Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Copyright violator link

Copyright violator link

I discovered someone on a torrent site posting collections of ebooks - m/m, I think, or at least romance/erotica of some kind, from the names I recognize and the file names including MM.
    http://kat.ph/user/sory2/
    I reported my book (which was released yesterday - this person was quick!), and I imagine others here are in those files.
    There are other site members posting similar collections.

address for complaints: copyright@kat.ph
    “Coming of Age” in Say Please: Lesbian BDSM Erotica
    Make Mine to Go -- New release planned for September
    “A Port in the Storm” -- in Best Gay Erotica 2014
    "Consequences" -- forthcoming in Blush
    Visit my website for details - Adults Only

Editing all the time E. S. Lark's Avatar
    Thanks for this. I found a lot of Lori's and have emailed her the links. None of mine are up there...yet.
    Erotic Romance:
    Website | Twitter | Facebook

Ah, yep, recognized a lot of fellow AWer's works on there. Incl. mine. Anyone who writes M/M should take a look and report asap.
    WIP's:
    The Oracle's Light: 37,000/50,000

Bloggin' | Facebookin'
    I Can Haz Website?

There were about 30 titles in the file with my book. The site might not pull a whole collection if one author complains, but if bunch of us do...

Of course that still leaves other torrent sites.

You're frigging kidding me. Some of those are from Dreamspinner too. Thanks Dilo. I've passed it on to Dreamspinner/reported link.
    Last edited by Fallen; 11-04-2012 at 02:49 PM.

The moving hand, having writ... AW Moderator Maryn's Avatar
    Geez. People suck.

Tedi, yours is there: http://kat.ph/mm-tedi-sinclair-heave...-t6785240.html
    Kindness. It doesn't cost a damned thing. If you're smart, you'll spread that stuff all over the place.

Brick by Brick, a ménage ŕ trois novel
    Taming the Wilde, spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Maryn Says
    , an irregular blog
    The Occasional Tweet

I think there's one of Veinglory's and a fair few of Kate Sherwood's too (click on the bottom 'and 40 files more)

https://kat.ph/mm-ebooks-t6645687.html

It's a doggy dog world benbradley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiloKeith View Post
    I discovered someone on a torrent site posting collections of ebooks - m/m, I think, or at least romance/erotica of some kind, from the names I recognize and the file names including MM.
    http://kat.ph/user/sory2/
    I reported my book (which was released yesterday - this person was quick!), and I imagine others here are in those files.
    There are other site members posting similar collections.

address for complaints: copyright@kat.ph
    I'd like to know if anything actually gets removed from that site based on complaints sent to that address. Looking at what's available on the main site http://kat.ph I'm doubtful.
    Ello.
    NaNoWriMo 2014: Unknown.
    Tweets daily or so.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Well, mine seems to be down. if they don't take it down things escalate in a way that most people prefer to avoid. They would rather just take it down and upload later in the hope no one notices.

On Goodreads, someone has my book shelved as a "Free" book. *headdesk*

Oh man... *shakes head in disgust*

On Goodreads, someone has my book shelved as a "Free" book. *headdesk*
    Don't stress yourself out if you don't have to. Free could mean a gift from friends or family.

Banned
    There were some very aggressive piracy threads on goodreads, originally intended to be kindle/nook loan threads where people were offering thousands of books via sugarsync. I think GR started to crack down because the one I knew about is gone, but they certainly didn't when I whinged to them about it.

To me, the key is piracy should require some level of technical expertise and understanding that "yeah, you are pirating this" like a torrent. Then, well, it's not a big deal. It's when something is portrayed as being legal and worse that it's really easy that I worry.

Alas, nobody pirates me yet. I can only hope I get that popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Argent View Post
    Don't stress yourself out if you don't have to. Free could mean a gift from friends or family.
    Thanks. I thought of that but guessed it be less likely. Either way, I'm not stressing - just checking out how things are.

Anyone see the load of crap that person at Kickass Torrents posted on their profile recently??

"I sincerely believe that what I do is right. I understand that my friends can send me a copy of what they bought, they own. Likewise with what I buy, it's mine. And therefore I can do whatever I want with it. If I want to send it to friends who can not buy, it is my right. Not everyone can afford to buy the books. And I, even though I'm very limited, if you bought some. Buy eight to ten books a month. The rest I send them my friends also buy. Once you buy a book, it's mine. "

Umm, no. It's copyrighted. Idiot. It may be your book, but it's not yours to share worldwide.
    WIP's:
    The Oracle's Light: 37,000/50,000

Bloggin' | Facebookin'
    I Can Haz Website?

Crap factor aside (and there's a lot to move aside), that person is correct, in a way, about what can be done with a personal copy. (Not the file sharing part, however.) Many types of copyrighted material can be shared, but not reproduced, and what they're doing is reproducing. It's the same as photocopying a print book -- also copyrighted, but can be shared in the original form because the number of copies stays the same. It's possible that some people truly don't understand the distinction.

Yeah, I caught that. I take it they haven't heard about distribution and reproduction rights?

Quote Originally Posted by c.m.n. View Post
    Anyone see the load of crap that person at Kickass Torrents posted on their profile recently??

"I sincerely believe that what I do is right. I understand that my friends can send me a copy of what they bought, they own. Likewise with what I buy, it's mine. And therefore I can do whatever I want with it. If I want to send it to friends who can not buy, it is my right. Not everyone can afford to buy the books. And I, even though I'm very limited, if you bought some. Buy eight to ten books a month. The rest I send them my friends also buy. Once you buy a book, it's mine. "

Umm, no. It's copyrighted. Idiot. It may be your book, but it's not yours to share worldwide.

D, I can't see yours anymore. A lot of the ones from Dreamspinner have been removed too.

It's a doggy dog world benbradley's Avatar
    Crap factor aside (and there's a lot to move aside), that person is correct, in a way, about what can be done with a personal copy. (Not the file sharing part, however.) Many types of copyrighted material can be shared, but not reproduced, and what they're doing is reproducing. It's the same as photocopying a print book -- also copyrighted, but can be shared in the original form because the number of copies stays the same. It's possible that some people truly don't understand the distinction.
    The way computers work and the ease of copying files may well confuse the issue [especially for those who don't want to understand]. There's no real way to "loan an original" bought-and-paid-for ebook unless you loan the device it's stored on. "Sharing" it by putting it on some other medium (flash/thumb drive, CD, sending it in an email) makes a copy, and the only way that can possibly be legal is if the original file is immediately deleted.

It's possible to "move" a file - in the MSWindows finder, you hold down the shift key while you drag-and-drop - and this just tells the computer to delete the original once the copy has been successfully made. But probably just about no one does that.
    Ello.
    NaNoWriMo 2014: Unknown.
    Tweets daily or so.