Different Genres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
If this is the wrong forum,I apologize.

For the writers who write in multiple genres, as far as marketing/promotion goes,do you put all the books up at once?

Or do you wait until you are established in one genre before bringing out books in a different one?

I ask because I have a few books I am going to self-pub,but they are all different genres. I am unsure as to whether I should:

A)Start with one.
B) Release them monthly.
C)Release them all but use pen names for each.

Any advice,thoughts,etc would be greatly appreciated!

SamanthaLehane

Not all who wander are lost
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, that is a good question. I've wondered that myself.

I would think that using different pen names would help you narrow your marketing and focus on specific genre readers. I have no doubt that there is overlap between cozy mystery readers and erotica fans, but you'd be able to have different brands that can develop their own readerships. Readers seem to expect the same genre/style from writers so it might hurt your sales for a christian novel, for example, if your next book has a menage tois pairing.

These are all just observations from what I've seen other writers do.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Kitty, I'd put each one up as soon as you're sure it's ready. I'm not sure that delaying them will help any; and the longer they're up, the more time they have to sell, right?

Just make sure that it's made clear, in each book's description/blurb, that they're of different genres so that people don't buy them expecting something else.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Kitty, I'd put each one up as soon as you're sure it's ready. I'm not sure that delaying them will help any; and the longer they're up, the more time they have to sell, right?

Just make sure that it's made clear, in each book's description/blurb, that they're of different genres so that people don't buy them expecting something else.

Thank you both!

I figured as much. I just wanted confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.