It Feels Like She's My Agent, But...

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
she's not.

I have a potential agent (out of 7 that have the full off one) that has two of my YA novels. The first one I queried her with she liked and was very intriqued with, but wanted me to revise. I did and sent it to her about two weeks ago. I also told her about novel two and she's reading that one too. I mentioned there was a publisher (small but good) that was interested in it too. But they declined it in the end. They had an exclusive on it (and told her not to make any decisions yet) and when they rejected I said I won't be going with them at this time. Anyway, I asked the publisher if I can revise and they're interested and welcomed me to re-query when it's ready, giving me (not specific, but general enough revision tips I know what and how to fix.)

Thing is the potential agent doesn't know they're still interested now. I don't want to keep emailing her back and forth, although she seems very interested in both and was responsive at the time. I haven't heard from her in about two weeks though, I understand she's busy. Should I just wait to hear back from her or should I mention this news?

My feeling says to wait. But I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with an agent like this, keeping the communication lines open, showing your ms or a couple manuscripts and potential publishers that come into play or the revising stages. Would love to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks

retlaw

Banned
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer, but - with the details above - I'm not sure where the conflict lies between these two entities. Do you have a signed contract with either? Or any agreement that either - at this time - is expecting exclusivity? I could see that this may have previously been the case w/the publisher, but you did tell them you weren't going with them, right?

Clearly, "interested" does not mean "agent". It's been two weeks. I think a quick email, "Hey, just checking in. Any news?" would be appropriate. Don't ask don't get,right? :)

But given everything you've said, I definitely wouldn't take silence to mean no longer interested. And - though I know you're anxious - I think that the patience you've exhibited is the right approach.

Last edited:

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think two weeks is that long in agent world. She's probably reading and considering. Is there a time limit on when you have to respond to the publisher? If not, I would wait.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you have an actual offer from the publisher, leave it alone. Until she actually offers you representation, she is merely a prospective agent. And until you have an actual offer from a publisher, it's not going to sway her opinion (or, well, it shouldn't).

And at this point all you could tell her is that the publisher hasn't locked the door on you. They rejected the manuscript, and you asked if you could resubmit if you revise, and they said sure. That's not really them being interested. It's them saying sure, if you want to revise, you can resubmit. No skin off their noses.

And let me clarify something - am I reading this correctly that they rejected the manuscript and you told her "I won't be going with them at this time." That may make it seem like it was your decision. If so...Be very careful about saying things that if she asks for clarification, or contacts them herself, it looks like you were trying to pull a fast one. Agenting relationships are built on a certain level of professional trust. You can really sink one by playing games in the querying stage.

~suki

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
No, I've been honest and straightforward with both sides actually. I said to the potential agent "I won't be going with said publisher at this time" because I wasn't sure what they were going to come back with, if they would come back with anything at all. They did respond, positively too. No, they're not interested in publishing it now, but will look at it again if I choose to revise to their expectations. Like I said, they didn't go into detail but just an overview of what they'd like to see done with the ms. Now I said that, not only for that reason, but also I didn't want it to sway her decisions one way or the other. I was simply stating the facts.

Like I said, she isn't my agent, not yet, and maybe never will be. I just like her most because she's been most responsive to my work and is the only one that has both of my novels and is considering both of them. She may reject one or the other or both and case over then.

I am just going to wait to see what she comes back with. She may even tell me to revise one of them again, or both...God, not that.

Anyway, thanks for all the input. Much appreciate.