GMTA stands for Great Minds Think Aloud.
Shouldn't the publisher be paying for the ISBN?GMTA is a small publisher publishing through Amazon, Createspace and Barnes & Noble.
Benefits for publishing with GMTA are free internet promotion, free day promotion through use of the Kindle Direct Select plan, giveaways, blog tours and various internet social marketing techniques. GMTA has worked hard for authors over the past year and a half helping them get more notice on the web and so far we have had overwhelming success. By offering publishing and publishing services we intend to become more a part of that success...
Our editors work directly with our authors and cover artists to provide the best service possible...The only fees GMTA charges authors is $35.00 for the publication of print copies, this fee goes toward paying for the ISBN and Expanded Distribution of the published work.
GMTA accepts virtually every genre known to humankind ("We are looking for fiction and works") but draws the line at
I'm flummoxed by the inclusion of 'prose' in this list. I'm also flummoxed by what GMTA does or does not provide in the way of editing. According to the submissions guide:...poetry, prose, or short stories, erotica, manuscripts written with a lot of derogatory words used in such a manner as to be overly offensive. Romance is acceptable as long as it is tasteful and written in such a fashion.
Yet this is almost immediately followed by:We will only accept manuscripts via email, manuscripts must already be formatted correctly for publication. Though we offer free editing it would be best if the manuscript has been edited ahead of time because we are short-staffed, this may change in the future.
GMTA offers a raft of publishing services:Since we ask that you do the editing and formatting ahead of time Great Minds Publishing will only take 60% of the sales of the authors work...We do offer editing services through GMTA but for an additional charge.
Do I smell a conflict of interest here, particularly with regard to editing services? There are four packages priced from $25-$150, but what the customer gets is just copy-editing:Great Minds Think Aloud has now extended their services to advertising for publishing companies, author websites, and other literary communities, manuscript editing, author promotions, blog tour scheduling and organization, book cover creation, and book trailers.
The 'author' here is presumably a customer paying for GMTA's publishing services, not someone who intends to actually publish with the company. But what are we to make of this:These prices do not include deep editing or line editing, any editing done on an intensive or extensive scale will cost more and the price is decided between the editor and author and still payable through GMTA Publishing Services.So the GMTA author who opts to be edited can expect to pay up to $400 and buy his or her own ISBN? Lovely.
GMTA's PROCESS FOR EDITING:(1) <1st Proofread> The manuscript will go through an initial round of proofreading. Proofreaders are volunteers and not paid, they are only looking over the manuscript for the most minor mistakes such as spelling and punctuation.
(2) <1st Round Editing> The manuscript will be sent to an editor for the first round of edits. The editors are paid in full upon receipt of manuscript for both rounds of edits, price not to exceed $400.00.
(3) <1st Round Author Changes> The manuscript will be sent to the author for any changes to be accepted or rejected.
(4) <2nd Round Editing> The manuscript will be sent back to the editor for the final round of editing.
(5) <2nd Round Author Changes> The manuscript will be sent back to the author for the final changes to be accepted or rejected.
(6) <Beta Reading> The manuscript will be sent to a Beta Reader, again these are volunteers only allowed to check the flow of the story, and give feedback on how they think it will be received by the intended audience.
(7) <2nd Proofread> The manuscript is sent to a volunteer proofreader for the final look through to be sure all mistakes are fixed and the book is ready for publication.
(8) <Sent To Publisher> The manuscript will then be sent to the publisher for full formatting, for both paperback and e-book editions.
Also...'Beta reader'? GMTA is dealing with publishable work, not fanfic.
Another service provided by GMTA is cover design, or more precisely pre-made covers:
The covers on offer are the standard '14-year-old-with-Photoshop' affairs, although if your novel is about a pensive young lady holding a violin in front of a lake I suppose C-113 might be right up your alley!All Pre-made covers are made using free stock images. These covers can be modified to include the Title and Author's Name. Prices for these covers range from $50.00 to $75.00.