Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

 

 

 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56

Thread: The U.S. will become the world's biggest oil producer before 2020 and energy independent by 2030

  1. #1
    not to be taken seriously LAgrunion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    998

    The U.S. will become the world's biggest oil producer before 2020 and energy independent by 2030

    I was surprised to read this on money.cnn.com.

    LONDON (CNNMoney) -- The United States will overtake Saudi Arabia to become the world's biggest oil producer before 2020, and will be energy independent 10 years later, according to a new forecast by the International Energy Agency.

    The recent resurgence in oil and gas production, and efforts to make the transport sector more efficient, are radically reshaping the nation's energy market, reported Paris-based IEA in its World Energy Outlook.

    North America would become a net exporter of oil around 2030, the global organization said Monday.

    "The United States, which currently imports around 20% of its total energy needs, becomes all but self sufficient in net terms -- a dramatic reversal of the trend seen in most other energy importing countries," the IEA stated.

    The U.S. is experiencing an oil boom, in large part thanks to high world prices and new technologies, including hydraulic fracking, that have made the extraction of oil and gas from shale rock commercially viable.

    From 2008 to 2011, U.S. crude oil production jumped 14%, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Natural gas production is up by about 10% over the same period.
    [bolding added]

    Curious to see how this will affect American foreign policy in the Middle East, especially re hotspots like Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Israel.

    *logs in to his etrade account, sells Facebook, and buys a few shares in energy infrastructure companies.*

  2. #2
    It's a matter of what is.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    1,771
    We (the US) is already an exporter of gasoline. Oil, like gasoline will go to the highest bidder around the world, regardless where it originates from.

    So really, this don't help the consumer at all. Oil companies are very happy though.
    Our Flag needs washed

  3. #3
    Delerium ex Ennui Xelebes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    12,643
    At a time of peace, this matters little. At a time of war, this matters a lot.

    Anywhich way, hearing from geologists who work in the oil energy have grave doubts about this coming to fruition.

  4. #4
    you didn't come and help me kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    where the Lilin are
    Posts
    33,444
    If we're dependent on a non-renewable resource, we're not energy independent.

    We need to diversify.
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

  5. #5
    Red fish, blue fish... J.S.F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Osaka
    Posts
    5,399
    Diversification is fine if it pays off in the long run. Personally, I like the idea of using nature to help us out i.e. solar and wind power but right now all the natural resources combined don't really add up to one nuclear power plant.

    Fracking seems the way to go but there will be tremendous ecological damage if it's not handled carefully and I expect there WILL be damage as the process evolves. Still, if it helps to solve the energy crisis and moves the US away from relying on foreign oil so much, then all the better.

  6. #6
    Company Man MattW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,294
    Quote Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
    We need to diversify.
    if 1/5 of the crackpot discoveries that Zoombie has posted over the years yield even 3% o national energy needs, then independence is truly possible.

    I'm not hoping for a golden goose, but instead a thousand chickens laying eggs into a score of baskets.
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

  7. #7
    you didn't come and help me kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    where the Lilin are
    Posts
    33,444
    Quote Originally Posted by J.S.F. View Post
    Diversification is fine if it pays off in the long run.
    Diversification is the only thing that will pay off in the long run.

    Everything else is suicide.

    Fracking seems the way to go but there will be tremendous ecological damage if it's not handled carefully and I expect there WILL be damage as the process evolves.
    There's already been damage.

    And not only ecological damage, but also damage to communities.
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

  8. #8
    A woman said to write like a man. Plot Device's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Next to the dirigible docking station
    Posts
    11,942
    Total bullshit.

    All of it.

    The utter lie inherent in the "Blue Wedge of Hope" has struck again.
    It's NOT the end of steam, it's the end of CHEAP steam.
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...&postcount=757

    Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)

  9. #9
    Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C AW Moderator Zoombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The Sunder
    Posts
    38,986
    Not TOTAL bullshit. I could see a future in synthetic petroleum by the '30s and '40s, if the technology continues to mature and develop at a reasonable pace.

    Of course, it wouldn't be for making energy. That, I see going to solar, nuclear and possibly fusion (though fusion is always ten years away). But plastics are soooo very useful...
    2068 Series: On Hiatus!
    Shard Series: On Hiatus

    Untitled Furry Thing: 65k/XXXk

    The Bracewell Parable: Done!

    Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

    BUY MY BOOK HERE!

  10. #10
    waxing digital artistic Gale Haut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Swamplands
    Posts
    3,014
    Quote Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
    If we're dependent on a non-renewable resource, we're not energy independent.

    We need to diversify.
    This was my gut reaction to the article. Though, I'm not sure how practical it is. The US is a hardcore drug user. And, at this point going cold turkey would lead to total systemic shutdown--it's not an option.

    Independence from foreign oil is a move in the right direction, and probably in the direction you'd want us to end up, though not as quickly as anyone wants.

  11. #11
    That hairy-handed gent
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Who ran amok in Kent
    Posts
    31,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Plot Device View Post
    Total bullshit.

    All of it.
    Well, no, it actually isn't, but it's your opinion, and you're welcome to it. There really is a pretty good chance we become the world's top volumetric hydrocarbon fuel producer in about a decade, given current discoveries and technical developments.

    The issue of "energy independence", based on these fossil fuel resources now being developed, is something else again. 2030 (or 2035, as I saw in another story) is a long way off, and anybody predicting what is going to happen by then is spouting phlogiston.

    We still need to diversify our energy sources, and efforts to continue to do that should continue, unabated.

    caw
    "Badger! Badger! The weasels have stolen my motor-car!"

    "Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

    -- Gone with the Wind in the Willows

  12. #12
    A woman said to write like a man. Plot Device's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Next to the dirigible docking station
    Posts
    11,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
    Of course, it wouldn't be for making energy.

    If not, then how do we achieve "total energy independence by 2030"?

    There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza ....


    .
    It's NOT the end of steam, it's the end of CHEAP steam.
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...&postcount=757

    Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)

  13. #13
    A woman said to write like a man. Plot Device's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Next to the dirigible docking station
    Posts
    11,942
    Quote Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
    Well, no, it actually isn't, but it's your opinion, and you're welcome to it. There really is a pretty good chance we become the world's top volumetric hydrocarbon fuel producer in about a decade, given current discoveries and technical developments.

    The issue of "energy independence", based on these fossil fuel resources now being developed, is something else again. 2030 (or 2035, as I saw in another story) is a long way off, and anybody predicting what is going to happen by then is spouting phlogiston.

    We still need to diversify our energy sources, and efforts to continue to do that should continue, unabated.

    caw

    Blue Wedge of Hope.

    caw


    .
    It's NOT the end of steam, it's the end of CHEAP steam.
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...&postcount=757

    Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)

  14. #14
    Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C AW Moderator Zoombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The Sunder
    Posts
    38,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Plot Device View Post
    If not, then how do we achieve "total energy independence by 2030"?
    .
    How many times do I have to say solar power? You keep saying there's a hole in the bucket, and forget that we're standing in a waterfall.
    2068 Series: On Hiatus!
    Shard Series: On Hiatus

    Untitled Furry Thing: 65k/XXXk

    The Bracewell Parable: Done!

    Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

    BUY MY BOOK HERE!

  15. #15
    A woman said to write like a man. Plot Device's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Next to the dirigible docking station
    Posts
    11,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
    How many times do I have to say solar power? You keep saying there's a hole in the bucket, and forget that we're standing in a waterfall.

    Then let's see some water. (I'm thirsty.)
    It's NOT the end of steam, it's the end of CHEAP steam.
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...&postcount=757

    Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)

  16. #16
    Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C AW Moderator Zoombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The Sunder
    Posts
    38,986
    2068 Series: On Hiatus!
    Shard Series: On Hiatus

    Untitled Furry Thing: 65k/XXXk

    The Bracewell Parable: Done!

    Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

    BUY MY BOOK HERE!

  17. #17
    you didn't come and help me kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    where the Lilin are
    Posts
    33,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Gale Haut View Post
    This was my gut reaction to the article. Though, I'm not sure how practical it is. The US is a hardcore drug user. And, at this point going cold turkey would lead to total systemic shutdown--it's not an option.
    Yup. That's why I said diversify. Fossil fuels will always be part of the equation.

    But that equation needs to gain a lot more variables. Soon.

    Nor will any one renewable be the answer. We need all of them, and we need to use them where they work, and not try to shoehorn them in where they don't.

    And then there's the craptastic state of our grid...
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

  18. #18
    That hairy-handed gent
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Who ran amok in Kent
    Posts
    31,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Plot Device View Post
    Blue Wedge of Hope.
    .
    I think you missed my point, or perhaps I didn't make it explicitly clear. As to the "production" side, the likelihood of becoming the world's top producer is pretty strong. That's not based on my opinion. I'm a geologist, 35 years professional experience and great and continuing familiarity with the petroleum industry. Whether you like it or not is immaterial; the opening up of immense new resources with new technology has exceeded the most favorable predictions of just a few years ago. And, something that may amaze some people, the U.S. actually is a pretty big oil producer already.

    The "consumption" side, however, is another matter. I'm not at all convinced we will somehow restrain our endless desire to consume energy, from whatever source. With 5% of the world's population, the U.S. today consumes something like 25% of the world's energy production. If that percentage continues to exist, we will likely outstrip even the probable new domestic production levels.

    None of this discussion even begins to address the issue of the increased amount of CO2 emission inevitable with the increased production and consumption of fossil fuels.

    caw
    "Badger! Badger! The weasels have stolen my motor-car!"

    "Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

    -- Gone with the Wind in the Willows

  19. #19
    you didn't come and help me kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    where the Lilin are
    Posts
    33,444
    Quote Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
    And, something that may amaze some people, the U.S. actually is a pretty big oil producer already.
    And then you tell them that our biggest single source of imported oil is Canada...
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

  20. #20
    you didn't come and help me kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    where the Lilin are
    Posts
    33,444
    I strongly recommend those interested in where this oil actually comes from read a couple of my blog posts here and here. The pertinent parts are toward the end of each.

    The point is that this oil comes at a price. It is deeply affecting communities and people's lives. Some for good. Some for ill.

    The people who come to drill, they don't care how it affects those communities. They don't live there. They don't have to deal with the consequences of where they dump their frack water. They get chewed out by a higher up and move on. They don't stay to watch the land die.

    For many of these communities, this oil is a second chance. But I fear it will be gone, sucked up and bled dry, before they even know what they can do with it, before they figure out how not to get tricked again.

    I just think it's important to remember where this oil comes from, that getting it affects the land, affects people, affects communities.
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

  21. #21
    Red fish, blue fish... J.S.F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Osaka
    Posts
    5,399
    kuwisdelu,

    The point about affecting communities is well taken but hasn't that always been the way? Long ago (and still now) you had coal mining, or gold, or copper, or silver mining. Drilling in the earth for oil, rare earth substances, and other ores, all of which did cause damage to varying degrees. There is no way on Earth right now where you can mass produce anything which will equal what the planet gives us. This is a fact.

    Zoombie sounds like a prognosticator in many of his posts but they are good prognostications and I like the ideas presented. Realistically, however, progress always comes at a price. And right now, the price is, yes, people in some communities. The trade-off is jobs and money and increased sources of energy (fracking, for example). I don't like it any better than you do but it is what it is.

    As for solar power, Zoombie, how are the 'sun' companies doing? Not being snide, just would sincerely like to know. I know the President poured a lot of research money into some of them and from what I read, they suffered huge losses. Have any of them to the best of your knowledge made significant headway in solar power manufacturing?

  22. #22
    you didn't come and help me kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    where the Lilin are
    Posts
    33,444
    Quote Originally Posted by J.S.F. View Post
    kuwisdelu,

    The point about affecting communities is well taken but hasn't that always been the way? Long ago (and still now) you had coal mining, or gold, or copper, or silver mining. Drilling in the earth for oil, rare earth substances, and other ores, all of which did cause damage to varying degrees. There is no way on Earth right now where you can mass produce anything which will equal what the planet gives us. This is a fact.
    I don't see your point.

    Zoombie sounds like a prognosticator in many of his posts but they are good prognostications and I like the ideas presented. Realistically, however, progress always comes at a price. And right now, the price is, yes, people in some communities. The trade-off is jobs and money and increased sources of energy (fracking, for example). I don't like it any better than you do but it is what it is.
    But it's not progress. It's procrastination.

    As for solar power, Zoombie, how are the 'sun' companies doing? Not being snide, just would sincerely like to know. I know the President poured a lot of research money into some of them and from what I read, they suffered huge losses. Have any of them to the best of your knowledge made significant headway in solar power manufacturing?
    Solar works pretty well in the southwest.

    The biggest hurdle is most people don't have any incentive, and they won't until it's too late.
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

  23. #23
    Represent.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    6,667
    Quote Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
    The "consumption" side, however, is another matter. I'm not at all convinced we will somehow restrain our endless desire to consume energy, from whatever source. With 5% of the world's population, the U.S. today consumes something like 25% of the world's energy production. If that percentage continues to exist, we will likely outstrip even the probable new domestic production levels.



    caw
    Obama getting the automakers to agree to double fuel mileage will help quite a bit. Remember, that's a done deal.
    NaNoWriMo:
    The Forest of Oblivion 51,077/50,000
    Finished!

  24. #24
    A woman said to write like a man. Plot Device's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Next to the dirigible docking station
    Posts
    11,942
    Quote Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
    I think you missed my point, or perhaps I didn't make it explicitly clear. As to the "production" side, the likelihood of becoming the world's top producer is pretty strong. That's not based on my opinion. I'm a geologist, 35 years professional experience and great and continuing familiarity with the petroleum industry. Whether you like it or not is immaterial; the opening up of immense new resources with new technology has exceeded the most favorable predictions of just a few years ago. And, something that may amaze some people, the U.S. actually is a pretty big oil producer already.

    The "consumption" side, however, is another matter. I'm not at all convinced we will somehow restrain our endless desire to consume energy, from whatever source. With 5% of the world's population, the U.S. today consumes something like 25% of the world's energy production. If that percentage continues to exist, we will likely outstrip even the probable new domestic production levels.

    None of this discussion even begins to address the issue of the increased amount of CO2 emission inevitable with the increased production and consumption of fossil fuels.

    caw

    I have tremendous respect for your professional accomplishments. But I do not see your saying I am wrong with my end-game stance of "we're screwed." The convoluted journey filled with deceptive milestones of presumed or temorary success that we will meander down on the road to "we're screwed" is immaterial because at the end of that marathon of false hope we're still screwed.
    It's NOT the end of steam, it's the end of CHEAP steam.
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...&postcount=757

    Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)

  25. #25
    A woman said to write like a man. Plot Device's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Next to the dirigible docking station
    Posts
    11,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post

    But, Zoombie, there are two problem with the two articles you have linked.

    1) I am thirsty right fricking now. So these maybe-ish possbilities for somewhere in the future do not help as far as this right fricking now need goes.

    2) Both article use those annoying words of false hope: woulds like "could" and "might" and "may soon" and "possibly one day," etc. In other words, the articles aren't even sure that these technologies will ever be deliverable at any time in any foreseeable future period here in the known universe.


    For us to keep languishing in this kind of hoped-for state of still-on-the-drawing-board/maybe-some-day tech was fine back in the 1970's. But it's now 40 years later, and not only do we STILL not have this stuff, but we're runnng out of time as far as what our global economy can shoulder with increasing energy scarcity and balooning human population.
    It's NOT the end of steam, it's the end of CHEAP steam.
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...&postcount=757

    Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search