I might learn to play Jazz

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60'
I have a new friend that needs a keyboard player to accompany him while he plays the saxophone. He has two degrees in music and he'll be teaching me keyboard from scratch. I hope it works out I enjoy all types of music like experimental, electronic, folk, new age, etc. And when I asked him where jazz came from he said it came from Blues and Dixieland. When I was younger I used to listen to Dixieland all day on the radio, so needless to say I'm pretty excited about this.

Lunabird

Alive in the silence
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eilaisabanya.wordpress.com
I love jazz. It can be so intricate (and just plain crazy), and has so much energy. I haven't played it much, although I do play an instrument, but I've always wanted to. So hooray for you, I say!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... that's cool. Monk is one of my favorite pianists. He played a swing style of bebop and left out notes and chords. Unique style. Art Tatum was wild too. People swore there were two pianists when they heard him play!

G'luck.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
I made part of my living for most of my life as a jazz pianist. I am happy to answer questions you might post. But it can get complex. I recommend the following discussion forum.

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/

Several professional jazz pianists are members.

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60'
Thanks for the reply, my internet was down during Hurricane Sandy so that's why it has taken me a while to reply.

Anyway, Thanks the replies

To Ken: So far I've been listening to Stan Getz, Bill Evans, Charlie Parker, Ornette Coleman, and Sun Ra among other popular ones.

To Al Stevens: Could you recommend a beginners booklet, I'm learning the chords at the moment and how to write them on paper. So any beginner stuff would be helpful. I have a friend with two music degrees teaching me on his spare time, but I haven't seen him in a while so I would like to learn on my own as well.

TheKoB

Smooth Operator
Registered
Reaction score
So rad to encounter people who like jazz as well haha!
Don't wanna turn this into a jazz video thread, but I believe John Hicks deserves a little bit more of your estimated attention. That uncle is insanely good.
http://youtu.be/deq1VSHPIDs

Anyway, I played on a digital piano for 2 years, teaching myself the best I could.
Beware though, playing piano can be incredibly fun, yet it is also more work than you probably imagine.
But then again you have people to play with, which is also a huge incentive.

Wish more people would play jazz; so hard to find a band over here :(