Queries

Ton Lew Lepsnaci

A WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Do agents use queries purely to filter submissions or do queries play a role subsequently in pitching the work to publishers?

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
That can happen sometimes, with a really great author query--but it's not routine. And if it's the agent's policy to use the writer's own query, or if the agent asks you to write a query for him/her to use for publishers, it's a warning sign. The agent may be inexperienced, or may be trying to save him/herself work by passing it on to you.

- Victoria

Renee Collins

Plotting . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightmeditations.blogspot.com
My agent used my query as a base, and worked it into something really awesome to pitch to editors. People always say that crafting a pitch is a separate skill from actual writing, and I agree. My query wasn't bad, but I'm no salesperson. My agent is. Yet another reason it's important to have one. :)

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
My agent used my query as a base, and worked it into something really awesome to pitch to editors. People always say that crafting a pitch is a separate skill from actual writing, and I agree. My query wasn't bad, but I'm no salesperson. My agent is. Yet another reason it's important to have one. :)

This is my understanding of how a query works with regard to the pitch to publishers as well. (For most agents, anyway.) And the reason why: they know what they're pitching.

There's a query and resulting pitch on pubrants; let me see if I can find it--but if I can't, it's a great blog to read anyway if you haven't. pubrants.blogspot.com

Edit: found several of them by using the tags. Check out this tag URL.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of authors' queries being used as pitches. And as cover copy. Cyia's amazing query eventually became her cover copy, word-for-word.

That can happen sometimes, with a really great author query--but it's not routine.

I would just like to point out that while this was the case with ONE of my novels, it was NOT the case with the other. My agent made the pitches that she thought would best suit the editors she was approaching.

Querying an agent =/= agent subbing to an editor in most cases. The agent knows better how to phrase things, and which parts of a novel will appeal most to a given editor. They highlight those parts in their pitch, so it may look nothing at all like the query letter used by the author.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Querying an agent =/= agent subbing to an editor in most cases. The agent knows better how to phrase things, and which parts of a novel will appeal most to a given editor. They highlight those parts in their pitch, so it may look nothing at all like the query letter used by the author.

I agree. My agent crafts her own pitches (way better than anything I could have come up with). If there's a request, she includes the synopsis with the ms.

- Victoria