When is a custom sample okay?

scorpiodragon

Black belt in awesome
Registered
Reaction score
As a rule I never apply for jobs that ask for fresh writing samples, but recently I saw an ad for a major jewelry chains website looking for someone to write product descriptions. As part of the application process they asked that candidates write a description for a ring on their site. The ring in question already has a description and is on sale. The company is well established and has stores across the country.

This ad got me thinking about possible cases where there could be an exception to this rule, like whether a company is well-established or not.

Has anyone had a case where they felt it was okay to do a fresh writing sample for a job and if so what about the job convinced you?

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I would consider that a legit reason, where they're looking for really niche skills.

I did something similar once, years ago, when applying for a job writing patterns for a quilt magazine (which I did get, and enjoyed for a few years before moving on).

They needed to be sure I could write to their house style, which was extremely specific, and that I could do the necessary math (for calculating fabric yardage), and I could describe physical actions (placing fabric pieces in certain orientations) in words instead of images, which is a lot harder than you might think.

MoneyMakinMama

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I don't mind providing a fresh sample...but I also charge for them. ;)

I'll provide up to 250 words at no cost, but more than that will require a fee. Granted, I offer a discounted rate for special samples, but I still require payment upfront. Large, established company or not, I have certain business principles that I adhere to and I let the client know this upfront. So far, it hasn't been an issue.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I'd also consider the time. What you have described sounds perfectly reasonable. It wouldn't take me hours of research to do that. In fact, if it were a complete scam to get me to write copy, I'd not be too disappointed in that I only spent 15 minutes on it.

I do love the idea of a word limit with a stated cost beyond that, as MoneyMakinMama mentioned.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
For a fresh sample of a product that is already established, I see no harm as they are trying to gauge your talent and eye for detail.

But a sample for a product that has not hit the shelves or come out yet...nope. To much temptation there to use without paying...

scorpiodragon

Black belt in awesome
Registered
Reaction score
I'd also consider the time. What you have described sounds perfectly reasonable. It wouldn't take me hours of research to do that. In fact, if it were a complete scam to get me to write copy, I'd not be too disappointed in that I only spent 15 minutes on it.

For a fresh sample of a product that is already established, I see no harm as they are trying to gauge your talent and eye for detail.

This is what I was thinking too. It's not a labor-intensive exercise and its for an already marketed product.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I think it makes a difference if you are going after a staff job or a freelance gig. Almost every staff job I have applied to required a tryout story. It is a very common practice in newspapers and magazines. And most of them did pay to run the story. There is so much competition for staff writing jobs and plenty of people willing to write for them as part of the application process that if you don't do it, you won't get the job.