Why is it that fantasy is widely discredited?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
notsosilentsister.tumblr.com
A

Back on topic... I know many people - particularly women, for some reason* - automatically avoid anything with speculative elements, be they fantasy, SF, supernatural, superhero, or whatever. They'll happily read unrealistic stories and escapist stuff, but they want those things to be ostensibly set in their own back yard and populated with people they might know or could imagine being. Maybe that's it - it's a failure of their imagination to place themselves in any kind of non-real world. Then again, failure is a strong word for a matter of taste.

Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, A Song of Ice and Fire. Lots of speculative elements. Large female readership.

Hell, the entire genre of urban fantasy/paranormal romance seems to me heavily geared towards a female audience.

(If we talk about "lack of imagination" we should rather discuss that strange phenomenon that anyone who claims to never read any fiction at all is so much likelier to be male rather than female...)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I don't think women in general shy away from fiction with speculative elements. Many of the people in my fantasy writing groups, and the majority of people at the workshop I attended last summer, are women. And look at all the romances set in very fanciful historic or speculative environments.

I think there's just a human tendency to knock things we don't care for, and since many of us were taught (by our high school and college English teachers) that the only "worthy" reads are the classics, or modern works that deal with "realistic" scenarios, it's easy to roll one's eyes at another person's taste in genre fiction. I think people who like romances, spy thrillers and even mysteries get this too. People can be very dismissive in other peoples' taste in music too.

I would argue that the recent success of fantasy and its emergence into mainstream pop culture may be why some people curl their lip at it. There's a very human tendency to knock something down if you feel like everyone is suddenly into something you don't "get."

On a personal level, I have run into more fantasy fans (especially younger ones) in recent years, and they definitely don't all fit the old stereotypes of fantasy buffs. I was talking to a couple of my students the other day and writing came up. When they asked what sort of stories I write, I said fantasy, and they both said they loved those kinds of books. One was male and one was female. Actually, a huge number of the people I've met through fantasy writing groups and the workshop I attended last summer are women.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
sohalt, I hope you read the part of my post where I said I didn't think there was a relationship between the tastes of the people I happen to know and EVERYONE IN THE WHOLE WORLD EVER.

I would agree that there is no reason to believe women in general dislike speculative fiction.

Adhevan

Registered
Reaction score
Many may disagree with such a statement, but frankly in my experience it is true. When I tell people I write fantasy they gave me a look of... Disdain? Yes, that is the only word for it. I tell them my ideas and they smirk, while writing their silly romance novels and autobiographies.

Why do people feel this way? Fantasy is a different world. A different dimension. It is amazing and powerful. I don't know what I would do without it.

As a wise southerner once said to me, "That's why they make chocolate ice cream, because not everyone likes vanilla."

CChampeau

The ever absent-minded
Registered
Reaction score
I'm underwhelmed by any academic with genre issues, but in English and literature affiliated programs, it's a sign of poor scholarly habits and insufficient grounding in literary history.

So true.

...Now I want to address something bothering me here. A lot of people seem to like to imagine that there is no stigma whatsoever about the scifi and fantasy genre(s) in the literary world. In reality, there is. It's going away, and rather quickly, but the influence of the past does not simply disappear.

This quote from classic children's author Michael Ende is relevant:
"One may enter the literary parlor via just about any door, be it the prison door, the madhouse door, or the brothel door. There is but one door one may not enter it through, which is the child room door. The critics will never forgive you such. The great Rudyard Kipling is one of a number of people to have suffered from this. I keep wondering to myself what this peculiar contempt towards anything related to childhood is all about."

Fantasy, consisting of made-up worlds and fairy stories, has a connection with children in the public mind. It is seen as more adult to read the biographies of political figures and newspapers than fantastic adventures. That is usually so. It is seen as more adult to read "literary novels". That need not be so; there are many fantasy works more "important" than many or even most literary novels.

I think Michael Ende is touching on the heart of why many people find fantasy contemptible as adults. It's for the same reason my dad refuses to watch cartoons, even if it's Princess Mononoke.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.