• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ricia Mainhardt Agency

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I think if you go against the submission guidelines (sending attachments), many agents won't bother with a response. They'll just trashcan the email.

As for the original post, I assume this was a partial manuscript sent and you included a manila envelope with sufficient postage and also included a synopsis and query letter and didn't requery with the rude wording you put in the original post... If so, I would write them again and ask if they could please send back your materials.

(Personally, I wouldn't worry about having partials returned since you'll spend as much or more on postage as on paper, and if you are super environment concerned, email would be the best option.)

AlanaHarbison

Registered
Reaction score
I am curious as to whether there's any new news about this agent??? She sent me request for a full a few weeks ago, and though I am not expecting a reply so soon after sending a full MS, I am wondering if I should wait patiently or continue to submit to other agents. If anyone has heard anything good on the RMA front in the way of contracts or sales, I would love to hear it.

Thanks

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I don't know anything about this agent, but to answer the other part of your question: Yes, you should keep submitting to other agents. A full request--while awesome--doesn't always, or even usually, translate into an offer of representation.

In other news, congratulations!

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
I randomly wanted to check out this agent (curiosity, considering some of the names she once represented) and came across this on her website;

"Other people formerly on our list who joined us as unpublished authors have years later been "poached" by huge agencies looking for ready-made stars."

Can't lie, this phrasing makes me really uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Shayk1951

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I submitted to her before Christmas. Then about three month ago, she added me to her friends list on Facebook. When I PM'ed her about my submission, she told me she remembered me submitting but hadn't had a chance to read it but give her a week to get through some other things and she would read it. I PM'ed her about a week later, but she said she was going through some tax things and she would let me know when she was available. That was in April this year. I'm still waiting to hear from her, as of this date. My friend said I should wait until the end of June and if I haven't heard from her by then, to start submitting to other agents.

Shay

Last edited:

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I submitted to her before Christmas. Then about three month ago, she added me to her friends list on Facebook. When I PM'ed her about my submission, she told me she remembered me submitting but hadn't had a chance to read it but give her a week to get through some other things and she would read it. I PM'ed her about a week later, but she said she was going through some tax things and she would let me know when she was available. That was in April this year. I'm still waiting to hear from her, as of this date. My friend said I should wait until the end of June and if I haven't heard from her by then, to start submitting to other agents.

Shay

Shay, did she ask for/did you grant her an exclusive? If not, there's no reason to wait to submit to other agents. Submitting widely* is in your best interest; you want to give yourself every opportunity to find the best agent match for you.

If you did grant her an exclusive, I still think you're well within your rights to start submitting widely. Exclusives should only last for a few weeks or a month at most. It's best to set those terms in writing when you grant the exclusive, but even if you didn't, the agent has had plenty of time. Just e-mail her back and inform her that she's welcome to keep considering the manuscript but that you're revoking the exclusive and plan to submit to other agents right away.

Good luck!

*I'm probably preaching to the choir, but submitting widely isn't the same as submitting randomly or submitting stupidly. You still want to do the research and make sure you're only targeting agents who might be genuinely interested in your book (i.e., they say they represent manuscripts in your category/genre). It's also a good idea to query in batches so you don't exhaust your entire list before finding out that your query isn't working or that everyone who reads the manuscript doesn't like your MC.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Shay, I'm with Krista above. Do send to other agents. Non-response after repeated nudging doesn't always mean "no", but IMO it does mean you are free to query anyone else who might be a good fit. I know your stuff, and by now I'm 110% sure you're ready to take it to the next level.

When I was agent-hunting, I made an Excel spreadsheet with my A-list "most-wanted" agents, what I'd sent to them, in what form, and what date. Also entered the results when I got 'em -- no response, send full, or no. I did the same thing with my B-list agents and worked through what I needed to on that list. I kept these names and results on the same spreadsheet and also a "worth a try but probably a non-starter" agents as well. It helped keep me on track date-wise and helped me move on if my submission was completely ignored, which many times it was.

HTH.

May your work find favor!

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody else have any recent interactions with this agent? Not sure if I want to submit, considering what I've read here. Website hasn't been updated since '14, either.

PeggyAnn

Registered
Reaction score
Ricia is a great agent. Anyone who has a manuscript with her, or has queried her, she has been diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer, and although she's a fighter and we all expect her to pull through, it may be a little while before she can get back to every one. Please send good thoughts her way. She posted this on her Facebook Page today:
"I'm having a tough recovery from my cancer surgery of July 11th. I had a fall when I was sleeping. Fell on my shoulder and seem to have inflicted some damage to my lymph system. I'm retaining fluid in that surgical sight. So I can't do any lifting of much at all and can't extend my arm without more fluid build up. I have a large compression bandage on the area. Found if I didn't extend the bandage beyond the retention area, the fluid just extended its reach. So I will deal with this till next Tuesday when I have my next surgical appnt."

Shayk1951

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Rowan,

I know Ricia. I submitted my paranormal romance novel. I've been texting her and chatting with her on FB for the past year to 18 months. Soon after she began recovering from her car accident, she was diagnosed with breast cancer and was under chemo and radiation therapy, then just as she was getting over that, she was diagnosed with MS. She is back at work and I would suggest you get in touch with her again, about your manuscript.

In fact, she has asked for three manuscripts from me. I write in four genres and she wants one in the three major ones. I've sent the paranormal; am rewriting the SF, and will start on the romantic suspense as soon as I send the SF to her.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Aren't any that I can find. Site hasn't been updated since '14, TW '18. Anyone have recent contact?