Saving from TextEdit to PDF question

desertduty

Registered
Reaction score
I write on a Mac, and the TextEdit has a "save in PDF" on it. Do I need to copy and paste the entire thing in a new document in order to save the original? I'm guessing if I save it as a PDF, I can send that through email to someone to read it. Also, if it is sent as a PDF, can they put editing comments in it?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write on a Mac, and the TextEdit has a "save in PDF" on it. Do I need to copy and paste the entire thing in a new document in order to save the original?
No. Saving the document as PDF will create a whole new file. No copy & paste is necessary.
I'm guessing if I save it as a PDF, I can send that through email to someone to read it.
Yup. You'd just attach it to the email.
Also, if it is sent as a PDF, can they put editing comments in it?
Looking at the recent version of Adobe Reader, somebody can put comments in the file. Preview also lets you make annotations.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In addition to what Ben said, remember, once you create the PDF file it will be separate from your working file. If you change something on your original you will need to create a new PDF.

Deleted member 42

To create an exported .pdf from TextEdti

File menu -> Export as PDF...

Choose a location to save the .pdf file.

Note as well that in general any Mac OS X application that can print can create a .pdf file.

You would act as if you were going to Print but would instead chose .PDF from the options in the Print dialog.

In some cases the difference between Export to .PDF from the File menu, vs. Print to .pdf is that the Export option will attempt to embed the fonts; this is not always the case, and may vary from app to app.

desertduty

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much! I was afraid of messing up the original document! I'm a bit Mac challenged even though I've had it for several years.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're unsure of something, it never hurts to make a copy of a working file (it's often better to rename the copy with a slightly differently name).