Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: eBay / Half.com

practical experience, FTW Fenika's Avatar

eBay / Half.com

I'm prolly far more sour about this than I should be. I initially bought two books (one of them an audiobook), from a seller named 'cobble2' on half.com. The items never shipped, so I emailed them, asking if they really had not shipped and when they might go out.

No answer.

I go back later, and see a new seller listed beside my books (at this point I also find out 'cobble2' apparently does not exist). Fine. I double check my books have not shipped, and I email them.

Meanwhile I check ebay's (who owns half) policies. You have 60 days to file a claim, and can only make so many claims ever. Yay? I've been trying to build up my library, so this is bad news.

I wait. No answer to my email.

Great. I file a claim and fortunately hear back from ebay much faster than their 30 day claim response. I'll be getting a refund in 7 days or less.

So, this new seller had good ratings. I thought they would have replied to my email. So I check them out:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ab=AllFeedback

Looks like I'm not alone with this problem. And they've been pulling this crap for nearly a year.

I'll be looking at every seller from now on, not just that pretty star and percent by their name.

(As an aside, maybe this will teach me to not support AWers by buying new books. I have her first on my shelf, purchased new! I may be donating it to my local library, who has none of her books.) (If you are wondering who I am talking about, see the link.)

Anyone else have bad experiences? I also use bookfinder.com and I am much more wary now. Luckily this was a small purchase and I'm getting a refund, but I need several textbooks that are over $75 or even $100 used.

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

This guy http://www.freewebs.com/buybookssafelyonline/ is coloured all-caps shouty, and assumes that you are buying used textbooks off ABE, but has some good points to consider.
    The one that makes most sense to me is to contact the seller before you send any money, and see how they respond. If they don't, or can't answer a simple question about the text's edition, or where it's coming from, beware. Also, order textbooks well before the course begins.

Thanks Frimble. That's some excellent advice.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Fenika, are you suggesting that the dodgy eBayer is an AW member, or that you were buying books by an AW member from this eBayer? I'm confused.

Sorry! I was trying to buy an AWer's books. I know nothing about the seller beyond that link.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!