The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Publisher] Quirk Books

[Publisher] Quirk Books

I didn't see this one on the AW list. It's fairly new and listed in my Book Markets for Children's Writers 2013. I'm not sure if they pay advances or not. They look pretty interesting though.

Here's the link to their submissions page: http://quirkbooks.com/page/submissions
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

I own a TPB copy of one of Quirk's books, Night of the Living Trekkies (which is quite good), so that's one plus right there. I also recognize a few other of their titles.
    Visit my website!

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. kaitie's Avatar
    I've got a couple of their books, but I don't know anything else about the company. I'm curious now, though. I write quirky. Maybe not quirky enough for them, but quirky.

Yes, I've even seen "Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children" by: Ransom Riggs in Target and Walmart. I think it's on the best seller's list too. They look promising.

I submitted back in July and nudged them with an update and they got back to me right away and said they're still reviewing it. So we'll see.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by kaitie View Post
    I've got a couple of their books, but I don't know anything else about the company. I'm curious now, though. I write quirky. Maybe not quirky enough for them, but quirky.
    It's worth a shot, Kaitie. Good luck with it if you do. They have a wide range of books from fiction to non-fiction to cookbooks even.

Twitter

Inconsequential. Also: short. TumbleHome's Avatar
    Great publisher. I know they've been approaching established authors for new material, not sure how they are on open submissions, though.

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
    I didn't see this one on the AW list. It's fairly new and listed in my Book Markets for Children's Writers 2013. I'm not sure if they pay advances or not. They look pretty interesting though.

Here's the link to their submissions page: http://quirkbooks.com/page/submissions
    They seem to publish a lot of non fic stuff - and their submission page seems to back this up too - they talk a lot about 'ideas' for 'projects' rather than novels.

That said, they've published a pretty impressive list of fiction - including The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. That should give you an idea of the sort of thing they like.

All in all it seems to be a small but pretty clued in publisher with a number of huge sellers.

They do appear to have quite good distribution - I know that I've seen their books in stores here.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
    Yes, I've even seen "Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children" by: Ransom Riggs in Target and Walmart. I think it's on the best seller's list too. They look promising.
    It's a brilliant book. A little odd, but in a good way.
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

They have several "nice deals" listed on PM.
    Running On Empty available now.

The Right Hand Rule
    available now.
    My website

I just got a full request from them. Will update when I hear back (thanks for posting about them, Undercover!)
    YA psychological thriller--repped and revising.

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.

No problem Hester, good luck on it.

Just out of curiosity, what was the time between query to request? I nudged about my query since I liked them so much and they said it's still under consideration. That was about a month ago.

Twitter

Hi Undercover! I heard back the same day I queried--

Maybe try one more nudge to make sure your query didn't fall through the cracks? Hope you hear back soon!

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.

Same day queried? Then I'm assuming they take email subs? I thought it was only hard-mail submissions. Can somebody give me the email sub link? I couldn't find it.

Thanks mucho!

tri

If your project is about cooking, technology, politics, travel, dating, relationships, beer and wine, family, travel, or hillbilly music, send it to Margaret McGuire (margaret at quirkbooks.com).

If your project involves fiction (adult, YA, or middle grade), humor, pop culture, history, sports, literature, sex, monsters, or “guy stuff,” send it to Jason Rekulak (jason at quirkbooks.com).

Here's more on who's who and what they like: http://quirkbooks.com/page/whos-who

It's funny, I submitted months ago to Jennifer Adams but I don't see her listed anywhere anymore. I think I'm going to nudge again, I think Jason this time.

Twitter

Thanks, guys. I popped on this one just out of curiosity, and the fact that they don't look too bad bad. I'll report back.

practical experience, FTW kelliewallace's Avatar
    I submitted to them twice and twice my novels were rejected. Recognise their books though.
    http://kelliewallacebooks.com
    When our Worlds Collide - Limitless Publishing 2017

Agent, author, human.
    Queried them today for a fantasy...we shall see...
    *opinions are my own*

Find more about me at:

My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Quirk Books

Hi, new to the forum here and I did look at other threads to see if anyone has had experience with this publisher, and couldn't find much. I was wondering if anyone here has worked with them and what they thought. If you know of someone who has, did they tell you anything about their experience. Looking for just a bit of insight. Thanks!

They've had my 3 chapters from 11-28-2012, so it's still a bit early for a response.

tri

I nudged on mine (cause I'm a nudger) and nothing. I think they are one of those publishers that if you don't hear from them for months and months and months, then it's probably a pass.

I also tried getting info on them on their contact page and no word from them on that either.

But I do know they are very legit and have books on shelves like Target and Kmart.

Twitter

A cat may not look at a king kellion92's Avatar
    They are not new -- a friend of mine published a nonfiction/novelty book with them in 2004.

Just the facts, please
    Queried on 5/28/12, no reply yet. Guessing that's a no.

I subbed a full to them on 11/28--all crossables crossed!

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.

Good Luck Hester!!! Let us know how it goes!

Twitter

Thank you so much, Undercover!

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.

Has anyone heard any more news on this publisher? I think my submission did fall through the cracks. I sent to Jennifer Adams and now she's left, but I noticed they have a new person handling YA fiction Blair Thornburgh, so I submitted again hoping I will hear something, even if it is a rejection. I first submitted nine months ago and nothing. Then that editor change, I just have a feeling that they never got it.

I just wanted to alert everyone else too that subbed around the same time. Perhaps re-submitting (if you haven't heard anything) would be a good idea if you submitted to Jennifer in the beginning.

Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast