• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Holloway Literary Agency

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Do the people behind the agency have any experience working in publishing? Have they had any successes? What is their expertise?

I've had a quick look at their website and I can't even find the names of the agents involved. That alone would be enough to stop me submitting to them.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I also found it alarming that there's no mention of who owns the agency or what kind of background they have on their website. Leads me to believe they have no experience or sales.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Googling, I found a name: Nikki Terpilowski. Here's her blog. A book review written by her for the Christian Science Monitor describes her as "a freelance writer based in New York City." That's all I could find in a quick web search.

The agency went live about a year ago, but so far it seems to have just 3 clients, none of whom appear to be published. I'd suggest a "wait and see" approach on this one.

- Victoria

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
Nick- She did say in her email that she is a new agent building her client list. Hey, I was hoping some agent would contact me after being on the board, but now that you've said that, lol, I guess that was a bit unrealistic of me. :) But I do my research on all agents and pub houses before submitting anyway...

Victoria(All)- I don't have any completed manuscripts to send (first 15pgs) to her, but I did ask her some questions about sales and foreign translation/film optioning experience. I'll post if I get any response.

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
Nikki wrote back giving some insight into her experience. She interned then worked for a year at another agency before starting her own agency due to lack of agencies in the area. She claims to have established relationships with foreign, film, and other subsidiary rights agencies and is good friends with editors at both Grand Central and Kensington. Editors from both are looking for AA/MC fiction so Nikki is actively looking for that--which is probably why she contacted me. She admits she has no sales, but says she is a go-getter.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
With all due respect to her I'd want my agent to have a lot more than a year's experience working in an agency. That's just not enough for her to know the business properly, and to understand how publishing contracts work, and so on.

Nevertheless I wish her well.

sandolita

Registered
Reaction score
Any recent dealings/info? Website lists sales to Carina and Kensington (which don't require agented subs), but also Berkley and Mira which do. Also Forever Romance which is part of Grand Central (Forever imprint requires agent, Forever Yours (ePub) doesn't).

Agency was featured in WD new agent alert and I was wondering if anyone had more info or thoughts?

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Submitted a query 1/16/2013
Request for partial 1/16/2013

Fingers crossed. Checked her out on PM and it appears she's making some sales. Hoping for good things.

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Popgun! My partial went to a full, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck to you as well!

quianaa2001

Registered
Reaction score
Query Sent 1/20
Partial request 1/20

I'm not hopeful that it will turn into a full request. Already had one agent request a partial and I never heard back from them. *sigh* I should really just toss in the towel.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Query Sent 1/20
Partial request 1/20

I'm not hopeful that it will turn into a full request. Already had one agent request a partial and I never heard back from them. *sigh* I should really just toss in the towel.

I went through 85 agent rejections before eventually going to a small press and getting my first book published. I just got my fourth book published and I still don't have an agent. Never give up!

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Query Sent 1/20
Partial request 1/20

Don't give up! You'll find the right agent for your book. Congrats on the request~

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Popgun, I received the full request 1/26/2014, so 10 days between requests.

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
I went through 85 agent rejections before eventually going to a small press and getting my first book published. I just got my fourth book published and I still don't have an agent. Never give up!

Lordy, Lordy, how I hope you're right.

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Alexaherself, that was back in 2012 when she admitted she had no sales. Since then, she's sold quite a few titles.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
There seems to be a certain difference of opinion, here?

You can check out their "deals" page here: http://hollowayliteraryagency.com/deals/

Nothing to "The Big Six," but still some decent sized publishers. I wouldn't mind getting in with Kensington, for instance. Some of them, like Kensington, accept subs from authors, HOWEVER, submissions from agents usually hold more weight and they can help you get a better deal.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You can check out their "deals" page here: http://hollowayliteraryagency.com/deals/

There are only five deals listed on that page right now. That doesn't look impressive to me.

Nothing to "The Big Six," but still some decent sized publishers. I wouldn't mind getting in with Kensington, for instance. Some of them, like Kensington, accept subs from authors, HOWEVER, submissions from agents usually hold more weight and they can help you get a better deal.

Good agents do far more than help you get a better deal.

A large part of the benefit of having an agent is the foreign and subsidiary rights they sell for you. Is there any evidence that this agency is effective in this area?

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
There are only five deals listed on that page right now. That doesn't look impressive to me.

Good agents do far more than help you get a better deal.

A large part of the benefit of having an agent is the foreign and subsidiary rights they sell for you. Is there any evidence that this agency is effective in this area?

Hmmm...good point. I'll look into that.