Need some quick help on Agent's request

Richard Paolinelli

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpaolinelli.com
An agent e-mailed me a few minutes ago asking for the first 20-30 pages of my novel as a hard copy printout to be snail mailed in. I have a very high quality printer but was wondering what type of paper to use?

Just regular run-of-the-mill printer paper or something a little heavier?

Bright white, a little off-white? Does it matter?

Any advice will be appreciated and thanks in advance in case I forget to do so later.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They want regular old printer paper, submission format, ending at a natural stopping place.

Congratulations for piquing the agent's interest!

Maryn, wishing you luck

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I'd think regular paper is just fine.

It's what's ON the paper that's important. Don't go colorful, don't sprinkle perfume on it - just make sure you can read it clearly and make it look as professional as possible.

Label each page as 1/** and use your last name - MS Word does a header/footer that'll help with this. In case a page slips out he'll be able to know where it is and who it came from.

jmo, of course - don't forget all the pertinent info on the first page, name addy etc. with word count and all that.

Good luck!

NicolaD

This will all make sense tomorrow
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a hard and fast rule on synopsis lengths, I've seen requests anywhere from a couple of paragraphs to five pages plus. Guess it also depends on the length of the novel and how many subplots there are, but for yours I'd suggest maybe 1-2 pages.

GeekTells

Tick tock...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geektells.com
The Synopsis is the bane of our existence as writers. My research has found that most agents want 1-2 pages. Some will accept 3. A few want 5, and the outlier is 10. I get the feeling that 10 pages is pretty darned old-school, but I can't prove that.

Since your agent specified a "detailed synopsis," my gut instinct is that he wants 3-5 pages. Look on the agency's site for any clues.

If you're freaked out about getting it right, feel free to ask for his preference.

I hope that helps, and congrats on the interest! It sounds promising. :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
What they said (plain paper, 3-5 pages for a detailed synopsis) and congratulations!

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Just jumping in to say ditto - 20lb white printer/copy paper, about 3 pg synopsis, and don't forget the header with last name, book title and page #s.

And most of all - CONGRATS on the partial request! :D

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Years ago I remember sweating over the brightness of the paper and the weight. Now it really doesn't matter. The heavier the paper, the more it costs to mail, so just go with any printer paper you have, as long as it's white (which most are anyway).

Synopsis--one to three pages, single spaced. Double space between paragraphs. (I just had an editor ask for a single page synopsis. I've had agents ask for two to three page synopsis.)

Best of luck!

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
Congrats on the request!!

Ditto what everyone has said.

Regular printer paper is fine. Standard white. Standard submission format.

A synopsis of 3-5 double-spaced pages is the sweet spot. (A synopsis for a manuscript contest can sometimes go up to 15 pages, but anything over 5-6 is probably more than an agent wants or needs at this stage.)

Good luck!!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't double-space synopses, for whatever that's worth.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Oh wow--agents still request paper synopsis and manuscript submissions? That'll eat through some printer cartridges.

A nice problem to have, though. Congrats on the partial request and good luck with the synopsis! I wish I could give you some advice there, but I'm still confused about what the things entail as well.

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
Oh wow--agents still request paper synopsis and manuscript submissions? That'll eat through some printer cartridges.

A nice problem to have, though. Congrats on the partial request and good luck with the synopsis! I wish I could give you some advice there, but I'm still confused about what the things entail as well.

Paper requests are increasingly rare. For example, out of 13 requests (either partial or full) I received, one wanted it in paper form. The rest asked for emailed files. But I also limited my list to agents who accepted email queries...there are many who don't and still want paper queries; I don't know if those "paper query" agents request more material in paper form.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Some still do. It'll probably be a thing of the past within five years. Either way, it's a good idea to have a synopsis ready after you've polished your ms. and are about to query.

Helen Zimmermann

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone.

One last question:

He is also asking for a detailed synopsis.

How detailed should I get? Is there a min/max number of pages?

He wants to get a sense of your writing style (hence the 20-30 page request) and he wants a sense of the arc of the whole story (hence the synopsis request). The quicker you can effectively reveal the arc of the story, the better! Good luck!