The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] Unboxed Books

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar

[Publisher] Unboxed Books

I belong to a Facebook playwrights group and someone posted this link there today "for those that write in other mediums:"

http://unboxedbooks.com/contest/

While I'm delighted there's another potential publisher out there, a bunch of alarm bells went off when I was reading the site. Since the website states that the contest prize is funded by deGroot Foundation in association with Provincetown Arts, I am going to assume the steep $35 entry fees will be going into the publisher's kitty to assist with startup costs. That alone makes me anxious. Any thoughts?
    KINGLET: Coming from FIERY SEAS PUBLISHING in August 2017

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Main URL: http://unboxedbooks.com/

Appears to be a Wordpress blog.

Considering the prize ($5k plus publication), the entry fee is a little high but not totally outrageous. Provincetown Arts Magazine has apparently been around since 1985, so it's not exactly a startup, and I didn't see any immediate red flags on a google for Provincetown Arts Press. So I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, but do further checking here and Predators and Editors, etc.
    Je suis Charlie

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

Passion is easy; commitment is hard.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Winner was published Dec '13, but no activity since (Tw/FB ceased Jan '14).
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: