to disabilities and the fact that she was being bullied.

This company is not only putting food on our table, it is also a means of doing something I enjoy and helping authors get their names out there. I work alone, I am not a millionaire, I do not have funding capital to pay for everything that publishing entails. I'm an honest person, that works anywhere from 24 to 72 hours in a given stretch. I do all the formatting, cover art, and internet promotions for my authors, of which I currently have close to 90.

Your put-downs and constant haranguing does not help, in fact, it hurts. Instead of coming to me and asking for the facts, you seem to enjoy making up your own conclusions about what I do, who I am and how I do it. I take on authors that I believe in, not every submission that comes to my inbox is accepted. I have turned away more than I've accepted in fact. These authors, whose stories you have quoted passages from in your thread... do you ever think about their feelings? Do you ever think about the fact that their out there trying just as hard as you are to make it in an industry that doesn't seem to want them?

I had just watched this thread for a while and thought about saying nothing, just going about my business and leaving well enough alone. But I'm tired... I'm tired and sick to death of people trying to bring others down for their own amusement. It's sad... I urge you to start thinking before you post, go to people and ask before you assume and find out the truth for yourself.

By the way, we do not charge any fees for publishing. I make only what I get from royalties and when you consider that all books don't sell that well and how saturated the market is with independent author's writings... then perhaps you can come to terms and understand that we all have to make a living and this is how I make mine.

Sincerely,
Kitty Bullard

GMTAPublishing

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Eva, I appreciate your honesty and I am glad to have you as a new author with us. :)

evahart

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Kitty! I'm sorry you had to come here to defend yourself like this, I should have expanded on my post above but I didn't want to tread on your privacy. I can personally see, since signing with you, that you work your fingers to the bone to help new authors. Us newbies do struggle in finding publishers to even pick up our manuscripts, let alone read or accept them. So I'd like to thank you for giving me your time, and attention. It is one step on that huge ladder, and its a daunting step. It's great to have the help :)

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's always possible the author is completely happy with that book. Different writers have different goals, and maybe that author is simply happy to have something "out there." Many of us wouldn't be happy with that level of production--we want our books edited & polished to near-perfection (ok, we want them to be perfect :D), to give them the best chance to sell and give the most enjoyment to our readers. But there are writers who don't have that outlook. Their goals are more personal.
I should clarify that, if some authors will be content with this level of production, readers rarely are. So, if one's goals include selling to large numbers of readers (and, as noted, not all authors have that goal), then one needs to submit to publishers that produce books with high production and editing levels. The level of editing and production quoted here is well below that required to attract readers and buyers.

Some authors will still be happy. Their book is Published. The writers who'd like to make money from their writing probably won't be.

On a side note, and as a completely practical matter: a one-person business, whether it be a plumber or a publisher, is very vulnerable to any sort of personal, medical, or family emergency affecting their ability to work. If the plumber can't work, one simply finds another plumber. If the publisher can't work, the author is stuck unless the author's rights have been returned. There are very sad threads here on small publishers that experienced emergencies or life problems that led them to go out of business, often with no fanfare, often leaving the authors' rights in limbo. YMMV, but from what I've seen, the one-person work-at-home business model isn't ideal for publishing other than self-publishing.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I should clarify that, if some authors will be content with this level of production, readers rarely are.

These readers, for example, who left the following Amazon reviews of GMTA books:

The story was kind of interesting, but there were too many editing mistakes.
It was really hard to follow in spots, with words missing, wrong words used, etc.
I just think that having someone edit and proofread it first would have made it so much better.
It also was aimed at a younger reader than I was expecting...
So, cute book for a younger teen, but please, get a proofreader!!

The story line was really good, but there were a lot of grammar mistakes and misspelled words.

Very good story although sometimes hard to follow. Due typographical and or grammatical errors.

I'm sorry, but any company that releases unedited or poorly edited books can expect criticism.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Kitty, I appreciate your honesty and open engagement. I wish other new publishers would do this more often. AW can seem a scary, infuriating place for a small business to engage, until one steps back and looks at the reasons *why* AW forums have covered so many publishing disasters over the years.

Publishing is not really a learn-as-you-go business. You either start off with enough capital to give yourself a couple of years, or you run on the shoestring. Usually both. But you must start off with strong editing, proofreading, marketing, etc. The ramping-up time should be minimal.

Those Amazon reviews that other posters keep quoting? Those aren't arbitrary or vindictive, from what I can see. I skimmed three sample texts of your books, and found similar errors. Granted, I did it in three minutes, just now, and I'm unlikely to spend more time on it. You have quality issues compared to the bigger, more established publishers in your genres, and you really shouldn't.

DreamWeaver points out that a one-person operation is extremely vulnerable. That's not an insult to you or a put-down of your dreams: it's just truth. You are now responsible not only for your own work, but for the hard work of every author who signs with you. I admire your tenacity - that's not a responsibility I'd ever want.

I know that a lot of authors are just happy to 'be published'. Some of us want the most effective, stable publishing experience possible. Out of a few hundred romance publishers I found two years ago, I approached only seven when I queried my debut novel. I accepted the best offer only after getting an agent to help me work out contract negotiations. I have a fantasy novel going out on sub next week - and I'm starting with the strongest of the Big Five imprints, with the option to self-publish if none of those pan out.

Small presses are caught in the middle of the battle between the Big Five and informed self-publishers. I love small presses. I've worked with several of them, and know lots of publisher/editors at others. I'm not going to pick any one of them until they show me they can be trusted with my work. That means brilliant editing, packaging, and marketing *at least as good* as a Big Five imprint.

I wish you the very best future, and hope that your publishing company flourishes.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Echoing what others have said, Kitty, I'm sorry for your personal trials, but ultimately what you're offering is a business service, and the effectiveness of that service is what's being criticized here - not you as a person.

I have to ask: when you see the criticisms of your books - when reviewer after reviewer points out how badly they need proofing and editing - do you ever ask yourself "How can I do better? How can I improve my product and my company's reputation, and maybe grow my business as a result?"

evahart

Registered
Reaction score
I do not think it is fair that only the bad parts of reviews are listed here. Any book, even by the most prolific of authors with the best publishing houses, has bad reviews too. Look at Christine Feehan's new book, Dark Blood, for example. I recently read it and the editing was awful! There were swathes of speech out of speech marks, and the plot repeated itself over and over until it became frustrating. A good editor would have picked up on this.

I've looked at a few of GMTA's books, most have mixed reviews, some are really excellent and most have quite a few reviews under their belt. Doesn't this suggest a reader following? I can post some of the good reviews if required.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
evahart, anyone can get good reviews on Amazon. All it takes is family and friends who are willing to provide them for you (and sometimes, fellow authors from your publishing house who've been urged by the company to post a favorable review).

However, reviews that consistently point up errors in a book - be they grammar, punctuation, spelling or formatting errors - those are serious. Then it's not a matter of a reviewer disliking the author's style or story; it's about a publisher not having the money, the means, the experience or the pride to make certain their product is the absolute best it can be.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there are different publishers for different authors. If all you want is to call yourself a published author; if you don't care if your book sells to anyone but family and friends; if you're willing to accept that your book may be published riddled with errors, and if you're willing to pay for your own editing AND give up 60% of your sales to the publisher who puts out that half-assed product, then GMTA is probably going to work just fine for you.

Last edited:

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
In this era of publishing, the primary--arguably, the only--reason to go to a publisher is because they provide something for the book and the author that the author can't or won't do themselves.

Which is great! Which applies to pretty much all publishers, from behemoths in New York to one-person kitchen-table operations!

The question that has to be asked, every time--and there is no malice in asking--is "What does this particular publisher do for me and my book that I can't/won't do myself?"

For a big mondo house, it may be advance money, cover artists on standby, deep, thorough editing, massive marketing, and a nationwide or worldwide distribution. That's what you get with a big house. (Whatever the quality of those books that get bad reviews, like Feehan's, that book still got most of the things on that list, though maybe it could have used a better editor. Or possibly the editor was trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, we don't know. Still, money, marketing, distribution.)

With a small house, you may not get a big advance, but you may get a thorough editing and a decent cover and small-press level distribution. Or you may get ebook only distribution, but still hopefully the other things.

Now, the question to ask, with absolutely no malice intended here, is--what are you getting with GMTA?

Size isn't a death knell here. There are very small operations that put out a great product--I've worked with a few--and everybody goes away happy. So run down the list--what do you get that you couldn't do yourself?

Marketing? Good cover art? Distribution? Thorough editing?

It is looking like editing is a sticking point. Cover art--okay, you pay for it and it's free stock photos.

Both of those are things you can hire yourself, but I understand not wanting to be bothered, and GMTA brokering those services may well be worth it to you in terms of convenience. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Look at GMTA's releases, and if you are comfortable with the quality, then all is right with the world.

Next, what are they doing for distribution and marketing? (actual question, I don't know, and thus won't assume they did anything as egregious as trotting out the "all authors have to market their own stuff these days" canard.) Is their marketing more than you could do yourself? Is their distribution better than you could do on your own, or pay someone else to do for you?

Those are not meant to be sniping or accusatory questions--I'd ask them of ANY publisher (and have more than a few times, with my own books!) if it feels like a grilling, it is at least an equal opportunity one.

There may be awesome reasons to go with GMTA, we just need a better sense of what they are.

Last edited:

Reece Bridger

Collector of Shiny Things. Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reecebridger.com
Good evening, everyone.

I really wasn't going to jump in here, but since it looks like GMTA has to stand up and defend themselves from people who've ranted about us anonymously on a forum since 2012 (almost two years and you're still shooting Kitty down? Really?) then I thought I'd come and offer my two cents. Or pence, rather. Culture gap.

I'm a signed author with GMTA and have been since September, and I've made more sales with them than I ever did by myself over the course of almost one and a half years. I had my cover art done independently by a guy I knew before I signed with GMTA and I like his style, but if I didn't have him then I'd be fine with what GMTA would make for me. (Just gonna go giddy for a second here, the guy also made an EPIC book trailer, eeeee~!) I had to have my book re-edited before Kitty would publish it and I don't regret it at all. And even though GMTA doesn't offer any specific editing services anymore, there are editors recommended to us that are both professional and co-operative. My new editor, Lisanne Cooper, is phenomenal at her work and I wouldn't have anyone else edit my books right now with how much improvement's been made to my second book. In fact, quite a few of the books we've published have excellent grammar and spelling, but people on this forum seem to be focussing solely on the ones that back up their argument, which seems to be one in every seven or eight. You want to play that game? Okay, I'll bite.

You want to look at books we've done that have sold well and have good grammar and spelling? Take a look at Dimidium Angelus' by Dennis Parker. It may not have the most reviews, but it was in the Top 3 on fantasy on Amazon for a few days not too long ago. Not satisfied yet? 'Fireflies', P.S. Bartlett, won the Readers' Favorites silver book award 2014 just a month or so ago and it's very well written and laid out. Again, not the most reviews on Amazon, (just 50+, giving her a total of 5 stars on her book,) but also quite a few ratings on Goodreads and B&N, averaging between 4 and 5 stars each. Funny thing, both of those websites seem pretty excluded in this thread. Maybe that's because Amazon is more mainstream, but if you want to construct an argument at least go for more than one source. And if not both of them, at least check Goodreads, which is a site primarily dedicated to amassing reviews on books. And I know that he isn't with GMTA anymore (let's not go into that) but Brian D Anderson's critically acclaimed 'Godling Chronicles' series was originally made famous by GMTA. He wouldn't be where he is now without the hard work and dedication that Kitty puts into every book she accepts. And frankly, I've seen the numbers of submissions she gets. She accepts probably... around one in a hundred? Two hundred? Maybe more, maybe less. But of course, some people would rather pick at a few bad reviews. Guess what: reviews are opinions. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And when you use other people's opinions to back up your own opinion and present it as a fact, that just makes you seem petty. Even more petty than shooting down a professional who only wants to do her job and help people for the better part of two years. Want more names of pretty successful authors Kitty's represented? Carrie F Shepherd, 'The Scribing of Ishitar'; Forbes West, 'Nighthawks at the Mission'. And, of course, GMTA also published a number of books written by Keith Rommel, like 'Hunter No More' and 'You Killed My Brother'. That's the same Keith Rommel whose book with Sunbury Press, 'The Cursed Man', is a nominee for the BTS Red Carpet Award for mystery/suspense this year. And it's also being made into a major motion picture in California. Just sayin'.

But of course, that doesn't address the recurring matter of occasionally improvable grammar and editing in a few of our books. Of course, if that is a resounding issue, then by all means it should be addressed and handled properly. Because, I mean, it's not like any famous authors run by huge traditional publishing houses have ever published books that haven't been perfectly edited. Except Darren Shan. And Derek Landy. And Darren Shan. And Christine Feehan. And Darren Shan. And Rick Riordan. And Darren Shan. And Lemony Snicket. And Darren Shan. Okay, so there's a fair few. My mistake. ...Also Anthony Horowitz, Obert Skye, Stephen King and, once again, Darren Shan. Seriously, with that guy it's like a book-by-book Easter egg hunt to find the mistakes. (Love you, Mr Shan!) And if we're going to go into the whole good-books, bad-books argument, 'Fifty Shades' got published by Random House. 'Fifty Shades'. That speaks for itself.

Now let's take a look at the matter of royalties, because if you're not a writer who just wants to be published, then you're one who wants to make money, apparently. Because having a passion for writing and entertaining and educating people took a leap out a thirtieth-storey window around the 1800's, right? Anyway, GMTA takes 60% of the royalties, whereas self-publishing takes about 90%, after taking away the cost of printing, the deductions from Amazon and your POD service, the pre-publication fees on the ISBNs, the cover art, and the annual holding fee if you're using LSI or some other POD company. And that's not even considering the extra fees if you want to make an edit to your book on LSI or actually market yourself with deals by marketing groups or order a box or two from your POD to have your own event copies or just a few to give to your friends. So if you take away all those deductibles (just those last ones, not the first set,) if you're in the same boat as most other self-published authors in terms of sales, that leaves you with around... 70-60%. That's marginally better than the 40% we get, but 40% of 100 books sold is still better than 60% of 10. I'm just rounding down numbers there for the sake of the analogy, of course. 'But there's those self-published authors who have a lot of sales,' you say? Amazon Prime free days and countdown deals, folks, which only takes away from your eventual royalties because no one can resist free stuff; there's also the perk of non-commitment with buying a free book rather than one that costs money, so if it's shit, then nothing's wasted. Either the free day deals or 'spending money to make money' with huge advertising deals costing over $100 or so. So would you rather just jump in with all that by yourself and keep a bigger percentage, or would you rather take what you can get from someone who knows what they're doing and has done it for several years? Kitty has connections with advertising agencies and media figures across the world within six degrees. In fact, when you reach a certain sales threshold, 10% of your royalties go towards mass marketing campaigns through those connections. And that's not taken out of YOUR share; it's taken out of HERS. Wow, that's pretty money-grubbing, isn't it?

But let's compare that to a big publisher like Orion or Penguin. They would take about 70-80% of your royalties right off the bat, and you wouldn't see a cent of your royalties until you paid off the few thousand or so they gave you at the very beginning so they could buy the publishing rights. And then there's the fact that NO MASSIVE PUBLISHING HOUSE WORTH THE SPIT IN THEIR HUNGRY GOBS would accept a manuscript from an author who wasn't represented by a literary agent. Literary agents also need to get paid. They'd take a cut of your royalties, too. So instead of 40%, you're left with 10%, 15% maximum.

Let's go back to editing just for a second here. You go to a big traditional publishing house, and they're bound to have 'suggestions' for you. Like 'let's make this happen instead', or 'ooh, kill this guy off and make the reader squirm'. When you sign with one of them, the story isn't yours anymore. You're not writing to write anymore. You're writing to get it accepted by your own publisher, who doesn't want to put out your story; they want to put out a story that people will buy. Kitty doesn't do that. Creative control rests in the hands of the authors. Would you tick that box on a publishing contract? Or would you rather have Penguin's editorial team dipping their big chef's spoon into your gumbo and bastardising your story? Kitty and Lisanne (and other editors we're connected with) often do make suggestions, but there's no pressure. Their rule is that editing isn't done until YOU'RE satisfied. That sounds like a pretty friendly approach, doesn't it?

I'd like you to think about that for a second, and I'll answer the question that comes up a lot here: what does Kitty do? Well, first of all, as opposed to a cold, all-business big publishing house, Kitty is... well... Kitty. One woman with a heart of gold who'd lay down her life for her family and her authors, and openly encourages communication between us. She even built an entire set of email lists and discussion forums and Facebook groups for us all to get acquainted and cross-promote, because the publisher doesn't do everything. She's more than just your publisher; she's your friend, and she gives you face time, a voice and a choice in what happens to your paperback babies. She's open to discussion and treats you with respect, gratitude and love. She doesn't just sign you into a deal; she signs you into her family. You wouldn't find that sort of connection with the head honcho at Orion. As for what Kitty does, aside from all the accounts, the formatting, the marketing and the publicity, is work her fingers to the bone trying to get our books sold so we all make enough to do what we love: write. She connects you with other people and opens doors for you to do your own branding and make a name for yourself, as well as spreading that name and your works across the internet on websites I'd never even heard of, as well as setting up blog tours and promo events and getting more and more useful connections to help us be heard about every day. You may not see our titles on the shelves in Barnes and Noble all the time, and you probably won't find us in a Waterstones or a WHSmiths, but that's because we're not a huge publishing house (yet). We're just a family of openly-communicative, hard-working writers who love what we do and who we do it with. And Kitty isn't a money-grubbing woman in a snazzy suit sat in a swivel chair in a huge office on the top floor of a skyscraper in the Big Apple. She's a perfectly real, down-to-Earth, hardworking woman sat at her desk practically 72 hours a day, probably in a t-shirt and yoga pants, surrounded by a veritable zoo of pets and a beautiful, outstandingly brilliant daughter that she would die for, and potentially the biggest family on Earth. She's a human being.

So there's the facts, and our side of the story. I wouldn't normally write something like this, but like I said, Kitty is a part of my family. You don't talk trash about someone's family. Kitty is a great publisher and I've never seen a reason other than the highly exaggerated problems you keep bringing up over and over on this forum, most of which don't mean anything two years later. If the choice was working with Kitty, or working for the suits at Penguin, or going at it alone again, I know who I'd pick and I'd pick her a thousand times over.

And if you think that this post is long and rambling and a post for TL;DR, chew on this: my side of the argument took me an hour. Yours has taken you two years.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But let's compare that to a big publisher like Orion or Penguin. They would take about 70-80% of your royalties right off the bat, and you wouldn't see a cent of your royalties until you paid off the few thousand or so they gave you at the very beginning so they could buy the publishing rights. And then there's the fact that NO MASSIVE PUBLISHING HOUSE WORTH THE SPIT IN THEIR HUNGRY GOBS would accept a manuscript from an author who wasn't represented by a literary agent.
Erp?
Publishers don't take royalties. They pay royalties. I think maybe you aren't wholly familiar with standard industry terms. And I think maybe you aren't wholly familiar with how publishers work.

Personally, I think that Tor is a great publisher, and worth a lot more than the spit in anyone's gob. They accept manuscripts from unagented authors. And they're pretty damned massive, at least in the F/SF genre.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kitty is... well... Kitty. One woman with a heart of gold who'd lay down her life for her family and her authors, and openly encourages communication between us. She even built an entire set of email lists and discussion forums and Facebook groups for us all to get acquainted and cross-promote, because the publisher doesn't do everything. She's more than just your publisher; she's your friend, and she gives you face time, a voice and a choice in what happens to your paperback babies. She's open to discussion and treats you with respect, gratitude and love. She doesn't just sign you into a deal; she signs you into her family. You wouldn't find that sort of connection with the head honcho at Orion.

Kitty sounds like a lovely, lovely person. I'd probably adore having lunch with her.

But a lovely person I'd adore having lunch with is not necessarily the type of person I'd want to go into business with. And that's what the author-publisher relationship is: a business partnership. I sure as heck wouldn't want my publisher to be a family member. I don't want my publisher to think they have any personal claims on me, and I don't want to have to treat my publisher as anything but a business colleague. Publishing contracts are, by their nature, adversarial; I'll happily negotiate a business contract, but it'd be uncomfortable as hell negotiating a contract with a family member or friend.

No one is questioning whether Kitty is a good person. We're discussing whether her business is suitably set up to provide an author with what an author needs. That's what every thread here is about.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I've never found "those dastardly big publishing houses pay you money up front, the bastards" to be a particularly persuasive argument against them.

Also quite a few of the larger houses will take unagented submissions.

Reece Bridger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reecebridger.com
Erp?
Publishers don't take royalties. They pay royalties. I think maybe you aren't wholly familiar with standard industry terms. And I think maybe you aren't wholly familiar with how publishers work.

Personally, I think that Tor is a great publisher, and worth a lot more than the spit in anyone's gob. They accept manuscripts from unagented authors. And they're pretty damned massive, at least in the F/SF genre.

I'm very familiar with industry terms and how publishers work. It's just gone 1am here and I haven't had enough caffeine to keep the engines going =u=;; But thanks for pointing that out. They pay royalties but they take a portion of the net income. I run the accounts for my own production studio and I get how the money works. The publishing industry has evolved a lot over the past few centuries, especially with the digital shift that allows many more indie and small-press publishers to try their hand. That's essentially what you do when you self-publish: you are your own publisher.

I did consider mentioning Tor, because their standards are that open and they're an awesome group. Personally I don't consider them to be in the same vein as some other publishing houses because of their open submission policies. I didn't submit my manuscript to them, for my own reasons, but I did actively choose to leave them out of my analysis.

Reece Bridger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reecebridger.com
Kitty sounds like a lovely, lovely person. I'd probably adore having lunch with her.

But a lovely person I'd adore having lunch with is not necessarily the type of person I'd want to go into business with. And that's what the author-publisher relationship is: a business partnership. I sure as heck wouldn't want my publisher to be a family member. I don't want my publisher to think they have any personal claims on me, and I don't want to have to treat my publisher as anything but a business colleague. Publishing contracts are, by their nature, adversarial; I'll happily negotiate a business contract, but it'd be uncomfortable as hell negotiating a contract with a family member or friend.

No one is questioning whether Kitty is a good person. We're discussing whether her business is suitably set up to provide an author with what an author needs. That's what every thread here is about.

Well that's your take on it and I respect that. Personally I wouldn't want to place my hard work in the hands of anyone I considered trustworthy. I've seen a lot of creative individuals in this industry, and other industries like music and art, who've been taken for a ride like that. Edit: And the contracts are by their nature adversarial, yes; all legal documents are. They're supposed to be, otherwise the foundation of the legal system would be undermined. This is just my opinion, but I'd rather have a friend be on the other end of that contract who I can trust with what I've poured my heart and soul into rather than someone who just sees me as a means to an end. I'd love to know who publishes your work and compare that aspect, though :)

You can take it from me: Kitty is suitably set up, and then some. To the onlookers it looks like a lot of people on this thread have just been taking shots at a friend of mine behind her back.

Last edited:

Reece Bridger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reecebridger.com
I've never found "those dastardly big publishing houses pay you money up front, the bastards" to be a particularly persuasive argument against them.

Also quite a few of the larger houses will take unagented submissions.

Yeah, but if you don't make up that advance, then they won't keep you on the listings. You still get the money but at the same time it turns you into nothing but an investment, and if that investment doesn't pay back, pbbbt, you're gone.

So far I've only ever heard of Tor doing that except for special occasions, but I think you've zeroed in on one particular point there. The point is that when push comes to shove, everyone will want a piece of what your book makes, whether an agent is involved or not. Either way, a small-press house would probably take less of the net income than a larger house. That being said, I did say in my argument that some of lots is better than all of nothing, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Last edited:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Yeah, but if you don't make up that advance, then they won't keep you on the listings. You still get the money but at the same time it turns you into nothing but an investment, and if that investment doesn't pay back, pbbbt, you're gone.

And why shouldn't they view me as an investment? A publisher that doesn't keep its eye on making a profit off its investments (authors) won't stay in business.

It cuts both ways, too: if a publisher can't earn its percentage off my book sales by doing things better than I can do myself, they're gone from my list.

Last edited:

Reece Bridger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reecebridger.com
And why shouldn't they view me as an investment? A publisher that doesn't keep its eye on making a profit off its investments (authors) won't stay in business.

Well said. Of course it's expected that they'll see you as an investment no matter who you sign with, if you sign with anyone at all. The difference is 'nothing but' an investment. That wouldn't sit well with me.

Reece Bridger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reecebridger.com
It cuts both ways, too: if a publisher can't earn its percentage off my book sales by doing things better than I can do myself, they're gone from my list.

Well, that may be true of some publishers, but you can take it from me that that's not how things are with GMTA. I couldn't do half the stuff that Kitty does, and she has many more contacts, connections and relationships with useful people than I ever had before. It's not like she just posts the link on Facebook over and over again and uses hashtags like #buymybook xD

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
This is just my opinion, but I'd rather have a friend be on the other end of that contract who I can trust with what I've poured my heart and soul into rather than someone who just sees me as a means to an end.

And I prefer to keep business and friendship separate because if the business tanks, it can tank the friendship too. Friends and/or family don't always make the best business partners, and if things turn sour, the repercussions are much uglier than in a pure business relationship.

Last edited:

Reece Bridger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reecebridger.com
And I prefer to keep business and friendship separate because if the business tanks, it can tank the friendship too. Friends and/or family don't always make the best business partners, and if things turn sour, the repercussions are much uglier than a pure business relationship.

And if that's what you prefer, then I can't say anything against that or hold it against you. I prefer to have my business contacts be closer to me than just across the desk.

Last edited:

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
One of the many explanations of how royalties do (and don't!) work that several industry professions have given here should be stickied -- so those of us without direct knowledge or authority can point to it when these "and if you don't earn out..." claims and such come up.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
After you mentioned coffee, Reece, I nipped into town to stock up!

Not earning out an advance doesn't necessarily mean the publisher has made a loss on the book.

So far I've only ever heard of Tor doing that except for special occasions, but I think you've zeroed in on one particular point there. The point is that when push comes to shove, everyone will want a piece of what your book makes, whether an agent is involved or not. Either way, a small-press house would probably take less of the net income than a larger house. That being said, I did say in my argument that some of lots is better than all of nothing, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Some of the big houses have open submission days as a way of corralling the slush. Penguin Australia has the Monthly Catch, for example. Whereas that's only open to Australian authors, there are others that accept submissions from overseas authors. But I can't remember which ones they are. Time to make that coffee.

I take your point about swings and roundabouts, but -- for me -- having cash upfront is important. It's an indication that the publisher is taking the work seriously enough to want to make a profit out of it. Also...yanno...it's money.

ETA: This is a derail from the thread. Sorry!

Last edited:

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Reece, I gather from your posts that you're very happy with GMTA. Can you clarify what kind of specific marketing and distribution they offer?

It's all very well and good to be family, but that doesn't put bread on the table or books on the shelf. So whet is GMTA offering specifically?