Please help: Avast anti-virus refuses to update

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Just got a note from Avast Anti-virus that it tried to update and cannot. The error message it gave is this:
Last encountered error: Invalid file signature. Setup will terminate.

I've tried updating several times and get this same message every time. It starts to update and then it stops and the error message comes up. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to try to fix it?

I'm not very computer literate. Several here have helped me in the past and I appreciate it.

Thanks so much.
Keyboard Hound

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
It looks like Avast might be having some problems with their server; a lot of others are having the same problem. Keep trying, it should get ironed out soon.

Also, clean out your temporary files to get rid of any corrupted partial downloads that might be causing problems:

Download CleanAfterMe -- download links are way down on the page. Get the "Executable only" one, run it from wherever you want to save it. You won't have to change any default settings or fiddle around. This is the simplest option I can think of. Use it as often as you want, it's quite harmless. Cleaning up frequently prevents a lot of web browser problems too.

If it goes on farking off, you can always uninstall it and get Micro$oft's own free MSE, which is really quite good.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Madera. You are always so willing to give you time and I appreciate it so much. When I got back on tonight, Avast had updated on its own. I'm so computer illiterate I panic when I think things are not going to work. You are a lifesaver. If I can ever do anything for you, I'd be glad to. I'm better at editing than I am at technical things.