Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...ioWare-Producer-New-IP-Isnt-a-Priority-for-EA
Levy states that EA's previous stategy of "big brands + big marketing budget + high production values = $$$" may have "finally run its course in the core space." Going forward, Levy believes, EA will focus on smaller games that will provide a bigger return on the publisher's investment. "As far as I can tell from publicly facing information, creating innovative, new IPs just isn't a priority for the organization."

So, if what this former producer say is true, it looks like firms like BioWare will be producing the next Angry Birds for iOS and Android instead of creating new worlds and experiences on the level of Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

My initial reaction is split about this. If EA could get out of big games, it would be good. There are enough firms out there to fill the vacuum, and many of those firms are healthier for the industry than EA. But it could also be a signal about things to come.

Maybe the age of big budget triple A titles are coming to an end?

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I read the blog post by Ethan Levy that was linked to in the news article.

Of the many new IPs developed for this generation, only Army of Two, Dead Space and Dragon Age continue to see new versions. As far as I can tell from publicly facing information, creating innovative, new IPs just isn’t a priority for the organization.

...someone who used to work for a BioWare studio who isn't aware that they are making a new Mass Effect? And making sequels for a small number of IPs means that they're not going to create new IPs?

While I'm sure that games like The Simpsons: Tapped Out will be more prevalent from EA, I truly doubt that they're going to completely abandon existing IPs and creating new IPs—or that they're going to make BioWare do Angry Birds.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Bioware is also working on developing a brand new IP. They announced that last month when the founders retired from the company. It'll be for next gen, just like the next Mass Effect.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
I can't help but see all the parallels between the gaming industry and publishing right now.

The middle tiers are disappearing in both; corporate content producers churn out derivative triple-A titles, while all the innovation and small/niche/smart work comes from the indies at the bottom.

Ouya may be for the games industry what the Kindle was for publishing.

There are still developers producing great triple-A titles, like Bethesda and Valve. Interestingly, IMO, the great triple-A titles tend to go hand-in-hand with modability. User content is what makes these games great.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
There are still developers producing great triple-A titles, like Bethesda and Valve. Interestingly, IMO, the great triple-A titles tend to go hand-in-hand with modability. User content is what makes these games great.

I'd also like to note that the two companies you pointed to are not publicly traded companies. They don't have quarterly profitability statements to report to Wall Street. So, if the game has to slip to be a better game, it can.

And, like you, I see the middle tier disappearing. When the people who have 'the most' invested in your company can divest themselves by clicking 'sell', you've got a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.