Just received a twit-spam from these people at Publish Me Instantly.
Copied from their website (bolding is theirs):
- No Crazy Upfront Fees (which with many companies can cost $10,000 plus)
- No holding of inventory. The cost of printing your book is deducted at the point of sale. The price you pay upfront for this service is all you will pay. Simply submit and watch the royalty checks roll in.
- Solid commission structure. 30-70 % royalties!
- Being recognized and promoted on the #1 marketplace in the world for purchasing books. Who doesn't shop on Amazon for books?
- Get marketed to 300,000 avid twitter followers (get exposure fast to your product).
Yeah, great marketing, they are sending twit-spam to every author they can find to friend.
They offer editing services:
Basic Editing: This service is editing for grammatical errors, tense issues, subject-verb agreement, typographical errors, spelling and capitalization.
Books under 100 pages $199
Books up to 200 pages $399
Books up to 300 pages $599
There is no listing of who is doing these edits but if they're doing it themselves... Well read some of their website, you'll get the idea.
Publishing services offered (italics mine):
You will not find an easier solution to your publishing needs. Publish Me Instantly is simple to use, with personal service and enjoy our affordable hassle free service. Simply follow our straight forward check list and let us take care of the rest!
Kindle Edition (electronic version only) $199
Paperback Version $299
Premium Kindle and Paperback Amazon version $399. Save $99 by having them published electronically and on paper at the same time.
With this package we will also promote your book to our 300,000 twitter followers at no cost for 5 days!
Their costs are way out of line since Amazon actually creates the ebook for you from a file you can format yourself. They only offer the Kindle for this cost, I know of places that do ALL formats for less than their base fee. Printing is done--from the way they word things on this site--via CreateSpace is my guess. If so, you can do this yourself too without using them as a costly middleman.
Custom Cover Design $99:
I've seen freelancers who do reasonably good cover art who only charge $25, you can also get premade covers for romance novels through Jimmy Thomas' site for less than their fee.
Their about us page summed up: We couldn't get our work published anywhere so we did it ourselves and now we're going to help you get published too.
As far as I can see this is another 'gouge the unsuspecting author for as much money as we can' pay to play publisher.