The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: united p.c. publisher / novum publishing GmbH

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar

united p.c. publisher / novum publishing GmbH

Ads for this company have been following me round the internet for a couple of days now so I thought I'd have a closer look:

http://uk.united-pc.eu/united-pc-pub...t-no-cost.html

The ESL phraseology is due to the fact that upc is based in Austria and associated with another Austrian publisher, Vindobona Verlag.

We believe that any good manuscript should be published as a book, to do this we have developed a publishing concept by which any author can publish books free-of-charge, quickly and easily in our publishing house! In addition you will become a member of the united publishing club with its many benefits, Classic membership is also free-of-charge!
    Actually it doesn't matter if your manuscript is good or not:

As a publishing house for all authors, we review each submitted manuscript and if there are no legal reservations, we send you a publishing contract in which we list our comprehensive publishing services.
    Just avoid libel, hate speech and plagiarism and you too can be published!

You need no contacts, money, nothing! We guarantee free-of-charge publication with ISBN, sales through book sellers and online shops such as amazon etc. You will receive royalties and discounts from the 1st book! Hard to believe? Simply give us a try at no risk!
    No, the risk is all upc's:

No author must pay us for publishing their book. We at united p.c. publisher publish each book at our own risk! Guaranteed and free-of-charge!

Below you will find a selection of the benefits of cost-free publishing with united p.c. publisher:
    • Personal author consultations
    • Issue of a unique, global ISBN number
    • Entry into the Index of Deliverable Books
    • Entry into the Library
    • EAN Barcode with sales price on the back cover of the book
    • Approval of the inside page design and jacket design
    • Guidelines for authors with helpful tips for readings and dealing with the media and book sellers.
    • Presentation and listing on the home page of the publishing house
    • Listing on hundreds of other online shops such as amazon etc.
    • Private buyers, book sellers, wholesalers and distributors can order from the publishing house by telephone, email, post and fax
    • Listing on the directories of book wholesalers in Great Britain
    • The publishing house designs comprehensive publicity materials for the work such as book marks, order forms, flyers, posters, order slips ...
    • The publishing house provides press releases to journalists
    • The publishing house sends review copies – if demanded – to the media in Great Britain
    • The author may order books from the publisher in any amounts for the duration of the publishing contract
    • Club membership with all the benefits which go with it
    • Royalties and discounts from the 1st book sold!
    Hang on a minute...who pays for those book marks, flyers and posters? Does the word 'discounts' apply to the books the author will have to buy because booksellers won't touch overpriced POD books with a bargepole? As for jacket design, the upc house style makes everything in their catalogue look like a textbook.

Although upc claims to have 20 years of experience and a club membership of 1500, there are only six books on the site. There's no 'look inside' feature on Amazon so I have no idea if the title of Dennis Kott's Green. Welcome to Heartbreake is a spelling mistake or not, and at £15.70 for 238 pages I doubt if anyone will want to find out. Mind you, it's still better value than Sarah-Anna Linton's Fuck this Superficiality! (£11.75 for 46 pages).

In short, upc is doing nothing for authors they couldn't do for themselves with CreateSpace or Lulu.
    Last edited by aliceshortcake; 10-14-2012 at 02:50 PM.

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    the books are very overpriced - double what you would pay for the same length of book elsewhere.

In addition the covers are horrible - very cheap looking.
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    "Club"?
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Quote Originally Posted by BenPanced View Post
    "Club"?
    Yes, I suspect it's the "I Was Taken in by a Thinly-Disguised Vanity Press" Club.
    Last edited by aliceshortcake; 10-15-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aliceshortcake View Post
    Yes, I suspect it's the "I Was Taken in by a Thinly-Disguised Vanity Press" Club.
    This sounds like a membership to ColumbiaHouse. No, seriously.
    "Change is not always growth, but growth is often rooted in change." - Drizzt Do'Urden

WIP
    A History of Immortality...final draft focusing this into Nano instead
    Ravenhead...NaNoWriMo project scratch that...backburned for now

http://numb-ass.blogspot.com/

How very odd. None of united p.c.'s authors have German-sounding names and the titles are all in English, yet the books themselves are in German.

The 'club' is equally strange. Gold membership (£7.80 per month) entitles the author to five book publications a year and a 5% discount on club books. Platinum members (£19.60 per month) get ten book publications a year and

one book fair presentation of your choice per year...
    in either London or Frankfurt:

notice of attendance at the requested book fair must be given at least 5 months prior to the start of the fair.

http://uk.united-pc.eu/club/the-club.html
    Everyone benefits from the Partner Program ("author advertises author"), which sounds like a case of the blind leading the blind.

deep blue electric angel Susan Anwin's Avatar

United P. C. Publisher

Anyone knows anything about this publisher?

http://uk.united-pc.eu/publisher/sub...nuscripts.html

Thanks in advance

Susan, there's already a thread here: <snipped>
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 10-31-2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: threads merged, thanks!

Disclaimer: opinions below come solely from a visit to the website.

The website is aimed at authors. If you're looking for a trade/commercial publisher, that's a very bad sign. If you're looking for a vanity publisher, it's par for the course. Many people have reported being better off self-publishing rather than going with a "publishing services" company. Very few have reported being better off with either rather than with a big-six* or well-established smaller trade publisher.

And that one photo of the lady with the rictus grin and improbable eyelashes--actually scary .

*depending on the status of the Random Penguin merger, that should perhaps be "big-five"

ETA: are we about to go on a magic mod-carpet ride to the existing thread? Hanging on to my hat!
    Last edited by DreamWeaver; 10-30-2012 at 11:30 PM.
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
    The website is aimed at authors. If you're looking for a trade/commercial publisher, that's a very bad sign.
    I've seen that a couple of times, so I looked at a big-however-many publisher's site (Simon and Schuster, because a friend works there, though she has this week off) and ... the contrast jumps out at you.
    "Everybody must get stoned" --Medusa

banned as an incurable tosspot

United PC Publishers - Questions pls on royalties and discounts

http://uk.united-pc.eu/publisher/the...o-you.html?L=3

Last sentence states: royalties and discounts from the first book sold.

1. What does this mean? Does it mean the author ONLY receives 100% income (royalties) from the sale of his/her first book???

2. What is this "discount" they are talking about? Is it that they pay for the difference of the loss gone into discount?

They are using confusing language!

Thanks in advance for your clarified and sensible replies. UK.
    Last edited by Rainbow 2000; 12-04-2012 at 02:56 AM. Reason: title change

God knows what they're on about. Their books are ludicrously overpriced and have no distribution, so I suspect that the only people who'll buy copies are the authors' family and friends. Oh, and the authors themselves:

How much are copies for the author?
    You can order books minus your discount – as contracted – from the publisher at any time. When ordering at least 100 copies – prior to the official book release – you get a unique special discount of 40%.
    These people really, really need a native English speaker to re-write the website:

What are the further actions after my submission of all required documents?
    When we receive your documents according to the info sheet “submission of manuscript and texts”, we will check the manuscript regarding printing quality and assign the graphics department with the jacket design. Upon completion of these workings we will send you the inner part and the jacket for your approval.

Who read my manuscript? What are your criteria?
    We sight manuscripts according to our company-internal standards and make a fundamental decision pro and con. There was no detailed appraisal.
    I get the impression that u.p.c. is a wannabe LAP Lambert/Just Fiction! Edition - an author mill in search of authors.

Oh, and another thing: the testimonials on the home page are from people whose names don't appear on any books published by u.p.c., and their photographs look suspiciously like stock images.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

A sub-standard Lulu.com

As far as I can make out, this outfit is just another Print on Demand group. Lulu are the masters in this area, as far as I am concerned. On behalf of a number of authors I have published over 20 books using Lulu and the whole system is brilliant. One slight difference is that these people will read the MS first, but with what publishing skill is anyone's guess. At least they don't look for thousands of Pounds/Dollars/Euros up front like vanity houses do.

One of my specialities is scanning out-of-print books for their authors and publishing on Lulu and/or Amazon Kindle. Two of my clients are in their 80s and are delighted to see more life injected into their work.

By the way, that comment about being paid for the first book just means "from" the first book - not "just" the first book.

These people are in Austria, Lulu is global.

Not recommended.

paranormal erotic romance gingerwoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Anwin View Post
    Anyone knows anything about this publisher?

http://uk.united-pc.eu/publisher/sub...nuscripts.html

Thanks in advance
    Susan these places simply aren't "publishers" not in the sense that you're using the word. As somone said in another thread about these vanity things if it has testimonials from authors on it's website it is rubbish. It is not a place focused on selling books to the public, it has a different business model and that model is selling stuff to wannabe writers with big unrealistic dreams that are going to get crushed.
    Paranormal Romance -Menage - Erotic Romance from Samhain Publishing 4th place for Best Published Paranormal in the Passionate Plume award.

Read the blurb for Wicked Safari and buy it here.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
    http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/

I was dismayed to find that one of upc's authors is the great Scottish folk singer and storyteller Sheila Stewart. She's the author of three previous books, all reputably published by Birlinn Ltd, but her upc book - Nomads of the Road - is unedited ("the author is responsible for the content and correction") and littered with errors. It also retails at £14.80 for 206 pages. It's tragic to see such culturally important work thrown away like this.

It's impossible to sample the books on upc's site but I managed to find some of them on Amazon. For a mere £53.20 you can treat yourself to a two-volume biography (or is it a novel?) running to 1,444 pages, apparently written by someone not on intimate terms with the English language. And don't get me started on a different author's three books for children, one of which has a classic greengrocer's apostrophe in the title and all of which (if the blurbs are anything to go by) feature appalling spelling and grammar.
    Last edited by aliceshortcake; 10-11-2013 at 03:07 PM.

novum publishing GmbH

http://www.novum-publishing.co.uk/home.html

Many authors are disappointed when they offer their work after many years of creating to a publisher who refuses or shows no sign of reaction. Unfortunately, this is very often the case. We believe that every author with a good manuscript is supposed to have a fair chance to present his work to a wide audience around the world. It is our purpose to provide this opportunity.
    Something tells me that this disappointed author is going to have to pay for the privilege of being published.

Today’s novum publishing GmbH was founded in 1997. At the beginning, the company was positioned as service provider – in the field of layouts – for publishers in the German-speaking world. Shortly after that the own publisher with cost sharing by authors was founded. Especially new authors found and will find here the perfect start to the world of publishing. The consequent work paid off rapidly over the years and is reflected in numerous awards.
    Told you so! And why do these people never tell you which awards their books have won? There is an "Awards" page but it's about the awards won by the publisher, not the books:

INNOVATION AWARD 2012

No one can foresee how the future will really look like and in which dimensions the world will change. But what one can say today is clear: innovation, research & development are the growth engines of the future. They form the basis for something new and also provide the basis for progress and prosperity. For these reasons, the state government of Burgenland organises together with the WIBAG the long-term innovation initiative “Good idea, Burgenland!” The novum publishing gmbh was nominated for its innovative publishing model.

Therewith, the initiative wants to set creative, cultural and social impulses and wants to support the visionary spirit of research.
    This Austrian company now has bases in Germany, Hungary, Switzerland, Spain - and now the UK, where they have a strangely familiar address:

novum publishing gmbh,
    Hamilton House, Mabledon Place,
    Bloomsbury, London, WC1H 9BB
    It's the building where Austin Macauley claims to have an office, but it's probably just a mailing address.

Novum publishing is pleased with every manuscript submission. We submit an offer for publication for every good manuscript!
    Oh, I'll just bet you do. And why not? "Cost-sharing" usually means that the author is bearing most of the expense and the publisher is taking no financial risk.

Successfully granted licenses for translations, Braille editions or even film versions show that there is a deep interest in undiscovered authors. Some of our books were nominated for literary prizes and even won them.
    Yes, you already mentioned that.

Thousands of reviews, reports in newspapers and the media as well as publications of up to 10 books by individual authors are an impressive proof that we are on the right track!
    Surely selling lots of books would be proof that you're on the right track?

We are pleased to read your manuscript very soon!
    I think not!

The handful of books in Novum's bookshop are, with one exception, awful English translations of German originals. None of them have Amazon rankings, so one can only hope that the authors managed to sell at least a few copies through the online bookshop.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    We are world record!

Oy.

- Victoria

I'm a bit late to the party here, but United P.C. also trades as Novum Publishing:

http://www.novum-publishing.co.uk/

Many authors are disappointed when they offer their work after many years of writing to a publisher who turns it down or shows no sign of reaction - unfortunately, this is very often the case. We believe that every author with a good manuscript is supposed to have a fair chance on the book market. It is our purpose to provide this opportunity.
    In July 2013 UPC/Novum fell foul of Britain's Advertising Standards Authority:

Two issues were investigated, both of which were Upheld.

Ad
    The website www.united-pc.eu stated "united p.c. publisher - publish easily and at no cost - united p.c. publisher publishes your books and e-books - free, guaranteed, simply!" and "Submit a manuscript or an extract to united p.c. publisher: Manuskripts [sic] per e-mail: [email address ending .eu followed] - Manuskripts [sic] per post: novum publishing gmbh c/o united p.c. publisher [London WC1 postal address followed]".

Issue
    A complainant challenged whether:

1. the claims "publish easily and at no cost" and "united p.c. publisher publishes your books and e-books - free, guaranteed, simply" were misleading, because he found that there were charges associated with editing, design and promotion which were not clarified; and

2. the ad misleadingly suggested that the advertiser was UK-based.

Assessment
    1. Upheld

The ASA noted that the ad used the terms "publish" and "publishes" and stated that that service would be free of charge. We noted that the complainant reported being asked to pay for corrections, designing the front and back covers and the additional cost of publishing an e-book. We asked United Publisher to comment on that and for details of the proportion of respondents who kept to the free of charge contract and the proportion that chose to pay for additional services, but that information was not forthcoming and they did not respond in further detail than is summarised above.

We considered expectations of what would be included in a general offer to publish a book would vary but that respondents were likely to expect some or all of the elements listed above to be included. Because United Publisher had not supplied information that showed other respondents had not incurred similar costs, we concluded that the claims that United Publisher published books free of charge were misleading.

On this point the claims breached CAP Code (Edition 12) rules 3.1 and 3.3 (Misleading advertising), 3.9 (Qualification) and 3.11 (Exaggeration).

2. Upheld

We noted that the legal and contact sections of www.united-pc.eu listed a headquarters address for United Publisher in Austria but that they also listed an address in London for a UK office. We considered respondents were likely to feel more protected if they were dealing with a company based in the UK or which had representatives based in the UK. We considered that the use of contact details for a London office and a website address that, because it ended ".eu", was ambiguous in that it did not explain that the company was based in a country outside the UK, suggested to respondents that they were dealing with a company that was based in the UK and/or which had a permanent base for conducting business in the UK. We noted from United Publisher's response, however, that that would not be the case because the London office was used simply as a point of contact for forwarding manuscripts and documents to the headquarters in Austria. Because we considered the ad suggested United Publisher was based in the UK when that was not the case, we concluded that the ad was misleading.

On this point the ad breached CAP Code (Edition 12) rules 3.1 and 3.3 (Misleading advertising) and 3.9 (Qualification).

Action
    The ad must not appear again in its current form. We told United Publisher not to claim that their service was free of charge if respondents needed to pay costs and not to suggest that they were based in the UK if that was not the case.
    https://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjud...x#.VnKVBeBFAv4
    United P.C. ignored the ruling and are now listed as non-compliant online advertisers.
    Last edited by aliceshortcake; 12-17-2015 at 04:07 PM.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Kewl. Thread for novum publishing merged into united p.c.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: