Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Alien Adam's Apple

Alien Adam's Apple

What do I call a man's Adam's apple when he's not from Earth and therefore has never heard of Adam or Eve?

Wikipedia calls it the "laryngeal prominence," but that's much too anatomical, especially for a scene that's meant to be romantic. His Adam's apple is bobbing with nervousness as he swallows, shortly after being reunited with the woman he loves.

Is there another term for it? Something non-scientific and non-Biblical in origin?

Professor of applied misanthropy Drachen Jager's Avatar
    Can't you just say something else to show his nervousness? Quivering is romantic, or you could just say he swallows nervously. Perhaps he just has a nervous tic all his own? I just finished a short where the MC bobs his head like a duck when he's nervous. It's a good opportunity to build some character in, instead of falling back on a tired cliche.

That hairy-handed gent
    For heaven's sake, Orianna, you're writing speculative fiction. No reader is going to expect this level of detail, and it can't possibly matter for the story. He's an alien. When embarrassed or nervous, his vaxillary prominence flashes green.

caw
    "Badger! Badger! The weasels have stolen my motor-car!"

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows

Yeah, this isn't really 'research'. If you need ideas for speculative terms, I suggest you chat to the folks in Science Fiction/Fantasy.
    Cath
    www.cathsmith.net - my photos
    www.cathsmith.com - my website

"Many and various, strange and multitudinous are the friends that befriend me in this world, yet I never found one false or that did not surpass me in some virtue."
    Wilfred Owen in a letter home.