Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Any QUILTBAG folks writing straight fiction?

Any QUILTBAG folks writing straight fiction?

So, rather to my surprise, I find myself writing romance... heterosexual romance. Kinky heterosexual romance, but still. My characters, they are straight. Okay, one of them is bi, but this plays very little part in the story.

In part I'm doing this because it's more marketable, but also... I don't know. These were the characters I wanted to write about. But I feel like I'm being disloyal, somehow.

Anyone else in a similar position?

can totally spell Brobdinrgnagrian buzhidao's Avatar
    It would be insanely unrealistic if all my characters were asexual...

I'm human, but most of my characters (so far) aren't.
    I'm a woman, but some of my characters aren't.
    I'm not a fairy who speaks only in fart noises, but, well, you get the picture, yeah?

A bit of a wallflower absitinvidia's Avatar
    Yes, of course.

Stealing your twiglets. Anninyn's Avatar
    Yep! I'm bi, and not all my characters are. While I want (and try to write) more diversity in fiction, the characters are just who they are, sometimes.

waxing digital artistic Gale Haut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sussurus View Post
    These were the characters I wanted to write about.
    Then that's what you should be doing. It would be disloyal not to write about them.

Thanks, folks.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Yep.

Don't let yourself get browbeaten by the "you're being disloyal to the community" crowd. Write what you want, and plan your career to suit yourself.

Thanks. But just to be clear, this is just my internal wibbling, not anything I'm hearing from anyone else.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I write both, I have never worried about it. It depends to me on the story, not who I am wanting to sell to.

Attack me with everything you have. Kim Fierce's Avatar
    Yeah, right now I'm on a gay trend, but I didn't start off writing gay characters at all, so I say just go with where your characters and stories take you!
    Watch No Turning Back book trailer

My Web Site
    Novels/Short stories:
    No Turning Back
    Amelia's Revolution
    Two-Spirit's Red Road
    My Secret Pain
    The Divide, Book 1: Uprising

Nadine's Voyage--2-14!!
    The Divide, Book 2: Unity--3-14!!
    Strong Arrow's Warpath--4-14!!
    Revolt of the Perfectly Free, paperback short story collection--6-14!!

figuring it all out
    Two of my main characters in my major projects are straight. One isn't. I did consider at one point going into writing straight-up to the lesbian romantic fiction market, but whatever ideas I got for that I ended up thinking "wow, that would make a great fantasy novel...". So yeah, that didn't work out

(tongue in cheek)

To my shock and horror, it looks like two of the opposite-sex characters in my story could end up together. I'm not sure what I should do. Do you think many publishers would accept an opposite-sex couple? Maybe I should change one of their genders so it's more likely to be accepted? Will everybody think I'm straight or something if they read it?

(end of tongue in cheek)

Yep, looks like I got a straight romance coming up in my book.

(EDIT: Hopefully everyone has seen enough of the reverse to get the joke. And it was meant light-heartedly and humorously, not critically.)
    I can never remember to update this signature.

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders Corinne Duyvis's Avatar
    Yup. The last two books I wrote (including the one in my sig): queer romance. I haven't decided on my next book yet, but I think most of the ones I'm considering feature straight+cis protags. There's not necessarily a romance involved, though, and I think I'm incapable of writing a book without at least one significant queer character, even if they're not a main character.

That said, I do try to make an effort to feature underrepresented protags. Not because it's my Duty as a Queer/Disabled Person *salute*, but because clearly, not enough other people are doing it, and the world needs it, and because it makes my books more realistic.
    Website
    Twitter
    Disability in Kidlit

"Original and compelling; a stunning debut." —Kirkus ★
    "Duyvis makes ingenious use of a fascinating premise." —PW ★
    "[Its] true strength ... is in its positive portrayal of LGBT issues." —SLJ ★
    "[S]ubtle, nuanced examinations of power dynamics and privilege." —BCCB ★

OTHERBOUND—now out!

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    (tongue in cheek)

To my shock and horror, it looks like two of the opposite-sex characters in my story could end up together. I'm not sure what I should do. Do you think many publishers would accept an opposite-sex couple? Maybe I should change one of their genders so it's more likely to be accepted? Will everybody think I'm straight or something if they read it?

(end of tongue in cheek)

This made me smile. Definitely get it.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

here and there again fadeaccompli's Avatar
    Heh. I'm bi, but married to an opposite sex partner. I get enough het in my own life! So there are sometimes het subplots in my books, but more often if I'm writing anything het with the protagonist it's because they can swap genders or something entertaining like that.

J'decline l'honneur d'être un angel K. Trian's Avatar
    It's nice when a book sometimes almost writes itself
    Good luck with your story, and I hope you'll have fun writing it!
    The female half of a writing outfit known as T. K. Trian. We write alone together. Currently working on Solus - The Darkness of Space: a sci-fi adventure.

Our tactical center on the interwebz can be found and followed here: http://tktrian.wordpress.com/

Sci-fi -- fantasy -- horror

I'm a bi female and more attracted to women. I write erotica, and for reasons I won't try to explain, I don't like reading and writing about women having sex, regardless of the partner's sex. I love writing about kinky gay/bi men. For a story based on real events involving three women, I changed two of them to men. I had to change them back to submit it to a lesbian anthology.

I've written straight characters, but in my limited writing time, I don't do much of it. Reading and writing LBGT characters is a way for me to escape from the non-LGBT (and sometimes anti-LGBT) community I'm now living in.
    “Coming of Age” in Say Please: Lesbian BDSM Erotica
    Make Mine to Go -- New release planned for September
    “A Port in the Storm” -- in Best Gay Erotica 2014
    "Consequences" -- forthcoming in Blush
    Visit my website for details - Adults Only

I'm straight and just signed a contract for a book with lesbian/transgender overtones. Does that count for anything?

To me, gay or straight or bi matters little. If I can like the character then it really doesn't matter what his/her sexuality is or what race he/she is. Good is good, period.

practical experience, FTW KSavoie's Avatar
    I am currently writing a straight romance, although I'm gay. However, my novel does have a lesbian couple in it.
    New day, new blog.
    kevinwritesbooks.wordpress.com

Or check out my Twitter. I say funny stuff sometimes!
    Here's my twitter!

PURSUIT (YA Urban Fantasy) -- Trunked
    THE OTHER SIDE OF HAPPY (YA LGBT Contemporary) -- Revision Round 4
    (YA LGBT Speculative Fiction) -- 50k/65k
    (YA Sci-Fi) -- Brainstorming

Fuelled by tea and crumpets. Anna_Hedley's Avatar
    Yes. I'm bi and I write gay, lesbian and het erotica. My first published short story (the one in my sig) is het erotica, my first book coming out in June is gay romance and I'm working on a lesbian steampunk novella.