• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

CheatingResearch.com

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
I say we all volunteer....

for this service and write the world's worst papers.

Take subjects we know absolutely nothing about and make up facts and figures to support our thesis. It would be a good touch to make up information that does not support our conclusions. Adding a sentence to the end of the paper like, "And that's the truth" would simply be icing on the cake.

D.J.

Registered
Reaction score
werencole said:
...Anyway, teachers are not ignorant, and the software does exist, but a good teacher knows when they are being BSed. ...
QUOTE]

Yes, but the software can help cite proof for expultion. My sister grades papers three times each and is extremely thorough. I think those who try to cheat will get caught by teachers who care enough to do their job correctly.
However, in one of my graduate courses, I know several who bought papers via the internet. The sad part is that they were other educators. The professor of the course was long past caring.

Last edited:

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
So, if we are going to make anywhere from 8-16$ per paper this guy must be making about $50 or more. Man, are we in the wrong line of work. Need to be the middle man.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The rough draft should be deliberately rough (no spell check, and don’t edit for grammar) so that the final draft shows a marked improvement.

Humpf. My spelling is pretty darned good, and my grammar skills are outstanding. I type rapidly and accurately, too.

Guy, my first drafts, written at two in the morning fueled by too much coffee and too little sleep, are better than most folks' finished final prose. And for just $16 a page you don't get a second draft.

But this does give me an idea: Take the draft and add errors. Sort of like this:

ITt whas rieally hsard fpor mae tpo ceome orut owf tahe csloset bback wohen Iu wgas ihn htigh sochool bfecause tfhe ctlosets aht mey hiouse wnere sto veery srmall tnhat tehere wtasn't eInough rpoom ian tihem fdor mfe aind mfy ctlothes. Iy'd hbave huad tco hkave tsurned saideways tpo eaven gget ien.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If they don't buy the gay theme, sell the dyslexia!

Mryan (chortle)

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Adding a sentence to the end of the paper like, "And that's the truth" would simply be icing on the cake.

Oh, Allen! You'd be a natural!

But this does give me an idea: Take the draft and add errors.
Still too much work, UJ. I'll just get my cats to walk across the keyboard at key points.

I'd have trouble with the two draft concept as well. First, because I don't drink beer. Second, because, like UJ, my first drafts are better than most people's final papers. Proof? I made it through two master's degrees with and A- average, and I almost never wrote a second draft...

Mayrn -- :ROFL:

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Haha! *Snorts with laughter*

Anyone can read my post in the freelancing board about my experience with a paper mill. (In Writer's Mania thread.) I mostly did it out of curiousity to see how it worked.

I may write an article about it too.

Someone sent an email to me one time to write the admissions essay to a pharmasist school. (Pardon my spelling there.) I nearly fell over. What's next? Doctors asking for term papers? That's scary.

mreddin

Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
Well, your best chance is to convince the admissions board that you are gay. Have us write an essay about how hard it was for you to come out. It isn't not like the admissions board is going to be checking on who you are dating anyway.

I'll volunteer to test them. <evil grin>

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It isn't not like the admissions board is going to be checking on who you are dating anyway.
On the other hand, if forty years from now you're running for the Senate or nominated to the Supreme Court ... that admissions essay is going to be prominently posted all over America.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I love their advice on how to avoid getting caught:
1. Never admit anything!
Astute advice. An admission can never be taken back. Also, it takes a lot of work to prove you cheated. They may not have the motivation or the resources to follow through on it.

(BTW, that advice is just as good if you're accused of any other crime. The first thing you say to the nice police officer should be "I'm sorry, but I really can't talk to you if I don't have my lawyer present."
2. Only use a custom written paper, pre-written papers are easy for teachers to track down.
Ungrammatical, but increasingly accurate. Schools have had no choice but to fight back. But now, thanks to CheatingResearch.com, only poor and working-class kids will get caught!
3. If you have gotten "D"s all semester, let your writer know. If you get an A+ on the final after a pattern like this, a red flag will be raised in the teacher’s mind. If the teacher does ask why this paper is so much better, just say that you felt badly about how you slacked off in the early part of the course, and really went the extra mile to make up for it with this paper.
That's misleading. Working extra-hard on a paper will make it better, but it won't teach you to use the semicolon, the subjunctive, or Turabian footnote formats. It won't smooth out your transitions, or alter your habitual working set of verbs and adjectives.

I've done some grilling in my time. One of my favorites: "How did you go about researching that?" An underappreciated fact of intellectual life is that research methods are habitual and strongly individual. One person will always start by reading two or three encyclopedia entries, or the Britannica micropaedia and macropaedia. Another will pull a few representative number ranges from the card catalog, then go see what's on the shelves in those locations. Another will find the most recent definitive study, and work from the references in it. Some always use periodicals. Some never reference anything that isn't hardbound. Some never reference hardcopy sources. Et cetera.

Another thing about research methods is that people can explain them: "Two or three encyclopedia entries will give me a rough idea of what's what in this topic, so I don't waste a lot of time in backwaters." "Take the card catalog's word on something? No way. I want to go see it for myself." And so forth.

This company's rough draft and revision system will show two different states of a paper. Their advice will teach the student to read through the finished paper and familiarize himself with its main points. What they won't do is tell the student the order in which the research was done, and the logic behind the successive choices of methods and materials.

And here are my follow-up questions: "Where in the library did you find that? How high was the shelf it was on?" "What color is this book? How big is it? Do you remember anything else about it?"
4. If you are accused, offer to show the teacher a rough draft of your work. (Don’t expect to get away with it if you buy a paper from a site that doesn’t give you rough drafts.)
As others have already pointed out, if the rough draft's only difference is that it's full of textual errors, it's not going to be all that convincing -- especially if the student's poor grades on earlier papers were the result of structural or logical problems rather than simple typos and other surface-level errors.
5. Only buy papers from companies that check their writers for plagiarism. Many supposedly custom paper companies will sell the same paper over and over, or copy it outright from somewhere else.
What guarantee is there that CheatingResearch.com isn't doing the exact same thing? Come to think of it, I can demonstrate that they already have all those other much-used papers on file: how else could they check their writers for plagiarism?

Another problem with this guarantee is that the only way to find out whether an author plagiarized hardcopy sources is to go and look through all of those sources, and I very much doubt that CheatingResearch.com is going to do that. For all you know, you could be turning in a slightly modified version of something that's as instantly recognizable in your field as "Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics" or "How Many Children Had Lady Macbeth?" are in English Lit.
6. Make sure that you understand all the words in your paper. If you get a rough draft filled with words you don’t know, tell the writer.
That's a dicey piece of advice if the paper's about The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Gibbon is chock-full of familiar words used in unfamiliar ways. More to the point, the student ought to familiarize himself with the phrases and concepts in the paper. You can understand "new" and "criticism" without having any idea what The New Criticism was. Same goes for knowing "negative" and "capability".
7. Make sure you can briefly state the main argument of the paper and the conclusion.
Excellent advice. All students should be required to do that for their papers.
8. Finally, hold your ground, if you follow all of these steps, there is absolutely no way anyone will be able to prove anything.
Bet me, suckers.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Sadly it is sound, if bad, advice. If I dock grades for plagiarism I am required to be able to prove my claim by providing the source material. Often I can spot a fake but not prove it and boy does it piss me off.

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
And Jim? The message hidden in your "first-draft text"
ITt whas rieally hsard fpor mae tpo ceome orut owf tahe csloset bback wohen Iu wgas ihn htigh sochool bfecause tfhe ctlosets aht mey hiouse wnere sto veery srmall tnhat tehere wtasn't eInough rpoom ian tihem fdor mfe aind mfy ctlothes. Iy'd hbave huad tco hkave tsurned saideways tpo eaven gget ien.
is
This paper was bought off the internet. I paid fifty bucks a page.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
8. Finally, hold your ground, if you follow all of these steps, there is absolutely no way anyone will be able to prove anything.
Bet me, suckers.

Did you use a University mail server?

Dude, your goose is so cooked that you might as well eat it right now.

lauram

Freddie Mercury Devotee
Registered
Reaction score
Geez, if you're paying for potentially D quality papers then why don't you just write your own paper. ;)

That way you won't get in trouble and you won't feel guilty about cheating...:Shrug:

Still, I am wondering who would think to proposition working writers with this offer...

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
On the other hand, if forty years from now you're running for the Senate or nominated to the Supreme Court ... that admissions essay is going to be prominently posted all over America.
If you're running for the Senate forty years from now, you had better pray that CheatingResearch.com went out of business and wiped all its client records. And if "your" old essays get dug up and reproduced, you had better pray that their authors have better things to do with their lives than blackmail you, because they will remember.

A couple of years back, I ran across an essay on a web page which seemed oddly familiar. I swiftly figured out that the essay had plagiarized the introductory chapter of a never-published nonfiction book which I'd been hired to edit and rewrite a quarter-century ago. The author's name appeared nowhere on the site. Heaven only knows how they'd gotten hold of that intro.

Anyway, the material that caught my eye was a chunk of text from the middle of the chapter -- straight exposition, no identifying marks -- but I still knew my own paragraphs as a sheep knoweth its lamb.

Odd fact: Unlike most other public figures, there are no extant specimens of any writing George W. Bush did while he was in school.

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
lauram said:
Still, I am wondering who would think to proposition working writers with this offer...
At sixteen bucks a page? Are you kidding?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sixteen bucks a page? Letters to Penthouse used to go for forty bucks a page.

("I never believed the letters to Penthouse were true until I was assigned to US Naval Station Panama Canal. Boy did my detailer screw me!")

Deleted member 42

Honestly, teachers are brighter than you'd think.

We do spot purchased papers. And there are several reliable techniques for proving that the paper was purchased.

Moreover, particularly in the humanities, it's a trivial matter to fail a paper without having to document the plagiarism or other violating of academic integrity --this is because even a well-written purchased paper will err in various ways because they are written without a context. They tend to suck at fulfilling the intentions of the assignment. Handing in the draft isn't enough; we know more than you think about our students. We also talk to each other, and share student papers with colleagues, both to get a second opinion, and, sometimes, to rejoice in the success of a student.

Turnitin.com, by the way, won't really help you much. It's an astonishingly lame algorithm and a strikingly limited database.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
These are custom written so they will address the question. Sure I am sure I could tell, use of references we don't have is the final giveaway--but where I am proof is required.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Okay, all seriousness aside --- isn't there just a tiny, niggling little part of all of us professional writers that wonders whether we could still pull off getting an A? Money or no?

C'mon . . . 'fess up! :hi:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Cathy C said:
Okay, all seriousness aside --- isn't there just a tiny, niggling little part of all of us professional writers that wonders whether we could still pull off getting an A? Money or no?

C'mon . . . 'fess up! :hi:
Nope. I've only been out of college a few years. I don't need the reassurance. Those A's were just yesterday. The money, however... ;) 'Course, I'm not technically a professional writer yet, so nevermind.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Consider that you're never going to find out whether the paper got an "A." You won't have it come back to you with the instructor's comments on it.

Where's the fun in that?

And besides -- I write "A" papers every day, and get paid for 'em, a lot more that $16/page.

Last edited: