AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Publisher] Quirk Books

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say. Lady MacBeth's Avatar
    Anyone have updated info on Quirk's response times? I queried them a month ago and so far nothing.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady MacBeth View Post
    Anyone have updated info on Quirk's response times? I queried them a month ago and so far nothing.
    Not sure if you're still checking for them, but if anyone wants to know, it took about three weeks for them to get back to me with a partial request.
    It's never too late to be who you might have been - George Eliot

Thanks for the info. I never did receive a response from them.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady MacBeth View Post
    Thanks for the info. I never did receive a response from them.
    I think they respond to every query (with a rejection or a request). You should try querying them again.
    Last edited by BlossomQueen; 07-23-2016 at 09:43 AM.
    It's never too late to be who you might have been - George Eliot

They haven't responded to my queries either. I did two and still nothing. One December of last year and another 6 months later. Maybe that was a bad idea, but I figured the first one was a rejected non response.

I queried them on June 5. Still no response.
    Author of high-octane sci-fi, fantasy and horror!

www.tobytatestories.com Amazon

I've queried them twice. No response to either.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin WDusty's Avatar
    Queried back in January. No response.

Frankly, I never bought into the "we don't have time to respond to all queries" story. If you have time to open an email and have time to read the query, then I think you can manage the ordeal of clicking the Reply button and typing--or copy-pasting-- "Thank you for submitting to [us]. After reviewing your submission, we've decided your material does not match our current needs. We wish you the best going forward. Regards, blah blah blah."

All about that action, boss. ElaineA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WDusty View Post

Frankly, I never bought into the "we don't have time to respond to all queries" story. If you have time to open an email and have time to read the query, then I think you can manage the ordeal of clicking the Reply button and typing--or copy-pasting-- "Thank you for submitting to [us]. After reviewing your submission, we've decided your material does not match our current needs. We wish you the best going forward. Regards, blah blah blah."
    I used to feel the same way, and it does sound simple (and the professional thing to do). Until you read the responses agents and pubs get to rejections. Some of them are downright scary. The ease of the reply button goes both ways.
    I have two Me's now

The IRL me:

Random tweety things @outtamylaine

And this other me:
    reneedominick.com and @Renee_Dominick on Twitter
    Also, this me is a contributor to kINKED, an Erotic Romance Anthology

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin WDusty's Avatar
    Still, as you said, it's their professional responsibility.

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon Saskatoonistan's Avatar
    FWIW, Paul Stevens was an editor at Quirk Books and my agent subbed a project to him last year. We heard nothing back for quite a while and my agent has since learned that Paul is no longer an editor and is now an agent himself at Donald Maas.

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!! AGENTED AGAIN February 2015! WOOT! WOOT!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books

No response from them. Ever.

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WDusty View Post

And for everyone who angsts over the fact agents/editors didn't send at least a form response, there are hundreds of other folks getting pissed because they only got a form response and "why can't they manage at least one sentence that's indicates they actually read my query/submission package?" It's pretty much no-win for agents/editors in that regard.
    _________
    A.G.C.

Touch: A Trilogy - AVAILABLE NOW!
    "The 'Touch' trilogy is a masterclass in world-building, tells a fascinating story with economy and intelligence, and does so with fine, pared-down prose." - Eric Brown, author of The Fall of Tartarus

"I loved this novella series. Brooding, earthy, whispering to us with a delicious mood of creeping dread while filling the heart with a pure sense of wonder." - Charles de Lint, author of The Onion Girl

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

It's frustrating as hell, I know. But it can be downright scary on the agent's or editor's side, too. I get tired of the no-response crowd, and I've helped out in an agency years ago. The only thing that grounds me now is to mentally close out the query at the end of five months. Interested agents will usually respond much sooner. If they respond much later, I have to wonder about their workload, organizational skills...and hope their current clients are getting the diligence that querying authors do not. It's harder to walk away from what you might consider a 'dream agent', until you realize that they can't be *your* dream agent if they didn't care about the query, the partial, or the full.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    It's frustrating as hell, I know. But it can be downright scary on the agent's or editor's side, too. I get tired of the no-response crowd, and I've helped out in an agency years ago. The only thing that grounds me now is to mentally close out the query at the end of five months. Interested agents will usually respond much sooner. If they respond much later, I have to wonder about their workload, organizational skills...and hope their current clients are getting the diligence that querying authors do not. It's harder to walk away from what you might consider a 'dream agent', until you realize that they can't be *your* dream agent if they didn't care about the query, the partial, or the full.
    You make some good points. I have no issue with no response to a query or even a partial, but I do get frustrated when agents do not respond to a full. How long do you give it before you mark it a CNR?

I usually don't, but check-in every three months to see if they are still considering.

practical experience, FTW kelliewallace's Avatar
    Just queried my PR to them. Ive been submitting to them for years. Never heard back either.
    http://kelliewallacebooks.com
    When our Worlds Collide - Limitless Publishing 2017

I just checked my sub archives and I have five rejections from Quirk Books, and they were all form types. Never any comments from them but they did respond every time.

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar
    I queried my UF to Blair on 9/26/16 and received form rejection on 10/4/16.
    DRAGONFLY NIGHTMARE: YA Romantic Suspense - Available Now!
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Suspense - (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

figuring it all out
    Has anyone ever submitted to Quirk Books via the agent route and received no response or a rejection? And, if so, what were the response times like?
    Last edited by writera; 11-09-2017 at 11:42 PM.

figuring it all out
    Been on sub with them for six months, no response.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123