Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 102

Thread: Being offended by the term 'fair'

  1. #76
    DenturePunk writer bearilou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    Posts
    5,931
    Quote Originally Posted by mccardey View Post
    Around here meaning in your neighborhood and amongst your friends? Or around here meaning AW - which may have a different linguistic code?

    Yeah - maybe it's a regional thing.
    Clearly, because he doesn't know anyone who might find it a problem, it isn't a problem at all and the rest of us are just making it up and looking to be offended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.
    I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
    My sort-of-not-really blog.

  2. #77
    I was only joking! Honest! mirandashell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    14,661
    Hate when that happens.
    I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how you can be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?

  3. #78
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,090
    Quote Originally Posted by glutton View Post
    So is there an assumption that all people who don't value political correctness are of a particular race, gender, etc?
    Yea it's usually white men who have the upper hand in society that don't value political correctness. If it's a minority or woman who says sexist or racist stuff I get the feeling they've internalized the sexism, homophobia and racism that we are fed by society. If you're taught self-hatred of your race or sex from birth by society, then you will internalize it regardless.
    Last edited by fireluxlou; 11-10-2012 at 11:41 PM.

  4. #79
    practical experience, FTW Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    AW. A very nice place!
    Posts
    11,459
    ... told this story once before. It does not bear repeating, but I'm gonna do so anyway

    I needed a picture of a mailman, as a basis for a cartoon I was drawing. So I went to the library and asked the librarian for a book that had a picture of a mailman in it. "The correct term is mailperson," she replied. "But I need a picture of one who's male," I said. She stood there and thought about that for awhile, trying to figure whether I was in the right or wrong, leaving me to look for a book on my own.

  5. #80
    practical experience, FTW mccardey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Australia.
    Posts
    8,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    ... told this story once before. It does not bear repeating, but I'm gonna do so anyway

    I needed a picture of a mailman, as a basis for a cartoon I was drawing. So I went to the library and asked the librarian for a book that had a picture of a mailman in it. "The correct term is mailperson," she replied. "But I need a picture of one who's male," I said. She stood there and thought about that for awhile, trying to figure whether I was in the right or wrong, leaving me to look for a book on my own.
    And your point is what, Ken? That once upon a time all people who delivered mail were male? That the librarian was female and therefore politically correct? That you were unable to express your wants clearly?

    I'm getting so tired of this.

    Someone please ban me.

  6. #81
    I was only joking! Honest! mirandashell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    14,661
    Not til I get my cookie!
    I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how you can be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?

  7. #82
    practical experience, FTW Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    AW. A very nice place!
    Posts
    11,459
    Quote Originally Posted by mccardey View Post
    And your point is what, Ken? That once upon a time all people who delivered mail were male? That the librarian was female and therefore politically correct? That you were unable to express your wants clearly?

    I'm getting so tired of this.

    Someone please ban me.
    ... leaving others to draw their own conclusions.
    Not offering up any, myself.
    It was just an experience I had that tied in to the topic.
    So I figured I'd mention it.

  8. #83
    practical experience, FTW Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    AW. A very nice place!
    Posts
    11,459
    Quote Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
    Not til I get my cookie!
    ... ---> O
    Oh what the heck.
    With the holidays and all coming up, make it two --> OO

  9. #84
    practical experience, FTW mccardey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Australia.
    Posts
    8,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    ... leaving others to draw their own conclusions.
    Not offering up any, myself.
    It was just an experience I had that tied in to the topic.
    So I figured I'd mention it.
    Oh come on. Really? What a lot of typing for something that had no conclusions.

    Somebody.

    Ban me.

    Please.

    A week would be lovely.

    A nice mini-ban. Medi? Mac? Anyone?

  10. #85
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchyblanket View Post
    I don't think you'll find I've said that anywhere. A person who doesn't care if their words offend someone is either lucky enough to have never been on the sharp end of those words, or ignorant enough to assume that because they're thick-skinned, everyone else ought to be.
    So the 'privilege' of being thick-skinned? I'd argue that being thin-skinned is as much of a 'choice' as not 'wanting' to be politically correct, just as expressing thin-skinned-ness is as much of a choice as expressing political incorrectness. BTW I am a minority (and poor), and I don't think of myself as inferior... I do, however, view being thin-skinned and easily offended as a form of intolerance.

    What set me off was this:

    Quote Originally Posted by leahzero View Post
    The fact that you reductively dismiss it as "overly PC zealotry" tells me a lot about your attitude toward women
    I found this assumption highly offensive and discriminatory. Also note that I have had more personal attacks thrown my way in this thread than the other way around, as I have been called a 'bigot' and 'stoopid' while the biggest insult I've used is probably... politically correct.

  11. #86
    Sever your leg please. Canotila's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Strongbadia
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by glutton View Post
    No, I'm arguing that you don't have to be PC not to be sexist. You can make racial stereotype jokes without actually being racist (ie. thinking people of that race are in fact inferior).
    Racism isn't about thinking people of a particular race are inferior. It's thinking people possess specific traits due to their race (nationality, ethnicity, etc.) There are a lot of racist stereotypes that are not inherently bad things, like Jews being good with money, or Asian people being good at math.

    What makes it negative is stereotypes are not true. Making general stereotypes about any group of people is dehumanizing.


    Dog in a swing score: 114 reps. Go dog go!

  12. #87
    I was only joking! Honest! mirandashell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    14,661
    I love the regulars on this board. No matter how obstreporous, stubborn, and short-sighted someone is, you all try your best to explain and teach. You're fantastic, all of you.
    I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how you can be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?

  13. #88
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Canotila View Post
    Racism isn't about thinking people of a particular race are inferior. It's thinking people of a particular race possess specific traits due to their race (nationality, ethnicity, etc.) There are a lot of racist stereotypes that are not inherently bad things, like Jews being good with money, or Asian people being good at math.

    What makes it negative is stereotypes are not true. Making general stereotypes about any group of people is dehumanizing.
    You don't need to actually believe stereotypes to find a joke about them funny though. I'm pretty sure no one actually thinks Asian fast food restaurants cook stray cats after all but it can be amusing to wonder if that weird looking pork in the wonton is in fact cat (I'm Asian BTW).

  14. #89
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
    I love the regulars on this board. No matter how obstreporous, stubborn, and short-sighted someone is, you all try your best to explain and teach. You're fantastic, all of you.
    You're a very tolerant person with your personal insults towards people who don't share your views.

  15. #90
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,090
    Quote Originally Posted by glutton View Post
    So the 'privilege' of being thick-skinned? I'd argue that being thin-skinned is as much of a 'choice' as not 'wanting' to be politically correct, just as expressing thin-skinned-ness is as much of a choice as expressing political incorrectness. BTW I am a minority (and poor), and I don't think of myself as inferior... I do, however, view being thin-skinned and easily offended as a form of intolerance.

    What set me off was this:



    I found this assumption highly offensive and discriminatory. Also note that I have had more personal attacks thrown my way in this thread than the other way around, as I have been called a 'bigot' and 'stoopid' while the biggest insult I've used is probably... politically correct.
    I want to tell you where to go with your internalized racism and overt sexism but I feel like it would have the same affect as blowing air on an ice cream to cool it down.

  16. #91
    Think think think... danrupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by glutton View Post
    I found this assumption highly offensive and discriminatory. Also note that I have had more personal attacks thrown my way in this thread than the other way around, as I have been called a 'bigot' and 'stoopid' while the biggest insult I've used is probably... politically correct.

    You asked if using the word "fair" would upset women. I think you got your answer... yes, some. Now, you have to sort out if you care or not. If your story is meant for an audience who expects to see 42 in. bust squeeze into a 38 in. chainmail bra, then you need to accept it's not going to appeal to 100% of the women out there (or men... can't be sexist myself).

    On the other hand, if you are looking to present a unique character who is more than a bust size, perhaps you need to look at describing your story in a way that doesn't alienate the women who are offended by "fair".

    It's hard to not make judgments about an author based on the writing. If you write things are considered un-PC, then people will label you. However, imo you shouldn't force your writing to be PC if that's not true to your story.

    Hope this helps.

  17. #92
    I was only joking! Honest! mirandashell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    14,661
    You're a very tolerant person with your personal insults towards people who don't share your views.
    You know what, I'm too old to deal with other people's nonsense. I'm a lot older than many people on this board and I'm running out of time. And most of them are nicer than me too.

    And it's odd that what you want be allowed to offend people but don't like it when it's handed back. What can I say?
    I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how you can be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?

  18. #93
    DenturePunk writer bearilou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    Posts
    5,931
    Quote Originally Posted by glutton View Post
    You don't need to actually believe stereotypes to find a joke about them funny though.
    Um.... nor do you actually need to recognize a stereotype for what it is to find a joke about them distinctly unfunny, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.
    I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
    My sort-of-not-really blog.

  19. #94
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by fireluxlou View Post
    I want to tell you where to go with your internalized racism and overt sexism but I feel like it would have the same affect as blowing air on an ice cream to cool it down.
    See these are the type of assumptions that I find most offensive. If there's one group I'm bigoted against, it's the group of 'people who judge based on nothing but assumptions'.

  20. #95
    Sever your leg please. Canotila's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Strongbadia
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by glutton View Post
    You don't need to actually believe stereotypes to find a joke about them funny though. I'm pretty sure no one actually thinks Asian fast food restaurants cook stray cats after all but it can be amusing to wonder if that weird looking pork in the wonton is in fact cat (I'm Asian BTW).
    My point wasn't about whether stereotypical jokes are funny. That's all a matter of personal taste. It's that a stereotype doesn't need to be about a negative trait to be racist.


    Dog in a swing score: 114 reps. Go dog go!

  21. #96
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,090
    Quote Originally Posted by glutton View Post
    See these are the type of assumptions that I find most offensive. If there's one group I'm bigoted against, it's the group of 'people who judge based on nothing but assumptions'.
    Boohoo. Shall I cry you a river?

  22. #97
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by fireluxlou View Post
    Shall I cry you a river?
    No, but your inability to discuss this civilly validates my negative preconceptions of 'you people' (Judgmental Assumers).

  23. #98
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,090
    Quote Originally Posted by glutton View Post
    No, but your inability to discuss this civilly validates my negative preconceptions of 'you people' (Judgmental Assumers).
    'You people' you mean 'your inability to discuss this civilly validates my negative preconceptions about you women' seriously?

    Well I did for a short time, I even tried to educate you upthread, but alas it was useless... wondering if you're trolling now.
    Last edited by fireluxlou; 11-11-2012 at 12:41 AM.

  24. #99
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by fireluxlou View Post
    'You people' you mean 'your inability to discuss this civility validates my negative preconceptions about you women' seriously?

    Well I did for a short time, I even tried to educate you upthread, but alas it was useless... wondering if you're trolling now.
    You make too many assumptions about people you don't know for me to consider being 'educated' by you.

    Assumptions are what cause bigots to act like bigots after all.

  25. #100
    I was only joking! Honest! mirandashell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    14,661
    Is it a bit too early for scores?
    I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how you can be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search