Hybrid Hurricane/ Winter Storm

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
That is good news! The stink from rotting food is like no other....

Our boardwalk is gone, and the railroad tracks are still out of commission. Pieces of the boardwalk floated four blocks inland at the part of town that is sea level.

What amazes many is that buildings that stood for a century or more were demolished by the water surge.

We have a police scanner since my older son helps out at the first aid building. What frightened me more the night of the storm was the sound of the rescuers' voices as they battled the wind and the ocean. Rowboats that they usually use didn't stand a chance. One left his rowboat and grabbed a Jetski which was far better at saving people trapped in their second floor or attic.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
That is good news! The stink from rotting food is like no other....

Our boardwalk is gone, and the railroad tracks are still out of commission. Pieces of the boardwalk floated four blocks inland at the part of town that is sea level.

What amazes many is that buildings that stood for a century or more were demolished by the water surge.

We have a police scanner since my older son helps out at the first aid building. What frightened me more the night of the storm was the sound of the rescuers' voices as they battled the wind and the ocean. Rowboats that they usually use didn't stand a chance. One left his rowboat and grabbed a Jetski which was far better at saving people trapped in their second floor or attic.
I cannot stand the noise that jet skis make, but they ended up being the choice rescue device in many instances b/c the rubber rafts couldn't chance going over floating debris...nails, etc.

The rotted food stench is insane, and what's been thrown out is insanely disturbing.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt this is much comfort, but I wanted to let those still suffering from Sandy know we're thinking of you and trying to help. I just got home from a long ride on a paratransport van. There were five of us. The driver apologized, because it was leaking and the heat was broken. We all assured him we were fine and said we felt lucky compared to those still without power, etc. We said this was a good reminder to do something more to help.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Just watched a BBC documentary about Sandy. All I can say is holy shit. The fire and the flooding.... and the poor sods at FDNY and all other first responders. I mean, how the hell do you even *start* to prioritise that?

So, have you all got your power back on?

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I've been through many storms here and I never stop learning. A few little things that saw us through nine days of no heat, no gas stove, hot water, or electricity:

Buy instant pudding mix, different flavors. Uses up the milk and no need for cooking.

Get down comforters/sleeping bags and coats on sale or better yet, clearance. The coats work nicely during the day and the comforters work great at night. Down retains body heat.

Solar and/or crank radios and flashlights.

Keep bottled water in the warmest part of the house. Use to bathe with. Icy cold showers are the pits. I swear my scalp stung for hours later. Baby wipes can only do so much after the fourth day.... :e2faint:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't require restriction so much as FedGov no longer guaranteeing homes built in dangerous locations with flood insurance.

Bah. A large percentage of people don't give a rat's about flood insurance until they get hit with the need for it, at which time they get all beggy and angry about how the government won't bail them out. We have exactly that situation up here in south-central Alaska, along the flats of the Matanuska River, which meanders and erodes laterally, taking land and sometimes houses in its wake. The land is cheap, and people continue to buy property and build houses on it, and nobody stops them, or even warns them of the hazard.

The Sandy destruction is a clear example of where governmental oversight and restriction on rebuilding is needed. Otherwise, it will once again come down to your and my tax money to fix. There will be other big storms in this region. Building dwellings on sand spits and barrier islands is stupid. Re-building after such destruction is idiotic.

Wanna bet me it doesn't happen?

caw