Plot-In

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Need help with your plot? Just want to share what you got so far? It's October, so if you haven't started plotting your NaNo novel, it's time (unless you're a pantser of course). Let's hear your premises, plots, and problems :D

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I have a plot, I have a main character, but no outline. (I never outline.)

My story involves zombies, reality television, and a conspiracy.

Bonus: I based it all on a Dave Matthews Band song. I can't wait till November. :D :hooray:

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a great main character and a great premise. My problem is that I never have an actual plot. :e2bummed:

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I have a general plot, a main character, and side characters. But I never feel like I know what I'm doing when it comes to plotting.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I have a great main character and a great premise. My problem is that I never have an actual plot. :e2bummed:

*fist bump* Me neither, Smish. Me neither.

I've got a setting, an elaborate magic system, some pretty nifty characters, and a fistful of awesome moments to try and connect the dots between. My big subplot is actually more fleshed out than the main plot.

crimeandthecity

Registered
Reaction score
*fist bump* Me neither, Smish. Me neither.

I've got a setting, an elaborate magic system, some pretty nifty characters, and a fistful of awesome moments to try and connect the dots between. My big subplot is actually more fleshed out than the main plot.

Same here. I always have a ton of smaller things I want to happen and only a vague idea of how they connect to each other. But I have plenty of characters!

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Plotting like mad here. It's going to what I call a "portable outline" this year - that is on notecards. Makes it very easy to carry around along with my netbook and whip it out when I have a chance to do some writing.

I've got the plot (with a couple of spots that need fleshing out), a setting I love. 2 main characters, a key supporting character and a villain. I need to brainstorm up some additional characters. I know the general romantic and emotional arc of the lead characters through the story. I'm almost set. Need to do some research - about oil rigs, weapons, boats, PTSD, women in the US military, the effects of dehydration and exposure, oh and zombies. :D

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I've been procrastinating on the synopsis threads. Mine's here.

Still have to finish my outline; I have the overall arc and most of the scenes. Some names and places would be nice too.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I was planning on doing my "gypsies in space" book, and I've been researching the Rom for a couple months, but despite thinking about the book for a while, I haven't made much progress on the plot or characters. I also have been worrying that it might be too serious a story to work on for NaNo, which works better,IMO, if you can have fun with it.

Then an agent jokingly tweeted that she wanted to read a "paranormal bromance." But the idea took root and now I think this is what I'm going to do. I have characters and backstory already, and the bare beginnings of a plot, and I've only really been thinking about it since Thursday night. So this is probably what I'll do :)

I tend to do a loose outline in the form of a soundtrack that evolves as I write. I also usually have a few scenes to aim for, like KateSmash. Last year I wrote some plot points down on post-its (but I didn't have the ability to do a soundtrack for those books).

RaineeRose

We're moving on...
Registered
Reaction score
I have the vaguest idea of a main character and maybe an opening scene, but beyond that, I have no idea. I'm starting to freak out.

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
Ach ... I have a kind of plot, but I'm tied in knots with it.

My main character was going to be female, and that's how I've been thinking about it, on and off, for weeks, but it now seems that this doesn't work: another character with whom MC has a relationship has a "possible pregnancy issue", essential to the plot, and I think I'm going to have to make MC male. Which won't be so easy.
cheeky-smiley-013.gif

I know, I know: you'd think that by this stage, an issue of such fundamental importance would be resolved. :eek:
speechless-smiley-034.gif
:eek:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I changed my mind about who was the MC/POV character two chapters in for my last novel

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Plot is chosen and synopsis is up on the site. This takes me from, "OMG, I'm not ready," to "Bring it on!"

IronDragon

Normal isn’t a virtue
Registered
Reaction score
This year’s NaNo will be the sequel to my WIP DAGGER OF THE INCUBUS

It is a steampunk novel set in 1881London So I have my setting and characters : Damian is a failed wizard and occasional con artist who loves the finer things in life. Katherine is a recent widow whose dreams predict the future. Otto is a troubled engineer that refuses to go anywhere without a half dozen of his tiny mechanical pets.
And I have a title: THE VELVETEEN ROBOT

Not much of a plot yet. In fact all I have is this very short synopsis: THE VELVETEEN ROBOT occurs shortly after the events in DAGGER. At one point in DAGGER Otto will significantly alter the inner workings of a servant automaton inadvertently making it self-aware…and just a touch insane.
So what does a suddenly sentient and unbalanced robot do when it realizes that suddenly anything is possible? It does the only logical thing, it goes on a killing spree.

Reaction score
This one's fantasy, but with a real-world-historical inspiration...

Pharaoh Sekhmethotep, the proud matriarch of Kametu, has taken a stand against the power wielded by her corrupt priesthood. In retaliation the priests have her abducted and sold to foreign slavers who ship her westward to a faraway sugarcane plantation. Now brutalized by a regime of racialized oppression, Sekhmethotep must climb out of her slave status, liberate her fellow slaves, and win back her throne.

Unfortunately I don't have much more than the beginning act figured out right now. :(

xKatya

Registered
Reaction score
IronDragon, I love that title!

I'm still very much in the initial brainstorming stages, and trying to get back into the worldbuilding groove, actually - the project I did for Camp was the first non-secondworld thing of any length I've done, but there was something nice about not having to frantically make up setting details on the spot in the rush of NaNoing.

I apparently decided I was going to saddle myself with a plot that requires a large(r) cast of characters this time around, too, so right now I'm trying to name them all. The heroine's actually proving to be one of the hardest to name, because I keep going back and forth on whether I want her name to be evocative of Snow White (and if so to what extent), or if I want to go in another direction entirely.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
There's a naming section of the NaNo forums, if that's any help to you.

I once was going to have a Snow White character. I considered Bianca and Nevada for her name.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
For folks having plotting troubles, I've got two free(ish) resources for you.

First, the podcast Writing Excuses breaks down a Seven Point Story Structure - it's honestly the only way I've found to outline that works for me. It's just enough info to satisfy most pantsers. Plus it's short and entertaining. I'd watch the videos in the notes too, since he puts up some super clear examples using Harry Potter and the Matrix.

The second isn't exactly free, but if you have access to the Kindle Lending Library, it might be worth it to borrow The Busy Writer's One Hour Plot. It won't get you anywhere near close to an outline and it won't teach you anything new about craft - but it will give one doozy of a brainstorm. It's short, very short. In total it should take you about an hour to read and then the hour to go through the technique. I did it this weekend and wound up with pages of notes. Worth a shot if you need to fill out your premise with more concrete ideas.

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
For my NaNo - My first gulp! - I'm moving away slightly from my comfort of crime and moving to a sci-fi/conspiracy with an amnesiac and an assassin.

Just in the planning process which should be done by the end of this month.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Did you enter 30C30D, Iamwriter? Your description sounds familiar, but I could be mixing it up with another assassin synopsis I saw there.

*loves the 30C30D thread*

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Did you enter 30C30D, Iamwriter? Your description sounds familiar, but I could be mixing it up with another assassin synopsis I saw there.

*loves the 30C30D thread*

No. I have no idea what the 30C30D thread is...
(goes to search)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
30 Covers, 30 Days. Which I love.

NaNo gets professional artists to volunteer their time, and every day of NaNo someone is chosen and a cover is made for their book. 3 people are chosen as potentials for each day, and the artist chooses the one he or she wants to make a cover for.

You need a synopsis and title, but you don't necessarily have to post it before NaNo starts. There's a nomination thread, and you can nominate yourself or someone else.

2 years ago, I had one made for my NaNo novel. It was called "Nano Kid" so I think the name might have had something to do with it being chosen ;)

Catalyn

Nano'ing....
Registered
Reaction score
Plotting is going slightly better than expected. I had a couple of characters and a basic premise, then I started to work on a synopsis for the hell of it and actually worked out a lot of plot from that. I tend to work better without a strict outline so will probably just jot down a few more scenes and then let it all percolate in my brain until November.

The synopsis did introduce some things which break out from the spirit world while it is unguarded - I'm pretty sure these things are my brain's attempt to include zombies in my novel. :)

nerdyglam

Registered
Reaction score
For folks having plotting troubles, I've got two free(ish) resources for you.

First, the podcast Writing Excuses breaks down a Seven Point Story Structure - it's honestly the only way I've found to outline that works for me. It's just enough info to satisfy most pantsers. Plus it's short and entertaining. I'd watch the videos in the notes too, since he puts up some super clear examples using Harry Potter and the Matrix.

Thank you so much for posting that link. The videos are great.