• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Quirk Books

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Well ironically after sending it a second time after the first one nine months ago, I got an R today. So that's the end of that.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, okay. When I was submitting last I was caught between them changing editors, I think that's what caused the delay (perhaps for you too.)

I think her name was Jennifer Adams (or something like that) that left and went somewhere else and changed the YA staff a bit.

JoshSpaceCole

Mostly I just avoid real life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joshua-cole.com
Quirk's "Looking For Love" Contest

Just out of curiosity, did anybody send something out to Quirk Books for their "Looking for Love" Contest? I didn't feel like it was very well publicized, but the grand prize is a $10,000 publishing contract.

I heard about it in June, and, just to see if I could, sat down to bang out a novel for it. I could, so that was exciting. I packed it up in this creepy yellow envelope that had "Looking for Love" scrawled on it in my runic handwriting, and I bet there were tons of equally odd-looking envelopes flowing into Quirk's offices.

Was yours one of them? Did you write just for the contest, or did you have something on hand? Either way, good luck!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's already a thread over at Bewares, Recommendations and Background Checks about this publisher and the contest: <snipped>

I expect a moderator will be along shortly to meld this thread with that one. Hold onto your hat...

Last edited by a moderator:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I've asked a supermod to merge this with that (I can't since BR&BC isn't my room), but it's the weekend, so folks are out doing weekend things. :)

Hang tight.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Received a full request after a PitMad request from Blair Thornburgh

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I received an R&R from Blair Thornburgh. I'm feeling pretty enthusiastic about the phone call with her, and her guidance for the revisions was excellent and never went against my "vision" for the novel. She's very thorough, and I like knowing what exactly an agent or editor has in mind when they ask for revisions. It's important to know that your vision and the editor/agent's vision of the novel click. I feel like ours did. :D

oryfan

Registered
Reaction score
Getting ready to send off a query to them. For anyone who already has, do they prefer it attached or in the body or in the body of the email?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Getting ready to send off a query to them. For anyone who already has, do they prefer it attached or in the body or in the body of the email?

Queries and all accompanying materials almost always are in the body of the e-mail, unless the agent or publisher specifies otherwise. Their submission guidelines are here: http://quirkbooks.com/page/submissions

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sent off my revised novel to Blair yesterday. Fingers crossed.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Sent in the first chapter of Arcana for a looksee about a month ago. Haven't heard back yet--fingers crossed--and if it's a no, onwards!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, sorry, that was actually two revisions ago, and I was since rejected ;)

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query off to Jason a couple of days ago. No word yet, so I am hoping that is a good thing ;)