• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ricia Mainhardt Agency

The Scribbler

Registered
Reaction score
I was researching this agency along with several others on my list, but have not found out much. I know they are listed on P&E with no $. They sound legit from the info on the agency website, but it seems kind of dated. Anyone have any newer information about this agency? Thanks

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query package 8-9 months ago and never heard back. I had previously queried by e-mail and got no reply to that either

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...Considering how active she was as agent and editor, the fact that the most recent mention of her is her attendance at a memorial service in 2004 makes me think she's retired.
:Shrug:

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Sent a query via email close to month ago ...no reply. If I remember correctly Jim Butcher is a client, in my research it sounds like she's still working...hmmmm I must go recheck.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Her site hasn't been updated since 2002.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Baywitch said:
Sent a query via email close to month ago ...no reply. If I remember correctly Jim Butcher is a client, in my research it sounds like she's still working...hmmmm I must go recheck.

You sure about Jim Butcher? I'm sure I've seen him quoted as client on someone else's site

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Her client list has included Ray Garton (Simon and Schuster, among others) in horror, children's fiction, and novelizations, Michael A. Stackpole (Bantam, HarperCollins) in science fiction and fantasy, Richard Lee Byers (Minstrel [S&S]) in fantasy, Jim Butcher (Roc) in "gumshoe fantasy," Janeen O'Kerry (Dorchester) in historical and time-travel romance, Jennifer Dunne (New Concepts) in science fiction romance, and Loree Lough (Harlequin) in romance.
(From her website,that hasn't been updated)

Perhaps she no longer represents Mr.Butcher.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
[Redacted by author.]

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I do know that Jim Butcher is presently represented by Donald Maass, but he was indeed represented by Ricia Mainhardt on his first few books. Don't know about the others. But there aren't any sales for her on Publisher's Marketplace from 2003-2006. It may be that she's on hiatus or retired.

DED

Lives Under a Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dedzone.net
Me too

I queried her for email query submission guidelines (website seemed contradictory) on 3/2 but haven't got a response. I tried calling the main phone line (website said that it was ok to do so) but all I got was modem noise. Thinking that the fax line and phone line were switched, I called the fax line. But the phone just kept ringing and ringing. No answering machine.

\_/
DED

MicheleLee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelelee.net
"Chill"

LOL I'm not difficult. I sent a query after a year, all polite and calm. See? I practice what I preach. I even sent a retraction in January of this year. At least the email address still works.
:D:tongue

Speed

Registered
Reaction score
Cancel the previous stories. Ricia Mainhardt disappeared from the agenting landscape because she was severely injured in an automobile accident. She's been years recovering, and hasn't finished yet.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
"And just who do you tink you are, dat you order dees people about?" -- Police Inspector Hans Wilhelm Friederich Kemp (Young Frankenstein)

Really, I'm not being antagonistic, Speed. In fact, welcome to AW. I'm just always a little concerned when I see a new member who posts with such authority. Do you work in the publishing industry? A little in the bona fides department goes a long way.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Rugrat...

Super Oooops! I meant rugcat...but the blasted thing wouldn't allow me to make a correction..only to the body of the memo. Looks like glitter filled cards are coming my way now. Grrrr. Sorry to mess up your penname.

Have you been reading the Vivian Beck boards??? Cuzzzzz...that 'Chilllllll, nobody wants a difficult writer'.....I'm giggling too much to type properly and have had to backspace several times. Just curious if you're humor is twisted...because it certainly entertains!:roll:
And, hey...after five years..gosh darn..ye' think Ricia might consider it pushy if queried for an update on the status of said manuscript?

Another agent recommended Ms. Ricia Mainhardt to me. Never heard back.
Now that I think of it...perhaps that agent had a warped sense of humor too. Hmmmm. Maybe I'll send her a thank you card..filled with glitter...heheheh.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Clearly the situation with Ricia Mainhardt is a different story. No one seems to have had any contact with the agency in the last couple of years. Although the website is still up and running, it apparently hasn’t been updated for quite a while. Jim Butcher is still listed as a client, although he is currently, I believe, with Jennifer Jackson. And note this blurb for another author:

“...DOOMSDAY DECK... will be on the shelves later in 2002.”

Poster SPEED asserts she was in an automobile accident, thus the disappearance from the agenting scene. Whatever the reason, she is clearly not soliciting new submissions nor corresponding with aspiring writers, so it would seem a waste of time submitting to her.

Speed

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Roger.

Yes, I do have bona fides.

This isn't one of those instances where a bad agent fakes their own illness or death to get out of difficult circumstances. Ricia really was badly injured. Word didn't get out until relatively recently, when she turned up at a publishing-related occasion in New York.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Well wishes

Let us hope she makes a recovery to, at the very least, carry on with life as we would all like to. As for agenting, if her website was abandoned, yet she was very successful when in full swing, I can only imagine it must have been near tragic, whatever happened to her.

Though we may have to shuffled down a different road now in search of different agents, may she prosper with her health and well being.:e2flowers

Karey

Speed

Registered
Reaction score
It's never a bad idea to remember someone in your prayers.