Hybrid Hurricane/ Winter Storm

MelodySRV

Registered
Reaction score
We are sending good luck, vibes and prayers your way. Let us know if you make it through!

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Cable is going on and off, so don't know how much longer I'll be able to post.

I was watching tv, and some people have not a clue. There are people here who never witnessed the severity of storms that can hit the coast. They leave their lawn chairs out, think nothing of piling their leaves at the curb (which then clog the sewer lines), wander down to the boardwalk while the ocean is grabbing at the pilings underneath, and --here's the kicker--one guy said that after this first surge, things will get better. Huh?! The eye of the storm is still about two hundred miles away and coming on shore.
The cops blocked the beach road entrances so kite surfers wouldn't go out, b/c you know they would! Then, the rescue boats would have to haul their asses out and endanger everyone, just b/c.

There's already street flooding from the surge(s); I'm getting that from online. The berms they put in place didn't hold. At least they tried.

It's astounding to me that people don't realize that this isn't the 1st of the surges, it's the 2nd and there's 2 more to come w/ no time in between for the waters to recede. Where oh where do these non-thinking people come from.

My lights haven't begun to flicker as of yet. I'm waiting for that to begin, but at least I'm ready. I did download an android radio; pretty cool that I figured that out all by my little 'ole self :D At least I can keep up w/ the basic news/weather which is mostly what I want when I'm not running the generator.

If or when you lot do lose power, just know that AW is going to be holding its thumbs for you, and waiting to hear that you're safely back here, with everything settled and calm.
Thanks, that means a lot. We are a caring group when the chips are down :Hug2:

Anaquana

needed a good laugh today
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anaquana.wordpress.com
The winds just started to pick up here in Western MA. Not much more than a light misting of rain, but that's supposed to change within the next hour or so.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Not the worst casualty, but a loss none the less. The HMS Bounty sank. Thankfully, all of the crew members were rescued.http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/...ople-In-Lifeboats-Off-NC-Coast-176228331.html

Another cancelation/closing (in case you're coming to AW for your updates lol) CT has closed all highways as of 1pm monday. I've seen bridges close in wind, but in all my years I've never seen a Governor close the highways.

Stay safe people!

Edit: Article just updated, 2 of the crew members are missing. Thoughts go out to them, their families and the people searching for them.
Holy shoot, I've got a pic of her leaving Bridgeport Harbor on my camera phone that a friend of mine took when she left port!! That's her home port, he followed her out, on his boat and took it, it's an awesome shot. I heard about it this am, but they hadn't said it was her. Wow, what a shame, and 2 missing? Why did they even set sail?

Yeah, I've never heard the Gov close the highways, either. A good friend of mine is a State Trooper and the Merritt's closed too.

Stay safe, all and hunker down.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on Long Island, NY. So far not too terrible. The winds have gotten pretty steady, the rain just picked up, but it would seem we are not on the heavy rain side of the storm but the white/windy side. They're expecting up to 11 foot surges which is terrible for the south and (especially) the north shores of the island. Already 20 thousand power outages and the bad part of the storm doesn't come until tonight. We lost power with Irene for 2 days. Can't imagine what this will do. I'm mostly worried for the coastal people. There's already flooding and high tide (with a full moon tonight) isn't even here yet.

STAY SAFE ALL EAST COASTER PEEPS!

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Large ships will often put out to sea ahead of a big storm because its better than getting beat to death while tied to a pier. With the Bounty's tall mask, she may have been too large to take harbor inland by going up a river because of bridges. Same with using the inter-coastal waterway.

I suspect the captain was trying to outrun the storm. We will have to wait for the official inquiry before we know for sure what the Captains intentions were.

If there are two crew members missing, or passengers, the captain of the vessel can face charges if its proven he ignored safe operating procedure for such circumstances. My understanding, most sailing ships of the Bounty class would sail closer to shore. The idea is if the ship is taking on water, the captain can beach her to give the crew a fighting chance to survive.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Latest news from our mayor:

The storm surge for us is now a Category 2. Mandatory evacuations up to two blocks in from the ocean. From what I was told about the storm of '38, the ocean came up to Third Avenue, bringing the boardwalk and benches with it. This sounds similar. I live just west of Third Avenue.

The South End Pavillion (lockers and pool and on the beach) is being undermined by the waves. That pavillion and end of town always get a beating. My end doesn't. Usually.

Right now gusts of about 60 mph. Many hours to go before Sandy settles in here.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
So far the rain and wind here are nothing special, but it's supposed to get much worse by late afternoon. For now we still have power.

I'm gonna head out to work now. If some of you guys could keep your fingers crossed for me so that I don't get blown into the ocean, that would be nice.

For those with more sensible jobs, stay inside and keep safe.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Stormie, please tell me you have high ground you can get to.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
According to a news update on the radio, the HMS Bounty was indeed trying to evade the storm, and was in regular contact with the National Weather Service until they lost radio comms.

retlaw

Banned
Reaction score
The first part of the worst part of this storm is still 5 hours away from rolling over my house. We already have large tree limbs down. I do not think this structure will last the night. Thankfully, my wife is traveling in Europe. My daughter is away at college in Illinois. So just me and the boy, 2 cats, a dog, and a horse.

I planned well. I should have plenty of everything except electricity. Still - I am expecting interesting times tonight.

HA! :D

If now could be one of those times when I am just oh-so spectacularly WRONG! Never happier to be that wrong in my life. :)

To the rest of you on the East Coast - let's all be safe and meet again on Wednesday!

Sorry if it's a bit of a ramble up there. You're the only ppl I can talk to. :) Gotta be less realistic w/family & friends.

Nick Rolynd

50% Dark, 50% Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knitewrites.wordpress.com
No more developments in southeast VA yet. The wind has picked up a bit, but the gusts are still mild. It appears that the worst of it for us will be later this afternoon into night. At this point, (looking at the Dominion map) there haven't been too many outages in VA. Most are concentrated in Norfolk/Virginia Beach so far, but I expect that to change as the storms gets closer.

God, it never ceases to boggle my mind how people are out in this storm. I'm watching the Weather Channel live stream, and every time they switch to the people on the scene, the reporters are surrounded with bystanders watching the storm. I'm waiting to see someone get toppled by a wave...

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Just saw this kaitie, thanks! I'm 25 feet above sea level, and on a curve from the ocean. For us it's more the wind than the sea. The shelters here are about the same location as I am, so it's better to be in this house.

You guys might not hear from me for a few days when power goes out. I don't have a smart phone and I'm not in a hot spot (for wifi) area.

So far elec. is holding on, as is cable. (ETA: Cable is very spotty. )

WInds are now gusting to 69 mph.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
It's getting windy here as well. I'll probably loose power. I have a generator if it's going to be longer than a few hours.

I took 1/2 a day and I'm home now. Waiting for wife & kids to arrive.

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw some of New York on the news. What's with the people who are taking their kids outside to look at it by the waterfront?

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Gusts are picking up, but sustained winds not too bad, rain not too heavy yet.

Everything a-ok so far: power is on, kids are bored.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw some of New York on the news. What's with the people who are taking their kids outside to look at it by the waterfront?

OMG. I was thinking the same thing. Some people are so stupid and selfish. Did you see the one dude who was surfing? WTF? All these officials keep talking about how DANGEROUS and FOOLISH it is to be chancing things by staying in certain areas that are going to have serious flooding issues and I'm like, forget dangerous and foolish, IT'S SELFISH. To put some first responder in danger and chance getting HIM/HER hurt because you decided to be an a$$hole and not listen to the warnings is beyond selfish. There's another couple they just had on the local Long Island news station who aren't leaving because they are getting married next week in the Bahamas and everything they need for the wedding is in their home. The woman says (and I quote), "I couldn't leave my wedding dress." Umm...it's not like we are talking about moving a car. It's a DRESS. They can be transported. People are so effing stupid it disgusts me. If we had warnings to get out, you better believe we'd be out.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
something's banging around, outside, and I'm not in the mood to go look. the gusts are around 50 + at the moment. birds are out of food, too. why does everything happen at once :)

national guard has the beach blocked off and the streets are flooding.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Awwww, it's so sad about the HMS Bounty. :( The thought of a tall ship trying to outrun a storm and going down in 2012 is just . . . like something out of a book. Weird and sad. I adore tall ships. Damn hurricane.

Well, I took a couple week break from AW and now I'm back for however long I have before the stupid power goes out. They've downgraded the wind warning here in southcentral PA slightly, from gusts up to 80-something MPH to 70MPH. I'm very worried about the power going out. It's going to be cold here and I don't live in a place with back-up heat of any kind.

I feel like a Floridian in a snowstorm. Hurricane?! We're not supposed to get those here!

It's just raining now, though. Very undramatic.

crazynance

~call me Mrs Writer ~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crazynance.livejournal.com
Our son was visiting in NH for his gf's bday, but we got flights changed and brought him home yesterday. Gonna need him here to bail my basement if rain keeps up a long time... Actually I didn't want her parents to have to consider him if making emergency plans.